Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any moment now...

Comment

So my probably 18 years of headcanons that are about to get shattered...

The Council of Eight is weakening because it's 5 to 3 dominated by Europeans, and even the non-European nominal members of the same Traditions are rebelling against its perceived complicity in colonialism.

Besides the Order of Hermes and the Verbena

The Seat of Time is held by the Acharne (Hellfire Club)

The Seat of Entropy is held by the Order of the Black Willow (Spiritualist Mediums)

The Seat of Prime is still held by the Messianic Voice (Christian mystics)

Among those Ecstatics, Euthanatos, and Chorusters no longer paying lip service to these factions dominance via the Council are the Indian Sahajiya, the Chakravanti, and the Vishnudharadhara respectively, who finally set aside their long enmity to form the Ashthika during the Mutiny.

While a non-European Dreamspeaker does sit upon the Seat of Spirit, more Dreamspeakers have renounced the Council at this point that are loyal to it.

The Ahl-i-Batin and the Akashayana are trying to shift the balance of power by getting either the Mokteshaf al-Nour or the Dalou'laoshi, who are now being forcibly assimilated by the newborn Technocratic Union, to assume the long vacant Seat of Matter, and get AT LEAST ONE of the Seats of Time, Entropy, or Prime handed over to an Ashthika faction to bring India back into the fold (they'd obviously prefer the Sahajiya, especially over the Chakravanti, given the frought history there, but they'll take what they can get).

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

The Ahl-i-Batin keep strongly suggesting overtures to the Wu Lung, which the Akashayana respond to by suggesting the Taftani, which generally ends that conversation.

Comment

Besides the forcible assimilation of their former allies, and the Ascension War against the reality deviants, two major other internal matters concern the newborn Technocratic Union

- the Cabal of Pure Thought is not going quietly into that good night. While future Technocratic historians will see this conflict purely in terms of secularism vs superstition holdouts, the British dominance of the Union includes many "good Anglicans" that 21st Century Technocrats would be horrified by the religiosity of, who see the Cabal not as throwbacks because of being Christians, but because of being a pre-Reformation of relic of "Papism" specifically. Nominally you can be Catholic in the Union (after all, the French, Spanish, and Portuguese empires are integral to Union operations as well), but the Cabal still holds to the "One Church" notion for the "One World" the Union is trying to build, and with Protestants at the helm now, that isn't going to fly.

- A Craftmason throwback secret society lurks in the grassroots of the Union, entertaining a form of secular humanist thought that rejects hierarchal authority, and the control of capital. The notion that the workers themselves should control the means of production has a Daedalen appeal. It will be several decades still before the Ivory Tower figures out how to utilize Marxism toward the ends of Control rather than its ideals of liberation (thanks Lenin!), so for now these working class want-to-be-Craftmason revolutionaries are a threat to everything the Union's imperialist, eugenicist, ivory tower leaders are trying to accomplish

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
            Among those Ecstatics, Euthanatos, and Chorusters no longer paying lip service to these factions dominance via the Council are the Indian Sahajiya, the Chakravanti, and the Vishnudharadhara respectively, who finally set aside their long enmity to form the Ashthika during the Mutiny.
            The Ashthika were formed during the 13th century and the Delhi Sultanate.

Also not really sure why the Celestial Chorus, who've been going by that name (or at least its French version) since the Renaissance, would go back to that of a medieval faction.

In general, very little of these details are filling me with much enthusiasm.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
            Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

The Ashthika were formed during the 13th century and the Delhi Sultanate.

Also not really sure why the Celestial Chorus, who've been going by that name (or at least its French version) since the Renaissance, would go back to that of a medieval faction.

In general, very little of these details are filling me with much enthusiasm.

1) those were my tablecanons, not the book, I was not aware the Ashthika had a canon formation date

2) I was including the Messianic Voice as the name of the Christian faction of the Celestial Chorus dominant in Europe

Comment

Ah. OK. I just misunderstood. My mistake. Sorry.

