Anime Mages

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anime Mages

So, I've been on a bit of a Yu Yu Hakusho kick for a week now. And it occured to me that their magic system is actually consistent enough to maybe form the basis of a character in mage.

Then it occured to me, how would you use spheres to reproduce the typical fight tropes of a shonen anime?

Life 2 healing to have an attack have 'missed any vital spots.' with it becoming more vulgar the more obviously vital the hit was?

Forces 3 for anime leaps.

Break out the Akashic Brotherhood Tradition Book.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
      Break out the Akashic Brotherhood Tradition Book.
      Dragons of the east in general

Comment

While, with good reason, people get a bit meh on it, M20's How Do You Do That does have a whole chapter that's relevant to this.

Though unless you're planning on running a game in the Umbra (which is fair if you're talking YYH) Vulgar is going to pretty quickly kick most shonen tropes off the table. More martial arts focused titles like Fist of the North Star or Baki the Grappler are going to be much easier shonen stories to practically accomplish with Mage.

Comment

In Naruto, summoning of spirit animals is basically something Marauders do (they call it "Zooterrorism" in some of the books.) You use Spirit to summon a spirit powerful enough to use the Materialize charm across the Gauntlet (which, I think, would be coincidental, since the "True Magick" part is the summoning--the overt part is accomplished via the Spirit's own static powers.) Similarly, being Jinchuriki, is just Spirit 4, and finding a spirit with a lot of power and the right charms (though, since we're talking about Shonen here, "Blast" is probably nonnegotiable lol.) The interesting thing there is that Spirit 4 covers both methods for creating a Jinchuriki (i.e., subjugation, or making nice-nice.)

Obviously this is very Naruto-specific, but Naruto is far from the only shonen in which people summon fantastical creatures to fight on their behalf, or use/absorb their power.

Another fun one is that the "Caster Gun" from Outlaw Star is big gun that activates cylindrical Charms.

Sig

Comment

Getting a powerful spirit patron to either eat paradox or simply prevent people from perceiving anything paradoxical ( an area effect version of the Blatancy skill? ). You'd need a pact of some kind and rules covering honorable use of the patronage.

The rules required could help encourage acting like Anime characters.

Comment

Even with Allies 5, Avatar 5, Blessing 5, Familiar 5, Legend 5, Totem 5 and I guess swiping the Possessed rules from WtA and allowing mages to be possessed without it interfering with being mages... you're not actually going to be a running around Paradox free as you pull off ninjustu like Naruto does or some such.

Sure, all of that is going to make for a very powerful mage that can do a lot of stuff, but that's in the context of Mage, not in the context of shonen manga/anime.

Comment

I thought the Akashic Brotherhood was the anime tradition?

Plus how would you use a stand/persona?

Comment

The Akashics are the "Physical discipline is Magic," Tradition, which covers some common anime stuff, and lots of other stuff, just as anime - even shonen anime - is a hell of a lot broader.

Though if you wanted something close to a Stand? Manifest Avatar attached to a Familiar built with M20 Gods & Monsters has the basic mechanics. Even if, again, you're not getting anything as bizarre as the source inspiration.

Comment

The big point is that Anime doesn't push a Subtle world. There is no masquerade/Rule of shade/Veil for some reason in a world where demons blatantly exist and psychic detectives can blast you iwth their finger people don't believe in the supernatural.

Now the Nasuverse(Fate series, Meltyblood, etc) does have Rule of Shade/Veil/Masquerade and does cover how these over the top battles could exist in a world that looks generally like ours without people knowing the way of wizards and Vampires. Alot of stuff happens in parallel reality zones, or extra dimensions(the equivalent of the umbra). I would imagine it would be relatively easy to replicate much fo the spells in the series and have had Servants show up in games in the past.(They are summoned High Umbral spirits... some more powerful than others... Don't summon Gilgamesh)

The various metaphysics of the Persona games also might be a good source for a Paradigm and Practice...

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
                      More martial arts focused titles like Fist of the North Star or Baki the Grappler are going to be much easier shonen stories to practically accomplish with Mage.
                      I really need to find a way to watch the original Baki series somehow. I've only seen the recent Netflix sequel, which is pretty good, although I could tell by about episode 3 or so that I was clearly missing a lot of backstory.

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
                      The Akashics are the "Physical discipline is Magic," Tradition, which covers some common anime stuff, and lots of other stuff, just as anime - even shonen anime - is a hell of a lot broader.
                      I think they're more the "reality is an illusion, and once you see past it, physical limitations no longer matter" tradition.
                      The Euthanatoi, Celestial Chorus, Dreamspeakers and certain Hermetics also get into the whole "superhuman warrior" schtick to some degree. (Wu Lung, Batini, and Templars as well.) There's a place for that in the Verbena and Etherites also, IMO at least.
                      Last edited by No One of Consequence; 12-23-2020, 10:50 PM.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                      Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
                        The big point is that Anime doesn't push a Subtle world. There is no masquerade/Rule of shade/Veil for some reason in a world where demons blatantly exist and psychic detectives can blast you iwth their finger people don't believe in the supernatural.
                        I think Jujutsu Kaisen is about the only thing I've seen recently that has any degree of "masquerade" going on.

As opposed to, say, God of High School, which started as a high school sports tournament and escalated very quickly.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                        Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

The God of High School has the kind of masquerade the Traditions wish they had. Simply put, in a world where this is not magic:

Who’s ever going to suspect that this is:

Comment

I think that's really missing the point. the WOD broadly promotes a "The world looks like ours" with some differences but most of the crazy shit being shifted off into other realms. I think that would be how one would have to integrate a more "anime" situation. Stands would go back to being metaphors for psychic fights. Battles with spirits require trips to the spirit plane though failing to stop them might cause unexplained fires.. that sort of thing.

Comment

Working...
                            X