Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M20 Creating experienced characters / Awakening experienced mortals

Greetings,

I have seen rules for child mages, but not rules for those that awakened later in life. So if a 30-something awakens, and has already life experience, what rules to use?

I was house ruling like:
    1. Keep existing Attributes and Abilities.
    2. If you have more than 7 dots of Backgrounds, keep them; if you have less, you get the difference as free backgrounds to use but only on non-mundane Backgrounds. (no reason that awakening makes you immediately rich)
    3. Define focus (paradigm, practice, instruments).
    4. Record Spheres (6, with the Affinity Sphere receiving the first dot).
    5. Record beginning Arete (1).
    6. If your Willpower is more than 5, keep that value; if you have less than 5, rise it to 5
    7. Quintessence (Avatar rating).
    8. Paradox (0).
    9. Get 15 freebies but can only be used on Supernatural Merits, non-mundane Backgrounds, Willpower, Spheres, or Arete.
    Steps 1 to 8 seem reasonable, but I am not sure about step 9.

Any ideas or guidance?

Thanks.
    Last edited by lbeaumanior; 02-18-2021, 11:07 PM.

Are we talking playing out a character that Awakens, or starting level stuff for a person that had more life experience before Awakening?

If the first, I think it needs some work. If it's the second, I think the priorities are kind of off.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
      Are we talking playing out a character that Awakens, or starting level stuff for a person that had more life experience before Awakening?

If the first, I think it needs some work. If it's the second, I think the priorities are kind of off.
      It would be the first option, a character, experienced mortal, that awakens.

I have edited the original post, please review it.

Also, if there is an existing book referencing this case, please point me to it.
      Last edited by lbeaumanior; 02-18-2021, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Initiates of the Art (from 2e) was the book that covered this in detail.

It has two different spreads, but both are meant for new characters.

To things above:

Step 2 should be dropped. If you want to have some freebies for supernatural Backgrounds, you already have step 9.

Step 4 depends on how you want to do things. IotA says that characters do not immediately gain Spheres after Awakening, but learn a few quickly So this is either zero (as noted in IotA this is meant to be rough), or 2 (Tradition Affinity and one of personal interest).

Step 6 should also be dropped, IotA also has the minimum WP for mages as 3, not 5, at the point of Awakening.

Definitely keep 9, though consider how many points you really want. This consideration should include if Backgrounds can be purchased with XP, and how Merits and Flaws are gained in play. Esp. since these are optional considerations. I would also consider applying XP debt as a concept here.

Comment

So if you need more expirienced mage just add freebie points, upon character generation

If you wont expirienced character who Awakened not so long ago, then player first create character with mortal gen.rule with added freebie points (something like 35 against usual 21) and then add additional mage stuff

Comment

Originally posted by LastCourier View Post
            So if you need more expirienced mage just add freebie points, upon character generation

If you wont expirienced character who Awakened not so long ago, then player first create character with mortal gen.rule with added freebie points (something like 35 against usual 21) and then add additional mage stuff
            I get your point, but mine is about playing a mortal chronicle for a while, not newly created characters... THEN awakening, what should the character receive?

Comment

Originally posted by lbeaumanior View Post
              I get your point, but mine is about playing a mortal chronicle for a while, not newly created characters... THEN awakening, what should the character receive?
              I would go like this: leave the stats of this character as they are, judge how intense the Awakening was (to set Arete score), give Avatar as you like, and a newly created mage either should find a mentor or give him the spheres you think that can be learn intinctively (like first dots of Corespondence or Time). And then roleplay it.

Warrior of the Rainbow
              Saint among the sinners
              Pure among the dirt
              Loser among winners

Comment

Working...
              X