Time of Judgement : Question on the main Ascension scenario

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time of Judgement : Question on the main Ascension scenario

Hello fellow Mages! I have a background / metaplot question. So if you don't know the metaplot and don't want to, beware SPOILERS!!! This concerns the main scenario of the time of Judgement book.

In the Ascension book and on the wiki, it is stated that Cameron Mustai was taken in by the Batini before joining the Janissaries. He realized with the knowledge of both factions that during the Time of Judgement, the Ascension and Armageddon was the same thing and that his House will bring the end of the world.

How so???? I get that according to the history of the janissaries/ksifarai, the ixoi want to bring the Ascension, but what I don't get is what in the history of the Batini states that this is actually Armageddon. In the book, the sentences are (p. 53) :

"The Entelechy broke down into individual Mages. Entropy was inextricabily tied to Judgement. As the Entelechy ejected the wounded part of itself, its component Mages were denied the use of that sphere (I guess the 10th sphere of Telos then?). The survivors taught their fragmented insights to others and formed the Ahl-i-Batin. Those who were part of the Entelechy remembered a brief taste of the truth. Judgment would liberate humanity but at a terrible cost, for they learned that damnation and Ascension were part of the same unity."

What the hell does that mean? My interpretation is that the Entelechy was perfect so when it broke, it broke in two halves (Judgement = Ascension + Armageddon) and doomed Humanity since for Judgement to come, Ascension and Armageddon had to be reached. So they're not really one but the same, but rather the two sides of the same thing. This seems wrongfully interpreted. Could you enlighten me please?

Originally posted by NicoTheDuck View Post
    As the Entelechy ejected the wounded part of itself, its component Mages were denied the use of that sphere (I guess the 10th sphere of Telos then?).
    I took this to be a reference to the inability of the Batini to use the Sphere of Entropy.

Comment

Originally posted by NicoTheDuck View Post
      So they're not really one but the same, but rather the two sides of the same thing. This seems wrongfully interpreted. Could you enlighten me please?[/FONT]
      [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
      In this case, as Dataweaver says, I would say the Entelechy rejected Entropy. But Entropy isn't Armaggedon, Judgement is.

I think that to say that "Ascension and Armageddon are two sides of the same thing" it's an expression that can be taken as synonyms with "Ascension and Armageddon are the same thing". Material stuff can be broken in half to sepparate the halves, but symbols can be atomic.

A coin broken in half it's no longer a coin, and each half has no value w/o the other half (perhaps not true for all coins, but for many it is). Saying they're "the same thing" may not be precise as a formal philosophical formulation, but colloquially it isn't that wrong. They're both the same thing (a coin), and their value it's tied to that identity.

I understand it's meaning as that the "sides" are implying each other, you can't have one w/o the other (they would lose meaning w/o the other).

The Entelechy shattered among all it's component mages into "fragments of insight", but these fragments seem to contain both essences 'cuz they remembered "a bitter taste of the truth", that being Ascencion and Armaggedon being "part of the same unity"
      Last edited by Aleph; 04-07-2021, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X