Regarding India during the 19th century, two interesting books I've read are by William Darymple. The Last Mughal is about the last Mughal emperor Zafar and his really interesting royal court. White Mughals: Love and Betrayal in Eighteenth Century India is about James Kirkpatrick, who was part of the court of the Nizam of Hyderabad in 1798 and fell in love with a local noble woman, converted to Islam in order to marry her and eventually becoming a double agent against the East India Company.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

According to the White Wolf Wiki, the destruction of the Gabrielites took place at the beginning of the Victorian Age (around the 1830s). There was roughly a one to two decade period between that point and the formation of the Technocracy, during which the remnants of the Cabal of Pure Thought sought to restructure themselves in keeping with the Order of Reason's newly atheistic stance before formally taking on the mantle of the Lightkeepers when the Union was founded.

(Those who weren't willing or able to make the adjustment were either killed or fled the Order; an example of the latter were the Templar, who had been sheltered in the ranks of the Gabrielites since their apparent destruction in the 1300s.)

I mention this because up to this point, the Gabrielites and the Choir Celestial were rivals for influence in the church. Suddenly, the latter found themselves facing a power vacuum. I would liken it to bring in the middle of wrestling with someone when they suddenly collapse; it's going to throw you off-balance.

(I'll also note that the Voltarian Order and the Difference Engineers are also new to the Victorian Age: the former was founded in 1806, and the latter in 1823. They become the Electrodyne Engineers and the Analytical Reckoners in 1851, and remain that way until the Great Housecleaning at the turn of the century, at which point the Union has mostly come to resemble its modern form. (The only remaining changes are for the Ivory Tower to become the New World Order in the 30s, and for the Virtual Adepts to defect in the late 50s.)

I mention this because I don't buy the idea that the fledgeling Technocracy was as bad as the introductory blurb makes it out to be: the Victorian Age isn't just Explorators, Lightkeepers, and Invisible Exchequers spreading Empire all over the world; it's also the Electrodyne Engineers and the Analytical Reckoners (and likely significant factions of the International Brotherhood of Mechanicians and the Æsculapian Order as well) who at worst aren't interested in world domination and at best are trying to curb the Union's control freak tendencies and to channel its energies in a more positive direction.

There's also Prince Albert, who had a reputation for championing the downtrodden and in general trying to make the world a better place, and who was instrumental in the founding of the Technocratic Union. Had he not died a mere decade later, the Union may well have turned out quite differently.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post

There's also Prince Albert, who had a reputation for championing the downtrodden and in general trying to make the world a better place, and who was instrumental in the founding of the Technocratic Union. Had he not died a mere decade later, the Union may well have turned out quite differently.
                    Now we know both why Albert died early (conspiracy theory gold there) and why people took snide pot shots at "Prince Albert the Good" right up into the 1930s. It's a Technocratic civil war.

Seriously, it's highly playable.

Comment

I will mention that the IBM were deliberately named such to evoke the image of early labor groups and strains of Marxism. Likewise the Lightbringers and certain types of period progressive Protestantism.

Comment

I am extremely happy Onyx Path is starting to use Indigogo for their crowed funding.

I've used both Kickstarter & Indigogo in the past, & I much prefer how easy Indigogo makes it for both creators & contributors to personalize their contributions AND to allow easier multiple contributions/orders.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
                          I will mention that the IBM were deliberately named such to evoke the image of early labor groups and strains of Marxism. Likewise the Lightbringers and certain types of period progressive Protestantism.
                          True — though keep in mind that the Lightbringers are explicitly post-Protestant, as the Protestants are still Christian in nature.

The Syndicate has, in recent years, mused that the NWO is two Conventions in one, one dealing with academics and the other with political intrigue, and that they probably ought to be divided into separate Conventions. During the Victorian Age, my understanding is that they essentially were so divided, with the Lightbringers being the academics and the Skeleton Keys being the espionage/political intrigue. “Lightbringers” as a term had to to with bringing enlightenment to people, very much in the way that the introduction talks about gaslight bringing illumination.

Comment

Originally posted by Daredevil View Post
                            I am extremely happy Onyx Path is starting to use Indigogo for their crowed funding.

I've used both Kickstarter & Indigogo in the past, & I much prefer how easy Indigogo makes it for both creators & contributors to personalize their contributions AND to allow easier multiple contributions/orders.
                            In that regard, I have concerns; of there's a way to change your Perk or to alter your selection of Add-ons, I don't know what it is. As things stand, I'm looking at waiting until Backerkit to make these adjustments, which means waiting until the campaign is over.

Comment

The first manuscript preview is out to backers!

Ian A. A. Watson
                              Onyx Path Community Manager
                              Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

Working...
                              X