Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So is WandaVision the story of a Marauder?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob the Skull View Post

I don't believe you. I also don't accept fake apologies ("Sorry if you felt offended"). I'm through with you.
    Then report them, don't take the fight on yourself.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post
      Agatha Harness in the comics could and did play the villain as a means to deflect trouble from those deserving help. Given how cunning Agatha has been in the past, we can't be sure if she's in custody or not.

If memory serves, both Doctor Doom and Kang the Conqueror have declined to tangle with Agatha in a battle of wits. That should tell you something about her abilities.
      keep in mind how heavily the MCU draws on the Ultimates universe though, and I believe she’s less nuanced there.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
        For what it's worth, I've never been a fan of the notion that Marauders can't be cured and Nephandi are irredeemable. Sure, it should be really hard to undo these conditions, not the least of which is that the mage in question needs to be willing if there's to be any chance at all; but given that, there ought to be a way to do it.
        My personal head canon over the years has been that Marauders are the result of Avatars which are, on some level, fundamentally broken or damaged (possibly due to some past incarnation's trauma, because of what ever event which created Avatars in the first place, or something going badly wrong with that particular Awakening). As such, they can't be cured, at least not at present. But various groups of Mages have worked on the problem for centuries and continue to do so. If my PCs decide they want to be among those Mages, then they're the most likely ones to eventually find a possible fix.

I've yet to watch WandaVision (I can't, in good conscience, give money to Disney), but I'm generally familiar with the source material its drawing on. I don't have my books available to check, but I seem to recall that the Marauder signature character, Robert Davenport, had a similar situation, in which his family was dead, but part of his overall mental state had something to do with trying to recreate them using magic.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
        Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Honestly, I think it is.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
            I've yet to watch WandaVision (I can't, in good conscience, give money to Disney), but I'm generally familiar with the source material its drawing on. I don't have my books available to check, but I seem to recall that the Marauder signature character, Robert Davenport, had a similar situation, in which his family was dead, but part of his overall mental state had something to do with trying to recreate them using magic.
            Davenport's situation indeed is kinda similar to Wanda's during the miniseries, since his Quiet is to believe his dead wife and daughter are alive. However, he's not actually trying to recreate them using a conscious act of magic. His Marauder Quiet's reality bubble automatically does it for him, at least most of the time. According to the Marauder fiction piece in Book of Shadows, the 1st Ed. Player's Guide, sometimes he remembers they are dead, and then interacting with their manifestations gets rather awkward and painful for him, or they go away for a while. The situation gets further muddled by his Avatar's habit of taking his wife's shape, although most of the time he does not notice the difference.

Davenport's situation has been hinted to be somewhat special across various editions. He seems to have a destiny as the thing closest to a faction leader the Marauders get to have, and as such he is kind of special among his kind. He has a lower Quiet and seems closest to self-awareness about his own nature than most Marauders, and has an uncanny talent to syncronize different Quiets into easily translatable and mutually understandable terms.

One thing I always liked about Davenport is that fiction piece declares the Marauder cause (and the gain for the sacrifice of Marauders' sanity) to be "Freedom. Infinite freedom", according to his frank discussion with his Avatar during a moment of clarity.
            Last edited by Irioth; 03-11-2021, 04:14 AM.

Comment

For what it's worth, Wanda wasn't doing it deliberately, either. She as much as said so at one point.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                For what it's worth, Wanda wasn't doing it deliberately, either. She as much as said so at one point.
                Yep. And we saw it happen: it was a grief-fueled burst of spontaneous magic, without much conscious direction.

As it concerns the issue of Marauder Quiet being potentially treatable/recoverable, certain edition rules (Revised IIRC, although I don't remember if this is confirmed in M20 or not) allow it to a degree, but not entirely. There is a minimum Quiet level for each Marauder that cannot be removed in normal circumstances, but sometimes it can get significantly higher than that (IIRC main cause is overflowing Paradox exceeding the Marauder's immunity threshold). The 'extra' Quiet can be usually shedded and recovered from, with time, effort, and interaction with other entities that do not share the same Quiet.
                Last edited by Irioth; 03-11-2021, 04:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Irioth View Post

Sorry if you felt offended, but I just meant to pick the opportunity to comment on the well-known Redemption Means Death trope and 'retributive justice is best' meme which I greatly dislike, and your point apparently referred to some degree. Never meant to assume anything about your personal opinion.
                  A good redemption arc should have the subject of the arc try to heal the person/people they hurted or atleast interact with them. That’s when the Manga “A silent voice” is one of my favorite redemption arcs the plot is the main character trying to make amends for bullying a deaf girl.

Comment

Working...
                  X