Using the risk of Quiet to enlist a Mage's allies "against" them

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using the risk of Quiet to enlist a Mage's allies "against" them

In my head-cannon, the Technocracy and Traditions have an agreement where Marauders are concerned. They will suspend hostilities and work together, temporarily, to capture or kill a Marauder. A Mage can have a high degree of Temporary Quiet and not be considered a Marauder, whereas a Mage with a lower amount of Permanent Madness-Quiet is technically a Marauder, because they are incurable. So, framing someone as a Marauder as an espionage tactic would be considered very dangerous, because it undermines future cooperation when the threat is real.

In my Chronicle, a Tradition NPC uses Mind, Spirit, Entropy and Time to disrupt the attempts of corporate lobbyists to influence a state-government. A Syndicate Enforcer is unhappy with this and wants her out of the way. He has an NWO Watcher on his side who has gathered biometric data about the target. The plan is for the Watcher to fabricate evidence that the target's use of Magick over time has caused her multiple types of Temporary Quiet that need to be treated, assume an undercover Tradition-identity to approach a member of her Cabal and use Mind to convince them that this is true. The Watcher might alter memories of sleepers the target interacts with, so that they report seeing the target behave strangely. The target being immobilized by their own Cabal would give the Enforcer sufficient time to get his agents into the halls of power to push his Convention's agenda.

Would the Technocracy condemn this tactic if discovered by higherups?

What about Inducing Quiet through preemptive Anti-Magick used on sleepers the target uses her own Mind spells on (producing Clarity in that case)?

As for the various types of Quiet that can occur, Johr, Madness and Clarity, what evidence could be fabricated for each?

Note: The Watcher cannot use Mind directly on the target to give her symptoms, because she also has Mind. Avoiding detection is a priority.

• HorizonParty2021
    replied
    Originally posted by Ramnesis View Post
    ‚ÄčEven without getting into what Technocracy higher ups think, this seems very high risk as an outright fabrication. On the other hand if the NPC really does have a low level quiet the tactic becomes more feasible. Lies built on a foundation of truth do tend to be more convincing than outright lies.
    I had previously considered a plot in which this Mage had become a Marauder with contagious Madness. She is a lawyer. She is attempting to safeguard a state government's environmental/forestry policy against corporate and Syndicate interests. The Syndicate floods the capitol with an army of sleeper and EC lobbyists using preemptive Anti-Magick to thwart her Spells (mechanically raising the difficulty to where she frequently botches), causing her Paradox. Since it involves the Mind Sphere, it is appropriate to rule that she incurs Quiet. Since she also uses Time (a Dynamic Sphere) in conjunction, this allows for the possibility of Madness.

Her delusion is one of retroactive application of laws against corruption. In the United States (and my WoD), powerful interests have worked to change federal and state laws to make bribery legal or impossible to prove. Prisha, the Euthanatos lawyer - now Marauder, falls back on the previous interpretation of the law, reasoning that if bribery was used to erode safeguards against corruption, then the laws written by corporations that permit corruption do not apply. She interprets that a person can be prosecuted for lobbying efforts that had been made legal. Her Quiet Bubble envelops the state legislature, supreme court and capitol building so that others in the legal profession have the same interpretation.

Also afflicted with Clarity, she petitions prosecutors to launch cases against registered lobbyists, the only evidence needed to open these cases being that the accused are registered lobbyists. She does not, in her Clarity, consider that this opens the door for prosecution of people who lobbied successfully for laws protecting the environment and the undoing of those protections. So, people on both sides are held in prison with huge bails set based on their wealth and status. All of the best defense lawyers in town are working on behalf of accused clients with knowledge each other's political shenanigans.

I wasn't sure how to develop that scenario further. What I am considering now is what you just suggested - low level Quiet of a similar type with no bubble, being used for scaremongering about the potential for something like that happening. Her own Cabal is convinced to take her out of action until she is cured. Additionally, they are under surveillance, allowing the technocracy to learn more about her and her Cabal as they question her about her sanity.

Originally posted by Ramnesis View Post
    As for the higher-ups, what does your headcanon say about the link between Quiet and Marauderdom. If the Technocracy doesn't see the two as linked, I don't think they'd have a problem as long as it is done well.
    In my head-cannon, NWO's Ivory Tower attempt investigate and treat Quiet inside the Technocracy and know what a Marauder is. As educators, they already have a rapport with Technomancers who went through the evaluation courses to determine Convention-suitability. I would say that they have a more difficult time recognizing Clarity since many higherups suffer from it, the symptoms inflicted downward through the hierarchy and becoming part of Technocratic culture.

If they knew ahead of time that other Technomancers were planning to use a tactic that involved inducing minor Quiet and crying wolf about more severe Quiet, they would intervene and call for those planners to be censured in some way. The problem they face after the fact is that the people using this tactic have met with some success and are involved in ongoing operations to liberate Tradition territory, which some Technomancers had reason to allow the Traditions to keep hold of. It's quite messy and best kept quiet.

Leave a comment:

• Ramnesis
    replied
    Even without getting into what Technocracy higher ups think, this seems very high risk as an outright fabrication. On the other hand if the NPC really does have a low level quiet the tactic becomes more feasible. Lies built on a foundation of truth do tend to be more convincing than outright lies.

As for the higher-ups, what does your headcanon say about the link between Quiet and Marauderdom. If the Technocracy doesn't see the two as linked, I don't think they'd have a problem as long as it is done well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X