Victorian Mage will be Crowdfunded by OPP on Indiegogo instead of KS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

Which is especially a damn shame since more African Crafts are great appreciated. And doubly so if they're a technomancer Craft.

Since as is we still only have the Ngoma as an African Craft that's been given any sort of write-up and it's...awkward for them to be the only Craft representing an entire continent.
    Well at least we have the Madzimbabwe, the Uzoma, the Baruti and the Izinyanga inside the Traditions. And we got a write-up for the Zulu Mechanists here in Victorian Mage.

Comment

• Right. But they aren't the technomancers that were being referred to in the race to Africa section. Those ones pre-existed the Anglo Zulu War, whereas the Zulu mechanists were the result of said war.

Comment

• Who are the Izinyanga (or Isinyanga?) ?

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
        Exalted and cWoD book list. Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erinys View Post
          Who are the Izinyanga (or Isinyanga?) ?
          Zulu Verbenae from Guide to the Traditions

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• So there're three-four groups in southern Africa, a few groups in Egypt, and a few groups in West Africa... and really nobody in the rest of the continent?

Wasn't there also a group of Technomancers who came from Timbuktu at some point?

I'd expect the Swahili Coast communities to have produced a complex mixture of many different beliefs and practices - it's an intersection of coastal and inland East African, Somali, southeast African, Arab, Malagasy, and South Asian cultures.
            Last edited by Erinys; 03-14-2021, 07:47 PM.

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
            Exalted and cWoD book list. Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors.

Comment

• Something else that sticks out to me regarding the OoR chapter:

I've pointedly noticed that this chapter has WAY more Future Fates then the Traditions chapter or the Crafts chapter. I point that out because the OoR FFs go into alternate structures for the Technocracy, and of course the FF that describes on what if Etherites stayed with the Union. And past texts have referenced "what-if" possibilities of different Crafts that join the Traditions instead of SoE and AR/VAs...but thus far those hunks of text are nowhere to be found in their respective chapters.

Normally I would have dismissed this as those FFs being saved for the Storytelling chapter...but considering that the OoR has these FFs and not the Traditions and Crafts chapter it just seems...bizarre and not consistent.

(also the Autochtonia FF is ridiculous in suggesting that the mega-computer that it is gets slower over time as it became more advanced because...that's not how computers work. the reverse should be happening)

Comment

• Originally posted by Erinys View Post
                So there're three-four groups in southern Africa, a few groups in Egypt, and a few groups in West Africa... and really nobody in the rest of the continent?

Wasn't there also a group of Technomancers who came from Timbuktu at some point?

I'd expect the Swahili Coast communities to have produced a complex mixture of many different beliefs and practices - it's an intersection of coastal and inland East African, Somali, southeast African, Arab, Malagasy, and South Asian cultures.
                Well the OoR chapter did mention the Void Seekers encountering two Central African confederations of Willworkers with Beliefs not entirely incompatible with the Order's, the Awalaye and Wamukamwami. Unfortunately the rest of the Order learned this after the Seekers attacked and pillaged several of these African Technomancers' chantries, preventing any future talks with them.

Frankly with how big Africa is, it's one of those things that would at the bare minimum require an entire Chapter in a supplement if not an entire book dedicated to it. The three purely African Crafts we got were there for a reason. The Bata'a and the Ngoma will survive into the modern day and would become founding members of the Disparate Alliance* while the Zulu Mechanists were created to show that there were Technomancers besides the OoR.

*Though it does raise the question of where the Solificati are as all the other future founders of the Alliance are present in VAM.

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
                Something else that sticks out to me regarding the OoR chapter:

I've pointedly noticed that this chapter has WAY more Future Fates then the Traditions chapter or the Crafts chapter. I point that out because the OoR FFs go into alternate structures for the Technocracy, and of course the FF that describes on what if Etherites stayed with the Union. And past texts have referenced "what-if" possibilities of different Crafts that join the Traditions instead of SoE and AR/VAs...but thus far those hunks of text are nowhere to be found in their respective chapters.

Normally I would have dismissed this as those FFs being saved for the Storytelling chapter...but considering that the OoR has these FFs and not the Traditions and Crafts chapter it just seems...bizarre and not consistent.

