Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would VA's be involved with the Gamestop short-squeeze in the WOD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would VA's be involved with the Gamestop short-squeeze in the WOD?

In real world, the WallStreetBets Reddit got together and performed a short-seller squeeze on Gamestop, boosting the price from $20 dollars to $300 in a couple of weeks. Do you think the VA would be involved in the WOD version of this?

Why would they want to do this?

Comment

Since the source was Reddit, and I understand it was a bit of a "meme effect". It's aesthetically compatible with VA modus operandi. Why would they do this: It's a way to show the illusory nature of the market, how fortunes are based on absurd scams like proffiting from a bussines going more and more bankrupt (and then losing everything if it starts generating value). It's a way to troll the Syndicate and their precious crowfunds, that's always a bonus. And also to show how you can meme anything into existence - that last one it's a very VA thing to do.

It also could have been common people that found the flaw in the practice of the funds that were affected, and mages either were as surprised as anyone or allowed it to happen (as Accelerator said in other thread, it's the free market working as intended). That way you keep that "Mages don't control the world, only influence" vive of Revised.

It could be the Syndicate thinking in the big picture. The practices that allowed this to happen in the first place are regulated in many other countries, so it's not like it's "against the Syndicate" to have more regulations placed in the stock market. Perhaps against some local practices of some Agents, which could signal an internal conflict.

Now, I imagine that if the billonaries that own USA desire goverment regulations, they will get their regulations - and goverment regulating the market it's in the agenda of the NWO. So you could even spin a "technocratic civil war" thing here.

But I think we haven't seen the end of this so it's hard to know how this will affect anything, if at all.

My personal choice rigth now would be the VA, because the Traditions need to do something with their life other than hide & tremble. Trolling the Syndicate by winning them at their own game and forcing them to go beg to the NWO (all the while proving the power of the net) could be it.
      Last edited by Aleph; 01-28-2021, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Of course, the Traditions are generally rather individualistic in their norms. Something like this didn't require magic to do. One VA that just felt like screwing with the system (or member of any number of smaller groups) could have just used some simple Mind urging embedded in the Reddit conversation to turn idle chatter into action.

The idea that any Tradition, even the VAs, would be involved with something like this on an organizational level is a bit absurd. The idea that one VA felt like causing a mess in the system by encouraging some existing Internet groups to carry out a little ploy is likely exceedingly common place even if the public hearing about it is more rare (though the Union could have easily decided letting this one get big news coverage was a good emotional outlet since they can easily make sure it's not a real threat to the status quo).

Comment

It's possible it's truly spontaneous. After all, the Syndicate created the system. They created the stock market and financial instruments. Iteration X created the internet and all the other backup infrastructure.

Sometimes, people just... do things like this. It's not like the Technocracy was behind every single bushfire conflict. Sleepers took the paradigm and ran with it. And the syndicate doesn't care all that much about Wall Street Bankers. After all... most are mundanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
            Of course, the Traditions are generally rather individualistic in their norms. Something like this didn't require magic to do. One VA that just felt like screwing with the system (or member of any number of smaller groups) could have just used some simple Mind urging embedded in the Reddit conversation to turn idle chatter into action.

The idea that any Tradition, even the VAs, would be involved with something like this on an organizational level is a bit absurd. The idea that one VA felt like causing a mess in the system by encouraging some existing Internet groups to carry out a little ploy is likely exceedingly common place even if the public hearing about it is more rare (though the Union could have easily decided letting this one get big news coverage was a good emotional outlet since they can easily make sure it's not a real threat to the status quo).
            I agree with your analysis.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her.

Comment

While the Syndicate doesn't care about individual people in the finance sector, they do care about the health of the economy. It's actually a reason for them to let this happen even if they didn't have any hand in it. While some stock shorting is inherently part of trading (and many economists would argue it's essential to a healthy market), it getting to the point where profitable and productive companies can get ruined and all the profits generated by picking its bones clean being transferred into wealth investments is inherently detrimental to a healthy economy.

I'm pretty sure the Syndicate would be perfectly happy if after this, we see a decrease is short firms trying to setup self-fulfilling cycles where their own shorting of a stock is justification for believing the stock if overvalued and more people short it, because there's just going to be a new wave of long firms waiting in the wings to counter like what just happened with Gamestop (even if it moves to financial firms going at each other rather than Internet day traders).

