Anime Mages

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    The God of High School has the kind of masquerade the Traditions wish they had. Simply put, in a world where this is not magic:
    As far as I am aware, it is a world where certain people have power from either directly channeling the power of gods and other divine archetypes or are able to wield the power of divine weapons. The only real exceptions to this are one character who is apparently the single most bad ass normal human being on the planet, and his grandson, who is an even more unique case.

But the masses of people watching the fights largely seem to accept the manifestation of divine power as totally normal. Though this may be some sort of commentary by the creator about Korean/Asian worldviews vs those of Westerners; I can't really tell. (The American government seems seriously alarmed by events.)

I suppose in Mage, it is entirely possible that an over the top anime style battle might result in some sort of Paradox backlash that seals the fight of from mundane reality. Alternately, a Mauder who believes they are a shonen battle anime character may have some sort of reality bubble around them which sucks everyone in it into the delusion until the Marauder goes elsewhere , at which point they remember damage and destruction as the result of some sort of disaster or othe event.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

A lot of urban fantasy anime do something to the extent of, "normal humans can't see the supernatural for what it really is and try to rationalize whatever impact they do see as best they can."

My point though, was that "anime" is a lot bigger than big flashy supernatural fights. Shonen is bigger than that. Gundam is a shonen anime franchise and it'd be even harder to pull off in Mage besides taking it to the Umbra because Paradox would wreck mecha way harder than it would smack you for tossing a few ki blasts at someone. Sword Art Online is a shonen anime, and basically doesn't require any sort of adjustment to do in Mage because that's just bog standard VA/ME stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
        The various metaphysics of the Persona games also might be a good source for a Paradigm and Practice...
        Actually there is a Craft introduced in M20 that is basically the SMT/Persona Craft, the Mirainohmen. Sadly they only got a couple sentences in the section discussing future potential members of the Disparate Alliance. As a fan of SMT/Persona, I really would have loved to see how they would have tackled such a group though with the current state of things I doubt we'll seem them anytime soon.

Homo sapiens. What an inventive, invincible species. It's only a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenceless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable. Indomitable.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
          As far as I am aware, it is a world where certain people have power from either directly channeling the power of gods and other divine archetypes or are able to wield the power of divine weapons. The only real exceptions to this are one character who is apparently the single most bad ass normal human being on the planet, and his grandson, who is an even more unique case.
          While the narrative contrivance of every serious martial artist outside of the Seoul regional tournament having borrowed power muddies the waters some, it’s explicitly explained to be the secret “real magic” in a world that otherwise runs on standard martial arts mysticism.

Comment

Working...
          X