(also the Autochtonia FF is ridiculous in suggesting that the mega-computer that it is gets slower over time as it became more advanced because...that's not how computers work. the reverse should be happening)
                Likely because there are several important variables for the future surrounding the Order that Traditions and Crafts don't have. Namely how successful the Reforms will be and what will be the status of it's future defectors. For the Traditions there's really only who's going to fill the missing Matter Seat and Correspondence Seat should the Batini leave, assuming the SoE and VA aren't available.

I think the only reason the Boxer Rebellion gets the attention it does is that it's a notable conflict during the era that could be used for alt history without too much suspension of disbelief and gives a bit of attention to a place not under the thumb of the British Empire. Well not entirely anyway.

Homo sapiens. What an inventive, invincible species. It's only a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenceless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable. Indomitable.

Comment

• Originally posted by AkatsukiLeader13 View Post

Well the OoR chapter did mention the Void Seekers encountering two Central African confederations of Willworkers with Beliefs not entirely incompatible with the Order's, the Awalaye and Wamukamwami. Unfortunately the rest of the Order learned this after the Seekers attacked and pillaged several of these African Technomancers' chantries, preventing any future talks with them.

Frankly with how big Africa is, it's one of those things that would at the bare minimum require an entire Chapter in a supplement if not an entire book dedicated to it. The three purely African Crafts we got were there for a reason. The Bata'a and the Ngoma will survive into the modern day and would become founding members of the Disparate Alliance* while the Zulu Mechanists were created to show that there were Technomancers besides the OoR.

*Though it does raise the question of where the Solificati are as all the other future founders of the Alliance are present in VAM.
                  And the Knights Templar (seeing as how they lost their ability to hide in the Order of Reason when the Cabal of Pure Thought was wiped out), and I don't recall seeing the Sisters of Hypollyta, either. The Solificati wouldn't be considered for the Seat of Matter despite being perfect for it, because Heylel.

The Zulu mechanists are all well and good; but the interesting thing about the Awalaye and Wamukamwami is that they were technomancers, too; and not in reaction to the Order the way the Zulu mechanists were. One of them was described as knowing secrets about the Ether that the Electrodyne Engineers didn't know, and that being a be sufficient reason why the EEs were pissed that the Void Seekers attacked them. Central Africans, technomancers, and technomancers in their own right rather than as a response to the Union. I really don't see why they weren't given a write-up of their own.

Comment

• Speculation towards chapter 8; any one think we will see anything of Dr Gull and his associates who form the body of Her Majesty's Agents, who work to protect the Queen from the supernatural? (or at least they do in Victorian Age Vampire)

Comment

Actually it says that at first it took longer for the increasingly more complex iterations, but ultimately the "engine began generating and completing iterations faster than Al-Sharif was able to count". So by the end it was going faster and faster.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                        And the Knights Templar (seeing as how they lost their ability to hide in the Order of Reason when the Cabal of Pure Thought was wiped out), and I don't recall seeing the Sisters of Hypollyta, either. The Solificati wouldn't be considered for the Seat of Matter despite being perfect for it, because Heylel.

The Zulu mechanists are all well and good; but the interesting thing about the Awalaye and Wamukamwami is that they were technomancers, too; and not in reaction to the Order the way the Zulu mechanists were. One of them was described as knowing secrets about the Ether that the Electrodyne Engineers didn't know, and that being a be sufficient reason why the EEs were pissed that the Void Seekers attacked them. Central Africans, technomancers, and technomancers in their own right rather than as a response to the Union. I really don't see why they weren't given a write-up of their own.
                        There are five founding members of the Disparate Alliance, the Batini, the Bata'a, the Ngoma, the Hollow Ones and the Solificati. Everyone else joined afterwards.

I wasn't referring to the Solificati for potential groups to fill the vacant seat, I was referring to them not being a playable option while the rest of the other Alliance Founders are playable in VAM. In fact, they and the Templars are the only M20 Crafts not in VAM.

The Sisters of Hippolyta are in VAM, in the Wardens of a World of Magick section of the Craft Chapter.

Homo sapiens. What an inventive, invincible species. It's only a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenceless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable. Indomitable.

Comment

• Fourth manuscript excerpt now up.

Comment

Fourth manuscript excerpt now up.
                            Is there somewhere the public can see this, or is it only for donors?

Comment

• Originally posted by CajunKhan View Post

Is there somewhere the public can see this, or is it only for donors?

Some material is previewed on the various updates (visit the Indiegogo page and hit the Updates tab), but the full manuscripts are available only to project backers.

Ian A. A. Watson
                              Onyx Path Community Manager
                              Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

Working...
                              X