Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M20 Making money witht the spheres

Greetings,

We have started a game in which the players are people from an alternate earth, dropped in the world of darkness, so our bank accounts do not work, we do not appear in any database, we are just random nobodies with no money besides what we carry in our wallets, no contacts, work experience, friends or family.

The problem is that with the background and spheres, legal avenues to get day to day income, are scarce.This character is no the most moral person in the world, but tries really hard not to hurt innocents, Arcane 5 makes people forget him too quick, and while taking money from people is possible, he would prefer something legal.

My info:

Paradigm: Everything is Data
    Practices: Psionics
    Instruments: symbols; writings, inscriptions, and runes; languages, eye contact, energy, thought forms, meditation
    Faction: Orphans
    Essence: Questing
    Backgrounds: Arcane 5, Avatar 3
    Arete: 3
    Spheres (two options):
    • Entropy 3, Mind 3.
      Here I was considering "borrowing" money from someone, some fast-trading, return the money with big interest to the owners and then live of the daily trading, nothing too big that catches too much attention but enough to get daily money without working too much.
      Also, working as a translator it is viable. Or a remote gig in which you are internet anonymous. Or getting money from scratch-Off lotteries, low level prizes.
    • Correspondence 3, Entropy 1, Mind 1, Prime 1.
      Mind 1 makes you smart, Entropy 1 lets you see probabilities, and Correspondence 2 allows scrying, so you could do the previous trading thing but more effort required; and still needs the initial capital.
      A more risky option: try to find a drug dealer money stash, scry everything as much as possible, teleport in and out, but the risks are high if the place is well guarded, also Correspondence 3 only allows you and what you can carry so not that much money per trip.

Any ideas (legal or otherwise) with those sphere spreads?
    Last edited by lbeaumanior; 02-26-2021, 09:17 AM.

Easier to get started with option 1, but easier to actually do with option 2:

Become a process server. Remember that Arcane works more strongly on strangers. So you need to find someone to work for, spend lots of time with them so they start getting past the Arcane effect, and then convince them to give you a job. Arcane 5, by itself, pretty much makes you the best on Earth at serving people that are actively trying to avoid it, meaning you can get to Resources 2-3 fairly quickly.

The hard part is, of course, getting a fake ID that's strong enough to do things like open a bank account. But that's going to be true of anything remotely legal.

Comment

Edit: I understood now, legal serving. Got it.
      Last edited by lbeaumanior; 02-24-2021, 03:48 PM.

Comment

I don't. What's a "process server" in this context?

Also, isn't there a rote somewhere that literally pays the bills for you?

She/Her. I am very literal-minded and write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
        My point of view may be different from yours but is equally valid.
        Exalted and cWoD book list. Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors.

Comment

Originally posted by Erinys View Post
          I don't. What's a "process server" in this context?

Also, isn't there a rote somewhere that literally pays the bills for you?
          A process server is a person who delivers a court order and/or documents that compel a defendant's presence in court. The process server must also show proof that the documents were in fact served, which is typically accomplished with a notarized proof of service.

What spheres does this rote require?

Comment

Correspondence: Teleport to someplace where a commodity is cheap and that it to where it is expensive. If you avoid witnesses paradox can be low.

Entropy: Manipulate games of chance.

Matter: Turn coal into diamonds. Or turn industrial grade diamonds into fine jewels.

Time: Learn who is going to win X. Then bet accordingly.

Life: Turn the cheap stuff into the good stuff.

Prime and Matter: Make gold rings and/or necklaces and pawn them.

The right set of spheres can let you find rare antiques and collectables.

Spirits often know where the good stuff is.

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post
              Correspondence: Teleport to someplace where a commodity is cheap and that it to where it is expensive. If you avoid witnesses paradox can be low.

Entropy: Manipulate games of chance.

Matter: Turn coal into diamonds. Or turn industrial grade diamonds into fine jewels.

Time: Learn who is going to win X. Then bet accordingly.

Life: Turn the cheap stuff into the good stuff.

Prime and Matter: Make gold rings and/or necklaces and pawn them.

The right set of spheres can let you find rare antiques and collectables.

Spirits often know where the good stuff is.

Thanks for the ideas, but I was mentioning the limit of the mentioned spheres in the options (Entropy and Mind 3 OR Correspondence 3, Mind, Entropy and Prime at 1). Of your list only Correspondence and Entropy apply.

At level 3 Correspondence you can only teleport yourself and what you can carry, valuable but not that simple.

Entropy 3 for games of chance seems likely but only those that do not require identification (until one can be acquired).

For the Correspondence and Matter examples, I’d be starting from nothing and going against all the corporations, companies, importers, gangs, cartels, syndicates, et cetera who are already doing their best to do that same thing. And they have production, distribution, and economies of scale on their side.
              Last edited by lbeaumanior; 02-25-2021, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post
                Who's going to buy them?

He/him

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                  Who's going to buy them?
                  Pawnbrokers, certainly; but if the setting follows real-world history closely enough, there might be more market than you'd expect. De Beers doesn't have the same monopolistic control of the diamond market that it did even a generation ago.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
                  - H.L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                    Who's going to buy them?
                    Nobody you could make a decent profit off. Same sphere spread gets you into cash-for-gold, and it's faster, simpler, a whole lot more coincidental, and easily done with Entropy 3/Matter 2. All you'd need for tools are a chemistry set, some spectroscopy equipment, and a computer which suits a technomagical paradigm just fine.

Good karma, too, if you're buying cheap shit off poor and desperate people for good prices, then "assaying" it and -- well golly gee as luck would have it, that gaudy costume-jewelry looking horror show you just bought off someone for a month's worth of groceries for their family really was a 24 carat antique after all!

Comment

Originally posted by lbeaumanior View Post

A process server is a person who delivers a court order and/or documents that compel a defendant's presence in court. The process server must also show proof that the documents were in fact served, which is typically accomplished with a notarized proof of service.

What spheres does this rote require?
                      I don't know.

I googled "Process server" but what I don't get is how Arcane could make someone better at this job.

She/Her. I am very literal-minded and write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
                      My point of view may be different from yours but is equally valid.
                      Exalted and cWoD book list. Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors.

Comment

While not smart in the long term, a lot of people think they can avoid legal action (or at least stall it) if they avoid being served papers. So there's a subset of process servers that specialize in serving people that are actively trying to avoid it. Arcane comes in because it lets you get close to people without them realizing it; thus serving them without them realizing what you're up to.

Comment

Working...
                        X