Victorian Mage will be Crowdfunded by OPP on Indiegogo instead of KS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

And in general I am disappointed that there isn't anything in the way of brand new Abilities, Backgrounds, Merits, or Flaws.
    Are there era appropriate concepts you feel are I represented and need new mechanics?

Because I’m definitely in favor of not wasting word count on new mechanics created for the sake of new mechanics that don’t add something needed

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• And of course only NOW I get teased with a stretch goal supplement I actually want to get built..

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
        And of course only NOW I get teased with a stretch goal supplement I actually want to get built..
        Seriously.

Time period-specific rotes and Wonders are FAR more useful to know versus plot hooks and NPCs.

Not even from a KEWL powers perspective, but just from a “hey, can you show me an example in action of what Victorian magick looks like versus modern day magick?” perspective.

Comment

• Reading through it I find the Victorian era far better for play than the modern era. One of my biggest struggles with getting my head around what to di with mage has always been that the order of reason have essentially won the war already, and magic (the whole reason for playing mage) is difficult to pull off as a result. Even the idea of reality being malleable is only a technicality in the modern era.
          the Victorian era, with the ascension war still raging and the world split into a rich tapestry of reality zones where different kinds of magic hold away, really seems to shine. Here mages can genuinely shape reality, and can impact the setting in epically meaningful ways while doing it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tamuz View Post
            Reading through it I find the Victorian era far better for play than the modern era. One of my biggest struggles with getting my head around what to di with mage has always been that the order of reason have essentially won the war already, and magic (the whole reason for playing mage) is difficult to pull off as a result. Even the idea of reality being malleable is only a technicality in the modern era.
            Well...not really?

M20 stresses the idea that no, even in modern day, the Technocratic paradigm isn't really that dominant and that there's a mix of mystic and technological beliefs in play (Rise of the Extraordinary Citizen, M20 p. 133)

And Paradox in M20...is really not that big of a deal. Successful vulgar magick only gets you 1 Paradox point. You only get a lot of Paradox if you botch a vulgar magick roll. So unless if your character is doing nothing but throwing out vulgar magick and not taking measures to at least reduce the Difficulty of the rolls down

Comment

• Agreed... to an excellent, but that is a far cry from witches flying broomsticks over the English moors because that is still the paradigm there.
              in Victoria mage I can quickly see the story potential of mages defending a territory from corrupting influences, or trying to "terraform" an enemy stronghold to be more hospitable, or even to take it away. Maybe 20 attempted to go down those lines, but with the weight of the modern technocratic paradigm it just doesn't play out as easily.
              it also helps that we know ho history "should" play out, so it is easy to see how epic and far reaching changes to the setting are by showing history diverging from what it should be.

Comment

• Victorian Mage is now available for preorder from BackerKit, and we'll be counting preorders for the next ~60 days towards stretch goals.

https://victorian-mage-ttrpg.backerk...sted_preorders

Ian A. A. Watson
                Onyx Path Community Manager
                Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

Working...
                X