No announcement yet.

Where are the marines from Iteration X?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are the marines from Iteration X?

All over the technocracy books I see time and again how they mention the relationship of Iteration X with the military industrial complex, and how they have an army of deadly cyborg marines with the most devastating weapons known to man. However, when I read about the different methodologies of the convention none of them strike me as the militaristic type. It surprises me that they don't have a methodology dedicated to pure militaristic pursuits, or just a standing army. I mean the syndicate has the enforcers, the progenitors have damage control, etc... Am I missing something?
    Last edited by Firanai; 03-26-2021, 03:28 PM.

Biomechanics make cyborgs, including ones designed as killing machines/super soldiers.

Also, that's one of the main purposes of HIT Marks.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by Firanai View Post
      All over the technocracy books I see time and again how they mention the relationship of Iteration X with the military industrial complex, and how they have an army of deadly cyborg marines with the most devastating weapons known to man. However, when I read about the different methodologies of the convention none of them strike me as the militaristic type. It surprises me that they don't have a methodology dedicated to pure militaristic pursuits, or just a standing army. I mean the syndicate has the enforcers, the progenitors have damage control, etc... Am I missing something?
      There's no dedicated soldier group because they *all* take turns operating as soldiers. It's seen as a reward to get a combat posting. They're basically all building weapons waiting for the day they're the one that gets to use them.

Comment

In the Technocracy Reloaded manuscript, it's pointed out that Iteration X's Methodologies aren't the organizing principle for the Convention. Instead, the organization consists of Scrum Teams, the Research and Development department, and the Analytics Department. Each Methodology has its own way of participating in these departments, though not necessarily equally: you're more likely to find a Statistician in Analytics than on a Scrum Team, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
          In the Technocracy Reloaded manuscript, it's pointed out that Iteration X's Methodologies aren't the organizing principle for the Convention. Instead, the organization consists of Scrum Teams, the Research and Development department, and the Analytics Department. Each Methodology has its own way of participating in these departments, though not necessarily equally: you're more likely to find a Statistician in Analytics than on a Scrum Team, for example.
          Thanks, but that begs the questions: what are the methodologies within the convention then? Philosophies? Departments? Something else?

Comment

Thanks, but that begs the questions: what are the methodologies within the convention then? Philosophies? Departments? Something else?
            I'd say it's kind of like saying what your area of studying is vs how you are utilized within the structure. Not everyone who gets a Physics degree just goes on to do Physics but they wouldn't likely be utilized as soldiers

"The only consistent wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" ~ Socrates

Comment

That said, even the Statisticians have a place in the Scrum Teams. In Technocracy Reloaded's entry on Iteration X, the section on Focus points out that martial arts is something that's practiced by them. And the Union has no shortage of guns, either. Given that, a Statistician's expertise in Entropy could prove very deadly on a battlefield. Heck, while it's other Methodologies that specialize in the creation of such things as hardsuits, there's nothing saying that a Statistician can't put one on.
              Last edited by Dataweaver; 03-26-2021, 08:52 PM.

Comment

According to TR, Iteration X's Methodologies are:

The BioMechanics (who specialize in the man-machine interface)

The Macrotechnicians (who have taken over responsibility for the Devices created by the Convention that aren't covered by the other Methodologies, specifically including the digital stuff)

The Time-Motion Managers (who have taken it upon themselves to deal with stuff having to do with Quantum Mechanics)

The Statisticians (who deal with matters involving prediction).

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                  According to TR, Iteration X's Methodologies are:

The BioMechanics (who specialize in the man-machine interface)

The Macrotechnicians (who have taken over responsibility for the Devices created by the Convention that aren't covered by the other Methodologies, specifically including the digital stuff)

The Time-Motion Managers (who have taken it upon themselves to deal with stuff having to do with Quantum Mechanics)

The Statisticians (who deal with matters involving prediction).

I'm a bit confused about Macrothechnicias and the digital stuff. How is that related? I though macrotechnicians only dealt with large scale engineering projects. I can see them involved in plans to expand internet infrastructure all over the world, but digital? What are they doing there?

Comment

I'm a bit confused about Macrothechnicias and the digital stuff. How is that related? I though macrotechnicians only dealt with large scale engineering projects. I can see them involved in plans to expand internet infrastructure all over the world, but digital? What are they doing there?
                    Fairly sure the Macrotechnicians are those involved in mass production and putting things to the Masses. Which of course, involves things like machine learning, better algorithms, and A.I. After all, the internet exists.

Comment

BioMechanics make cybernetics and specialize in life.

Macrotechnicians specialize in large scale engineering projects, but do other stuff. Matter.

Time-Motion Managers specialize in Logistics. Their specialty sphere was Time.

Statisticians are based around predicting the future, Entropy.

Comment

Thanks for all your answers. I have another question for you. Who gets to decide when to call the marines? Say, a grey suit from the NWO or a high executive from the Syndicate see that shit is about to hit the fan and the mission is about to end with a lot of deaths, it's time to bring the big guns. Do they have the authority to request such support without approval? It's just that I have a hard time picturing the hierarchy in the union when it comes to request assets from a different convention. Is there an established protocol?

Comment

Thanks for all your answers. I have another question for you. Who gets to decide when to call the marines? Say, a grey suit from the NWO or a high executive from the Syndicate see that shit is about to hit the fan and the mission is about to end with a lot of deaths, it's time to bring the big guns. Do they have the authority to request such support without approval? It's just that I have a hard time picturing the hierarchy in the union when it comes to request assets from a different convention. Is there an established protocol?

That is very dependent on how you want to run your game, but you are right that this isn't a hierarchical thing. It's a grand conspiracy thing. If someone in the media/bureaucracy side of the conspiracy (the NWO) wanted to get some firepower from the military-industrial complex side of the conspiracy (ItX), they aren't going to do it by orders. Not only is that not the relationship between the Conventions, it is a really bad way to maintain a hidden conspiracy. Instead they are going to call in debts, trade favors, offer incentives. hire mercenaries, etc.

The Technocracy involves the military industrial complex, big business, lobbyists, the media, politics, etc. There is a ton of mutual backscratching in the organization.

Now there are people who can just give orders and there are councils that oversee the various multi-Convention plans, but these people are generally more removed from day to day operations.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

Note that the NWO also has its Enlightened Shock Corps specifically so that they have some big guns of their own in case they need something like that and don't have the time to finagle them out of their allies.

Comment

A thing to note that this all depends on not only which convention you're dealing with, but what you are.

Mundane? Syndicate bro just hires an assassin or hitmen. Changeling? Reactions vary from Progenitor to Iteration X. Vampires? Other mages? Depends on the political situation.

The Technocracy is an organisation with incredible resources and even more incredible expenditures. It's populated by proud and willful mages, the least of which have Willpower 5 and the power to force reality to bend to their will. Differing conventions not only have different tools at their disposal but literally different ways of viewing the world.

If it's not urgent there's going to be a lot of backbiting and favor trading that comes around in an organisation like that. A slow giant. If you're an urgent problem there's entire methodologies devoted to murdering people like you.

Comment

Working...
                              X