On the subject of making money

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the subject of making money

I'm looking for ways to make money in mage, especially if it involves using spheres. Post all the ways all of y'all can think of down below.

(This is more stealing than making money.) Stand near an ATM, use Mind 2 to check for persons with the biggest allowances on their bank cards. Then use Mind 2 to read the PIN numbers of the bank cards, and Correspondence 2 to steal the cards.
    This is so simple and easy that it feels like the Syndicate should have some means of punishing overuse of such a magickal heist. It is within their purview, after all.
    Last edited by Muad'Dib; 03-22-2021, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Entropy with gambling. Though need to limit it a little so the odds don't get to long.

Comment

Time 2. See what next week's lottery numbers will be.
        Mind 3. Control someone rich into giving you all their money.
        Spirit and Entropy. Get ghosts to tell you were they hid their money.

Comment

Matter 2 lets you turn lead into gold. Matter 2 or 3 + Prime 2 will literally allow you to "make money," although making gold and selling it is again probably easier than making good counterfeits.

I've seen this question come up once or twice before, and the mountain of possible answers is endless. I have one or two related questions to maybe throw out there for consideration as well.

I think when asking "how can a Mage make money with Magic," you maybe need to start with the question of whether they are looking for a one-time expenditure or a steady income? The former is something a Mage might just pull out of their rear occasionally as the plot demands, but the latter probably ought to be represented on a character sheet in the form of a Resources Background. If one chooses to go that route, a more specific question emerges: what is the minimum number of Spheres required to easily maintain the income represented by X Resources dots? That question can be further conditioned with time constraints (how can someone who just learned magic go from poor to rich, Resources 5, ASAP?) or moral/legal considerations.

As a related question, how inclined would any potential Storytellers reading this be to allow a "magical bank robber" to treat their escapades as a casual-downtime kind of employment, versus something that the character would actually have to roleplay and potentially risk failure at every once in a while? Half the examples that tend of come up in these conversations seem to involve robbery of some kind, so I'm kind of curious to see how much it might be regarded as a "downtime" activity versus something the player is actually expected to, you know, play out.

Comment

Honestly, just seeing what next week's lottery numbers are, then investing your winnings in a diverse portfolio of dividend stocks would make you rich work-free permanently. Wait until the lottery is at a 100 million or more, win it, invest it, and even a portfolio that averages ten-percent would mean an incredible amount of money pouring in each year effort-free.

Comment

In case it hasn't been said, a simple Matter-3, Prime-2 rote would let you create gold. A few gold rings, plain and unadorned, could easily be hocked.

With the right Spheres you simply "find" collectables, This could easily be coincidental. Search the books found in an abandoned storage unit and find a signed first edition of "Stranger in a Strange Land," or Ruth Plumbly Thompson's "The Silver Princess of Oz," or anything else worth a week's pay or so.
              Last edited by Astromancer; 03-22-2021, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CajunKhan View Post
                Honestly, just seeing what next week's lottery numbers are, then investing your winnings in a diverse portfolio of dividend stocks would make you rich work-free permanently. Wait until the lottery is at a 100 million or more, win it, invest it, and even a portfolio that averages ten-percent would mean an incredible amount of money pouring in each year effort-free.

Though you should be careful with this method. While it is not universal, in the US at least your required to present yourself to receiving your winning and wouldn't it be a shame if there was an Extraordinary Citizen or Syndicate member there ready to see if you're a Mage when you turn up to get your hundred million. (Honestly, I can just see the NWO and the Syndicate laughing at how easy this is as every mage decides to win the lottery and then get picked up. The Tradition Mages probably have to slap the young kids newly Awakened upside the head telling them not to be idiots.)

Comment

Well, if the lottery is out, then just scalp stocks. Keep in mind, even as a real world human, I make decent bank scalping stocks. It's really not that hard to notice that a stock keeps floating between 8.84 and 8.86 and back again, buy a bunch of shares and sell them, rinse and repeat to the tune of a hundred dollars a day net profit on good days. With a little time magic, they'd be all good days, and I wouldn't need to be nearly as cautious with my margins. If I see a stock is going to go up 10 cents in the next 15 minutes, or so see that a stock that has been floating back and forth for hours is about to dip hard, that kind of information would vastly improve my net profits.

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post
                    In case it hasn't been said, a simple Matter-3, Prime-2 rote would let you create gold. A few gold rings, plain and unadorned, could easily be hocked.

