Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

when were the Etherites retconned into a former technocratic convention?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when were the Etherites retconned into a former technocratic convention?

when were the Etherites retconned into a former technocratic convention?

They were originally a secret Society that became a Tradition all on their own with no ties to the technocracy, but eventually they were re-envisioned after the first edition

see that book for more details.

if anybody knows that would be great

Comment

When the original Sons of Ether Tradition Book was released, the Etherites were former Technocrats who left the Union over a difference concerning Einstein and the Ether. I'll have to check to see if their connection to the Union appeared any earlier than that.

Comment

Actually, it goes all the way back to the original Mage: the Ascension core book:
        The Sons broke from the Technocracy in the early 1900s when a Technomancer Symposium voted, and thus “proved”, that there is no ether in space, a postulate against which the Sons obviously fought.

Page 49, right column, middle of second paragraph
        Still rereading the core book to see if I can find where you got the idea that the Etherites were originally never connected to the Technocracy. Maybe is that their time in the Technocracy isn't mentioned in their Tradition write-up?
        Last edited by Dataweaver; 12-25-2020, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
          Still rereading the core book to see if I can find where you got the idea that the Etherites were originally never connected to the Technocracy. Maybe is that their time in the Technocracy isn't mentioned in their Tradition write-up?
          yes you are correct

Comment

Also, if you read the write up on page 53, it only suggests that the Etherites were former members of the technocracy and in fact states “Many believe the bizarre sons of ether to be offshoot of the dreaded technomancers “.

The groups connection with the Union is not really certain to me either because when the side bar on page 49 speaks to this it says they “broke from the technocracy“ but that could also mean that they were socially isolated or alienated from it rather than ever members who were kicked out.

now that being said you do have a point and you're right that I never knew that they were mentioned on page 49, which in fact clearly says the group broke from the Union but I still feel their connection to it as a former convention was unclear until it was said outright.

nonetheless, I do stand corrected.

Last edited by Zennis; 12-25-2020, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Must admit that I got that impression too from flipping through the book.

Comment

As I recall, early on there was a lot of emphasis on the Etherites having a distinctly different origin than other Technocrats. That book that I can’t remember the name of was a prominent part of it. I suspect the point was to have them be former Technocrats in a really safe way. The union was faceless; they had a face.

As both the union and the Etherites were fleshed out the division between the two became much easier to see. It’s at the point where the Etherites can include utopian, totalitarian, elitist tropes and still be very, very different from their former allies.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Must admit that I got that impression too from flipping through the book.
                  right!? They definitely didn't seem like part of the Union based on the first edition book. even with the write up on page 49 it seems a bit unclear

Comment

Originally posted by Zennis View Post

right!? They definitely didn't seem like part of the Union based on the first edition book. even with the write up on page 49 it seems a bit unclear

Its entirely possible previous outlines had a different setup for the various Traditions. I'm sure at least one version was probably "Ars But in Modern time" with many of what we think of as Traditions being Houses...

Comment

It’s interesting how some of the sources that discuss the break don’t seem to want to address the obvious reason for it. Ether was necessary for Tesla’s ideas of universal free broadcast energy. The Union wanted energy to be a finite resource that was controlled through either state or private capitalism. Getting or at least supporting Ether’s removal from the consensus was all about economic power.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

There's often a lot of critical information "hidden" in the corebooks or elsewhere in all the gamelines, so it isn't surprising some of it seems "new" to people since it isn't where people think it should be!

Comment

Working...
                        X