Victorian Mage will be Crowdfunded by OPP on Indiegogo instead of KS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victorian Mage will be Crowdfunded by OPP on Indiegogo instead of KS

Impressive! If you don't know about about Victorian Mage,it's all on the name,it's about mages in the Victorian era of the world,I hear it's about the entire world,not just England!

Will we be getting cowboy mages then?

Comment

I’m gonna back it anyway cause I like Victorian stuff but I’m annoyed. This means I have to create a whole new account and a whole new password I gotta memorize.

Plus Kickstarter’s famous. They’re like a pop culture reference. Comic strips in real newspapers mention Kickstarter and assume the reader knows what they’re talking about. Nobody’s ever heard of Indiegogo.

Any chance if enough people express how upset they are that they’ll cancel the deal and do it on Kickstarter instead? Or am I tilting at windmills? 😊 (Kinda being silly but I really am annoyed.)

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her (I saw the Chief Technology Officer for a big company do this so I guess I’ll do it too).

Comment

But yeah, cowboy mages would be kinda cool.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her (I saw the Chief Technology Officer for a big company do this so I guess I’ll do it too).

Comment

Oh boy, can't wait to get beat over the head about the horrors of colonialism ad nauseam for 5 chapters and then have one chapter with actual rules that still won't make sense.....

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
            This means I have to create a whole new account and a whole new password I gotta memorize.
            It's not exactly perfect because of things like this, but better experiment with a supplement than a core book.

Plus Kickstarter’s famous.
            Nobody’s ever heard of Indiegogo.
            That seems.... very unfair. Indiegogo is basically the 3rd largest crowdfunding site after KickStarter and GoFundMe. It's not some tiny small potatoes operation. It is smaller than KS, sure, but that's not everything. Indiegogo has around half the users as KS, but on average far more Indiegogo users fund multiple projects. Indiegogo has more payment options. Etc.

I think it's also fair to say that Onyx Path isn't really getting a lot of new backers on KS just because KS is the biggest company in that market. The number of backers for OPP projects seems pretty baked in, and mostly come from OPP's social media presence. It's worth exploring if the giant number of users on KS (again, most of which only signed up for one thing and rarely back anything else) is actually better for a company with a fairly stable fan base that will probably follow them on a platform switch.

Indiegogo also isn't a "hit the magic number" system. If a project is struggling, and gets 95% funding, it can still collect in the hopes of making the product and finding the rest through a different avenue, where KS fails your project if you're a cent short of goal (while hyperbole, a small % of KS campaigns that look like they're going to just get funded fail at the last minute because a few backers pull out suddenly at the end). This makes it harder to compare to KS on some metrics because while more KS projects meet funding (though neither site posts terribly great success rates), it's unclear how many in the difference on Indiegogo still succeed because they got close enough despite not hitting the projected target.

Any chance if enough people express how upset they are that they’ll cancel the deal and do it on Kickstarter instead? Or am I tilting at windmills?
            Considering it's a stated experiment with a fairly minor supplement? Tilting seems like the answer. If they want to try Indiegogo, some project is going to have to be the one to do it with. Asking OPP to never switch platforms unless forced by something like KS closing shop seems unlikely to be something they'd agree too.

Comment

Heavy Arms sorry. I was in a bitchy mood when I posted that. Thank you for answering so intelligently. I feel better now after reading that and understanding why they might want to switch.

Comment

I don't know much about Indiegogo so I'm just curious. What are the differences with KS that they are testing out? Because Victorian Mage is sure to be funded regardless of which site it uses. And even if most KS users only sign up to back one thing, OPP fans have usually backed several projects. Did they talk about their reasons in a Monday Meeting?

Comment

The MMN mostly mention that Indiegogo is easier on the backend of actually running the campaign. Indiegogo is generally regarded as the more flexible platform for the campaign creator

I know one big feature for some users is the Indiegogo has native Paypal support, where Kickstarter doesn't. Some international fans live in places where credit cards aren't common, making Kickstarter's limited payment options a problem (this is something that came up in the past when it was clear crowdfunding was going to be an on-going part of OPP's strategy). Paypal integration alone could potential open things to some more people that would be regular backers but aren't now.

Comment

Originally posted by AscentionTheMage View Post
                    Will we be getting cowboy mages then?
                    Can't say, but there is discussion of that in the revised Storyteller Handbook's alternate settings chapter as well as the Frontier Secrets booklet that came with the original Werewolf: The Wild West Storytellers Screen.

(In brief, all the Traditions are there, though the Ahl I Batin are probably the least common.)

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Although considering "Wild West" stuff technically happened in the same time period just in a different region of the world, I don't think it would be a stretch to do a W20: WW x M20:VA game with the official rulesets as is.

Comment

Wow! Someone actually liked my rant lol.

I feel kinda bad about that. I’m sort of moody and sometimes especially at certain times I go off on a tangent and say stuff I really don’t mean and then feel bad about it later. Plus in this case I really didn’t know all the stuff Heavy Arms pointed out in his response to my post.

Comment

Penelope:

Yeah. I, too, have written posts that afterwards didn't feel to be charming (so to speak). And got likes.

But I try not to think much of likes, one can't be sure of what they mean other than a vague sense of agreement. You think your rationale was wrong, maybe they think it's rigth. But it could also be that they're agreeing with your feeling (they like Kickstarter, hard to see anything wrong about that). There could be other reasons.
                          Last edited by Aleph; 02-18-2021, 08:58 AM.

Comment

@Aleph

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Aleph View Post
                              Penelope:

Yeah. I, too, have written posts that afterwards didn't feel to be charming (so to speak). And got likes.

But I try not to think much of likes, one can't be sure of what they mean other than a vague sense of agreement. You think your rationale was wrong, maybe they think it's rigth. But it could also be that they're agreeing with your feeling (they like Kickstarter, hard to see anything wrong about that). There could be other reasons.
                              Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X