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid Loserman View Post
                Why would they want to do this?
                To Stick it to the Man.

Anyone, consider, that does this to the bitter end will not make money. It's not about their money.

Check my Exalted homebrew!

Comment

This entire situation is just a massive and hilarious Paradox backlash against the Syndicate and the Sleepers realizing the bullshit Effect they have in place. lol

Jade Kingdom Warrior

Comment

Shakanaka:

Yeah. The good ol' Paradox trolls.

I mean, they blamed 2008 ruinous business schemes on Paradox. *That* they presented as a botched "rogue project to solve scarcity" in their book - which I found insulting, since it actualy was a bussines pattern most likely designed to ruin poor people. Hard to believe banks didn't know "ninja" (no income, no job, assets) would be unable to pay their debts and would loose their homes. But of course, the Syndicate it's *incapable* of such evil schemes (or just loosing control of the situation) - it was Paradox, for sure, and let's spice it up with a cautionary tale about scarcity. Yeah, yeah.

THIS failure, on the other hand, it's so hilarious I could see Paradox being involved in some capacity.

I still like VA better, though. If real life hacks can't be attributed to them in some capacity (at least as tinfoil-hat theory), one would start to think they did nothing of note since Turing.

Comment

Could they have? Certainly.

I don't think they needed to, though.

Unlike a lot of things that happen in the world, we know basically exactly how this happened in Real Life. A bunch of hedge fund managers sold GameStop stock short, and did so to a frankly comical degree. They kept those stocks riding even after they dropped from $25 a share to $3 a share. A bunch of Redditors used publically available information to find out 1) that GameStop stock was really low and 2) that they were short sold by a particular hedge fund. They bought some of the stock, and told all their friends on Reddit to do the same thing. All the buying causes GameStop stock prices to soar. The hedge fund was on the hook for all the stocks they borrowed to do this scheme, which rapidly ballooned to billions of dollars. More than the hedge fund was worth, resulting in them facing bankruptcy (until another hedge fund bailed them out).

Nothing supernatural happened here. A bunch of rich assholes made a bet on a company going under, and some savvy internet users used collective action to turn the tables.

Obviously there are ways that the VAs might have contributed. They could have used meme magick to make the effort to induce the squeeze more appealing to users. They might have used Entropy to ensure the stocks rose in price. They could have done as little as use Prime to lace the squeezing effort with Anti-Magick, foiling Syndicate attempts to spoil the scheme.

But they didn't NEED to. And frankly, this is one of those areas where I think it's more important to leave it as a product of regular human endeavor.

To use another example, let's go back to the 2008 housing crisis. We could say that it was the result of a plot by the Anarchs or the Glass Walkers, or the Syndicate incurring a Paradox backlash. But that would serve to make mysterious what was really just the result of bad lending practices. The rich screwing over the poor, and then getting bailed out while everyone else suffered. It's not as bad as, say, the Holocaust or 9/11. But for the same reason that we don't chalk up the latter two to supernatural influence, it's important to recognize the role that simple human action results in Real Life consequences.

In this case, it's the good consequence of a bunch of greedy rich bastards getting hoist by their own petards, via normal everyday people working together. That maybe, just maybe, the real magic was the friends we made along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleph View Post
                        Shakanaka:

Yeah. The good ol' Paradox trolls.

I mean, they blamed 2008 ruinous business schemes on Paradox. *That* they presented as a botched "rogue project to solve scarcity" in their book - which I found insulting, since it actualy was a bussines pattern most likely designed to ruin poor people. Hard to believe banks didn't know "ninja" (no income, no job, assets) would be unable to pay their debts and would loose their homes. But of course, the Syndicate it's *incapable* of such evil schemes (or just loosing control of the situation) - it was Paradox, for sure, and let's spice it up with a cautionary tale about scarcity. Yeah, yeah.
                        All splatbooks are filled with self serving lies. I mean look at how the Syndicate book pats itself on the back for 'attacking' The Hermetic paradigm with Harry Potter. Good thing there's no chaos magic houses or anything!

Comment

Working...
                        X