Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today I learned about John Whiteside Parsons. What order would he be in?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by baakyocalder View Post
    Indeed, Crowley is not mentioned as a mage in the revised versions of the Cult of Ecstasy or Order of Hermes books. So, indeed, Crowley being claimed by multiple supernatural factions in early books is part of the 'Everyone important in WoD is a supernatural' meme that was common in earlier works.

Awesome 😊. I never really saw him as a mage.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her.

Comment

A sorcerer maybe. Not a mage though. Not Awakened/ enlightened enough. Too tied to earthly concerns (like when he changed Trump XI in the Crowley Tarot Major Arcana from Justice to Lust). Not that Lust is a bad thing (especially if you’re a Cult of Ecstasy mage or a Syndicate mage like Don Draper), but I just don’t see Crowley as fully Awakened.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her.

Comment

Ironic, since the style of magic he founded is one of the main sources of inspiration behind Mage metaphysics (note that we write magick with k here )
        Last edited by Aleph; 01-06-2021, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Ironic indeed lol. And yes, I write it with a k too.

Comment

Science fiction writer and Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard was part of Parsons's circle. LA and Southern California during that period (WW2 and its aftermath) were deeply weird, and make a fairly fun Mage historical setting, especially for Ecstatics, Etherites, Hollowers, Hermetics, and Akashics.

George Pendel's Strange Angel is probably the most readable biography of Parsons.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
            Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
              Science fiction writer and Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard was part of Parsons's circle. LA and Southern California during that period (WW2 and its aftermath) were deeply weird, and make a fairly fun Mage historical setting, especially for Ecstatics, Etherites, Hollowers, Hermetics, and Akashics.

George Pendel's Strange Angel is probably the most readable biography of Parsons.
              Sounds fascinating. Kind of like the film noir period, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post

Sounds fascinating. Kind of like the film noir period, right?
                Yes. I mentioned it in my Ages of Darkness thread. While I think Vampire and Wraith (and Hunters Hunted) would be the strongest picks for pure classic Noir, Mage (and Sorcerer) can do a really fun and bizarre sort of Gnostic Noir thing with the setting. It's a place that has very strongly embraced the idea of Modernism, but at the same time has all of these very diverse and sometimes either old fashioned or esoteric subcultures - including criminals and occultists - doing their thing.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

I always wondered what was up with scienceolgy in the world of Darkness. Is their a Umbra Xenu?

Comment

I hope for a OWOD dark eras.

Comment

Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post

I hope for a OWOD dark eras.
                      I mentioned it in my Ages of Darkness thread. While that entry (In the Valley of Shadow) is set up mainly as a hardboiled noir thing for Vampire and Wraith, it also has a lot of potential occult expansion for Mage and/or Sorcerer centered around Parsons, Hubbard, and their circles. Probably what Angel Heart (1987) might've looked like if set in LA instead of New Orleans, if Clive Barker's Lord of Illusions (1995) had been set in the 50s, or if Walter Mosley's Easy Rollins books had been like Victor LaValle's works.

Edit: And I now realize I had already mentioned AoD above.
                      Last edited by No One of Consequence; 02-19-2021, 11:04 PM.

Comment

I'm going to go with Hermetic Ecstatic dual Tradition technomancer.

Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post

I always wondered what was up with scienceolgy in the world of Darkness. Is their a Umbra Xenu?
                        Everything humanity has ever come up with exists somewhere in the High Umbra.

Comment

Working...
                        X