Alternate Houses Ex Miscellanea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternate Houses Ex Miscellanea

So at my own table I used the Revised OoH lineup of Houses, except the minor houses of Ex Miscellanea (because I don’t use the fall of the major Crafts), so I tweaked up some Lesser Houses of my own I thought I’d share

House Jabal - taking their name from the Biblical figure Freemason tradition holds to be the first mason, this lesser house claims the legacy of the intellectual tradition of the Craftmasons before they defected from the Order. Some outsiders roll their eyes at this House claiming the intellectual legacy while denying any continuity from the defection and Order of Reason (at least House Solificati owns it!), but there is undeniably a deep intersection between their sacred geometry/geomancy/architecture, promoting their inherent divinity of Man and Labor, and the goals of Hermeticism.

House Mu: Theosophists with a high ritual hodge podge of Eastern and Western thought, seeking fallen Awakened civilizations, and paradigmatically intersecting high magick with psionics as a pure expression of Will. Very close working relationship with the Etherites exploring Hollow Earth. They were House Thule originally, but the non-Nazis changed the House’s name after their original leadership was executed after WW2

House Skopos: (unchanged)

House Solomon: Choristers and quite a few fellow Hermetics resent the presumption of this House claiming that name, especially given their unseemly reputation. Explorers of Hermetic demonology including Goetia, the label of infernalist hangs precariously over every member of this house like a sword of Damocles. But they fiercely insist they are BINDERS, bending the infernal to their will, not the other way around. They do not make deals, they triumph over those they summon or exorcise. Thus they present themselves as in truth the Order’s front line against the infernal, not its servants. They stare the temptation of Nephandism in the face in order to reject it and strengthen their own will.

House Criamon: (minor recontextualization) as it was, the once major House of Hermes could never survive the formation of the Cult of Ecstasy as a collective power block in Europe picking up those who would have been their recruits. Its numbers have thus receded over the centuries, disappearing into Ex Miscellanea. But there it still exists serving an important role within the Order. As House Solomon stares Infernalism in the face and bends it to the Hermetic will, so does Criamon stare down the Quiet of the Marauder and the Outer Lords of the K’llasshaa. They deal in riddles with no conceivable answers and plunge into mental labyrinths of the esoteric to bring back the unknowable for the Order of Hermes. Like Lovecraft protagonists, not all return from those plunges whole, and the House maintains the care for those Hermetics (from their House or otherwise) who succumb to Quiet, who may still in their state provide important knowledge for the Order (those who go K’llasshaa are not contained and cared for of course, they’re executed)
    Last edited by glamourweaver; 03-16-2021, 06:19 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

These are really killer! Any objection to me posting a few of my own?

Never not tired

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
      House Solomon: Choristers and quite a few fellow Hermetics resent the presumption of this House claiming that name, especially given their unseemly reputation. Explorers of Hermetic demonology including Goetia, the label of infernalist hangs precariously over every member of this house like a sword of Damocles. But they fiercely insist they are BINDERS, bending the infernal to their will, not the other way around. They do not make deals, they triumph over those they summon or exorcise. Thus they present themselves as in truth the Order’s front line against the infernal, not its servants. They stare the temptation of Nephandism in the face in order to reject it and strengthen their own will.
      Isn't this House Tytalus.... except actually compitent?

Comment

Solomon sound a bit like the Red Circle from Devil's Due, (minus the quasi-Satanism).

Originally posted by Lian View Post
        Isn't this House Tytalus.... except actually compitent?
        I thought that initially, but quickly looking over stuff, I don't think so. The Tytalians taking up Spirit magic happens after the Second Massasa War, but it's very explicit that they steer clear of 'demonology'.

Though if you look to their alter-ego incarnation in Ars Magica, yeah, they're explicitly demonologists.

Comment

Originally posted by The Nilbog View Post
          These are really killer! Any objection to me posting a few of my own?
          none at all!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Solomon sound a bit like the Red Circle from Devil's Due, (minus the quasi-Satanism).

I thought that initially, but quickly looking over stuff, I don't think so. The Tytalians taking up Spirit magic happens after the Second Massasa War, but it's very explicit that they steer clear of 'demonology'.

Though if you look to their alter-ego incarnation in Ars Magica, yeah, they're explicitly demonologists.
            hmmm... I didn’t know that. I may just make the Tytalians fill that role at my own table... I’ll wrestle with it a bit.

Comment

Well, since...