With the right Spheres you simply "find" collectables, This could easily be coincidental. Search the books found in an abandoned storage unit and find a signed first edition of "Stranger in a Strange Land," or Ruth Plumbly Thompson's "The Silver Princess of Oz," or anything else worth a week's pay or so.
                    I'd probably used an empty tinted out van, that way, you can conjure a large amount of items in your van and it always coincidental, assuming you leave by the drivers door.

Comment

Originally posted by AscentionTheMage View Post

I'd probably used an empty tinted out van, that way, you can conjure a large amount of items in your van and it always coincidental, assuming you leave by the drivers door.
                      Unless the van is a sanctum, I'd rule that one as vulgar without witnesses as an ST.
                      Mind you that "average observer" when it comes to vuglarity refers to the "average knowlege and belief" in an area, moreso than "Average chance of somebody peeking into the van".
                      Pulling a random conjured item out of a pocket/trenchcoat/backpack rides the coincidental edge (and so does pulling a rabbit out of a hat on stage, due to mystic threads/hypernarrative), but "Sitting inside a little house/cabin/van and making stuff appear in front of you" is definitely past that edge.

As a good guideline to figure this out, remember that paradox is rarely retroactive in M20 - it either strikes the mage the moment they cast the effect, or it never does ( With the exceptions of stuff like, say, illusions or strange creatures breaking down later from unbelief. You can consider Czar Vargo's disappearance as an extreme version of this, caused by thousands of onlookers, rather than a literal Paradox Backlash ).
                      So if coincidentialness depends on what you do *after* you've cast the effect - i.e. leave only through the driver door - it's already too late. You can consider it vulgar at the moment of casting.
                      Contrary to that, conjuring something inside a pocket or backpack does not depend on any special behavior after. It would be subject to the Domino Effect, however, depending on how repeatedly you pull something out of it, and the size of the items.
                      Last edited by Ambrosia; 03-23-2021, 04:48 AM.

cWoD Dice Probability Chart ||| cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator ||| cWoD Alternative Armor System
                      cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System ||| My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels ||| 'Interesting' Strength Attribute Stuff
                      EXPLOSIVE cWoD STUFF! ||| How Technocrats don't think they are Mages

Comment

Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post
                        (This is more stealing than making money.) Stand near an ATM, use Mind 2 to check for persons with the biggest allowances on their bank cards. Then use Mind 2 to read the PIN numbers of the bank cards, and Correspondence 2 to steal the cards.
                        Dont you need Matter 1 or 2 for taking the cards?

Comment

Originally posted by lbeaumanior View Post

How would you hack an ATM?

Comment

Another route is to buy something broken down, like a junker car, and use Matter/Entropy rotes to repair and recondition the thing. Get the rusted out shell of a classic car, transform it into a mint condition beauty, sell for big bucks. As most of the magic is done in a sanctum paradox is not an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by lbeaumanior View Post

Yeeesno.
                              M20 hides an important fact about Correspondence-on-its-own it in the paragraphs in the Correspondence section before the actual individual levels get described: You *only* need to use other patterns with Correspondence, if you *don't* work with whole patterns, or when doing something else than actual physical touch across distance:

On its own, Correspondence allows the mage to reach
                              across distances, even to places she cannot see or touch. At
                              Rank 2 or higher, she can grasp items and work with them
                              from a distance. To manipulate other objects or beings in ways
                              other than physical contact, however, that mage must combine
                              Correspondence with another Sphere
                              Despite its ability to warp space and distance,
                              Correspondence deals only with whole Patterns, unless a target
                              has been altered by another Pattern Sphere; Correspondence
                              alone, for example, cannot teleport someone’s head off
                              – the
                              mage would need to use Life magick to separate the head from
                              its body. A gun, on the other hand, could be snatched away by
                              Correspondence alone
                              So technically you can even teleport other people without Life by literally reaching across and physically pulling them through. Same for the cards.
                              Last edited by Ambrosia; 03-25-2021, 07:23 AM.

cWoD Dice Probability Chart ||| cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator ||| cWoD Alternative Armor System
                              cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System ||| My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels ||| 'Interesting' Strength Attribute Stuff
                              EXPLOSIVE cWoD STUFF! ||| How Technocrats don't think they are Mages

Comment

Working...
                              X