Questions about "Brain/Computer Interface"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about "Brain/Computer Interface"

How does this work exactly? Is it a cybernetic? I'm not always as creative when it comes to using technology as a focus, so could I have an exaple of how it would be used as an instrument?

Originally posted by ThatOneKiasyd View Post
    How does this work exactly? Is it a cybernetic? I'm not always as creative when it comes to using technology as a focus, so could I have an exaple of how it would be used as an instrument?
    Brain computer interface for what? Where?

Comment

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post

Brain computer interface for what? Where?
      In order to have cyborgs you would need for the cyborg's brain to communicate directly with the computers that run their cybernetic parts. Bionic eyes that can't communicate with the optic nerve would leave a person blind.

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post

In order to have cyborgs you would need for the cyborg's brain to communicate directly with the computers that run their cybernetic parts. Bionic eyes that can't communicate with the optic nerve would leave a person blind.
        Yes. I know. Of course it's a cybernetic, used very much often for the cyborg upgrades favoured by iteration x. But I've never heard of people using he brain interface as a focus.

The only thing I can think of in using it as a focus is in mind rotes using the brain implant's nature as a mechanical and separate part of being.

Comment

"Brain/Computer Interface", used as an Instrument:

It would likely require it to be installed as a cybernetic, albeit I think it could be understood in a more ample way as anything that, your mage believes, allows to "become one with the machine".

The effects it could allow would depend on the whole Focus, but easy effects could include Forces or Data effects to instantly hack into a computer or a network, controling machines with your mind, traveling into the Digital Web (and do stuff there)

I think it's also an excuse to use the computers as instrument for other stuff w/o having to actually *use* the computers in the traditional way. Like, if you believe you can use a computer to "hack reality", that you can, say, hack someone's body to transform that person into a frog - well, normally you would have to sit there and type your code (or something like that - stuff that usually takes some time, and may or may not be preposterous in some situations. Like combat). With the "B/C interface" you just plug your cyborg's mind in the system, and we get you're doing your thing
          Last edited by Aleph; 01-25-2021, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleph View Post
            "Brain/Computer Interface", used as an Instrument:

It would likely require it to be installed as a cybernetic, albeit I think it could be understood in a more ample way as anything that, your mage believes, allows to "become one with the machine".

The effects it could allow would depend on the whole Focus, but easy effects could include Forces or Data effects to instantly hack into a computer or a network, controling machines with your mind, traveling into the Digital Web (and do stuff there)

I think it's also an excuse to use the computers as instrument for other stuff w/o having to actually *use* the computers in the traditional way. Like, if you believe you can use a computer to "hack reality", that you can, say, hack someone's body to transform that person into a frog - well, normally you would have to sit there and type your code (or something like that - stuff that usually takes some time, and may or may not be preposterous in some situations. Like combat). With the "B/C interface" you just plug your cyborg's mind in the system, and we get you're doing your thing
            TBH wouldn't that be a dedicated device, like an ADEI that lets you wirelessly connect to computer systems via technomagic/ hypertech? I can't think of dedicated focuses that are from Brain-machine interface. Cyber-eyes and lightning calculators, yes, but not this.

Comment

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
              I can't think of dedicated focuses that are from Brain-machine interface. Cyber-eyes and lightning calculators, yes, but not this.
              Why not?. Or why can you in the latter case, but not the former?

I'm not sure if it needs to be dedicated in all cases, but I sure can see that in many cases. Your cyber-brain's "usb" prob. it's very personal and count as dedicated

Comment

Originally posted by Aleph View Post

Why not?. Or why can you in the latter case, but not the former?

I'm not sure if it needs to be dedicated in all cases, but I sure can see that in many cases. Your cyber-brain's "usb" prob. it's very personal and count as dedicated
                Oh no, I just find it truly odd. Brain-computer interface to help you interact with implants? OK, fine.

But... brain-computer interface means that it's got to have an interface with *something*. Either a USB port on your neck, cyber-eyes, a wireless network in your Construct, or anything else. You don't get brain-computer interfaces that connect to nothing.

Comment

It's a relatively common Cyberpunk trope. You see that in worlds where people are connected at all times with the web trough implants in their brain (like having wi-fi in your brain) or some other bizarre technology (I seem to remember a scy-fy where people would hear the radio in their heads after taking a phill - problem it's you were unable to ignore the adds. You cyborg really wants adblock :P ).

Comment

Is it like Sword Art Online? I actually like it

Comment

Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post
                      Is it like Sword Art Online? I actually like it
                      *obligatary boo*

Yes and no. Wireless brain-machine interfaces like we see there are actually quite rare (that ability to kill someone is obviously a Forces/ Correspondence rote) But normally, what we see is a brain implant directly into the brain matter itself.

Wireless stuff like that is probably eats quite a bit of paradox.

Comment

Not necessarily as much as one might think. While a “wired” connection is the traditional approach, going wireless is actually gaining a lot of popularity. Note that there are some cell phones that can be charged without plugging them in; just set them down on an induction coil, and your set. For that matter, cell phones are an example of wireless communications, as opposed to the telephone cables that landlines rely on.

I could easily see the general populace buying into the notion of wireless brain/computer interfaces; and to the extent that the general populace determined Consensus, this could render such things Coincidental. That said, we're not there yet.

Comment

Working...
                        X