Originally posted by Michael
              The Tytalians taking up Spirit magic happens after the Second Massasa War, but it's very explicit that they steer clear of 'demonology'.
              Maybe one could say the Solomon were a splint of House Tytalus that refused to stay clear of it, and somehow got allowed to survive on Ex-Miscellanea

Comment

House Audito - Although this young House boasts a pedigree that dates back to the original Cults of Hermes in classical Greece, it was only with the inquiry of an ambitious young Bonisagus in the past few decades that the ancient theories of universal harmonics and divine music have reentered the "mainstream" Hermetic Paradigm in force, lead by House Audito. The "Conductors" have before them a great body of work on the subject that remains unexamined and neglected, moldering in ancient archives. The House may, in fact, be suffering from too much of a good thing: it will take several mortal lifetimes to pore through even the pre-Aristotelian material. And that's the bare minimum, as the field of occult musicology can gain insight from every Tradition, Craft, and even Convention! (To say nothing of the night-folk. Or the Sleepers. Or the Umbrood) Still vibrant and ambitious, House Audito welcomes allies from myriad unlikely sources to help them decode their embarrassment of riches.

House Voynich - Formed by Wilfrid Voynich, this minor house was created initially for the sole purpose of decoding the (in)famous Voynich Manuscript. Working closely with Houses Shaea and Fortunae in the early days, the House has expanded to incorporate all branches of occult relic hunting and pawnbrokerage. While a tiny minority still focuses their talents on cryptology, the House is known primarily as one of the most prolific traders of mystical antiques within the Traditions. While many regard their practices as crass profit mongering, many of the "Curators" are apparently genuine in their belief that they are agents of grand destinies, seeing to it that Wonders find their way into the hands of their destined wielder.

Never not tired

Comment

Originally posted by Aleph View Post
                  Maybe one could say the Solomon were a splint of House Tytalus that refused to stay clear of it, and somehow got allowed to survive on Ex-Miscellanea
                  That might fit quite well.

To go back to Ars Magica again. Demon summoning and spirit magic isn't something everyone in the House Tytalus does. The House itslef is formed around Tytalus' ethos (basically what we get in Ascension) whilst a sort of inner sub-order called the Titanoi preserve Tytalus' specific magical tradition. In the relatively recent past of the basic setting of Ars (so about 1250 CE I think) the Titanoi were heavily purged for infernalism leaving only a small number of them around.

So, it's strictly speaking the Titanoi that House Solomon reminds me of.

Comment

House Hekate
                    (Initially inspired by a comment writer Diedre Brooks made about "Thrice-Great Hekate/Hekate-Trismegistus" as a female Hekate-Isis counterpart to Thoth-Hermes, as well as material about Hermetic witches in the Ars Magica version of ExMisc.) Founded around 1970 by a coven of female Hermetics, based on second-wave feminism, Gardnerian Wicca ritual, and fostering the growth of one's Inner Goddess. They managed to expand relatively quickly for an Ex Miscellanea House, mostly owing to the cultural zeitgeist of the time, and have three primary cells/covens located in California, Britain, and Germany, with individual members scattered about wherever the game needs them. Members tend to be socially and politically active to some degree, as well as fostering various business and creative interests (the Germans have always had a special interest in film making).

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

That might fit quite well.

To go back to Ars Magica again. Demon summoning and spirit magic isn't something everyone in the House Tytalus does. The House itslef is formed around Tytalus' ethos (basically what we get in Ascension) whilst a sort of inner sub-order called the Titanoi preserve Tytalus' specific magical tradition. In the relatively recent past of the basic setting of Ars (so about 1250 CE I think) the Titanoi were heavily purged for infernalism leaving only a small number of them around.

So, it's strictly speaking the Titanoi that House Solomon reminds me of.

This but broadly Solomon seems to not have the "and constantly failed" as their setup. tytalus in ars DID almost fall to diablolism. In Ascension they DID almost fall to the "We can control our blood addiction" The broad ethos of "We stare temptation in the face and use it to strengthen our enlightened will" is very tytalian.. of course... then they fail at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

This but broadly Solomon seems to not have the "and constantly failed" as their setup. tytalus in ars DID almost fall to diablolism. In Ascension they DID almost fall to the "We can control our blood addiction" The broad ethos of "We stare temptation in the face and use it to strengthen our enlightened will" is very tytalian.. of course... then they fail at it.
                        if I expanded the writeup I’d talk more about when they do fail. My goal would be to communicate that it happens often enough to make everyone suspicious of them, but not often enough that the Order leadership views them as a whole as more dangerous than useful.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

if I expanded the writeup I’d talk more about when they do fail. My goal would be to communicate that it happens often enough to make everyone suspicious of them, but not often enough that the Order leadership views them as a whole as more dangerous than useful.
                          OH I would expect failure all the time. Just there would be examples of success to counterbalance it. Tytalus seems to... just fail.

Comment

Working...
                          X