No announcement yet.

Lore of Traditions is here

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was fourth to pledge. The campaign was funded in 62 minutes, and hit its first stretch goal a little over an hour later. As I write this (less than an hour after the first stretch goal was hit, and about three hours into the campaign), we're about $250 away from the second stretch goal.

Comment

Let's hope that its success also leads to a book about the disparates.

Comment

The Stretch Goal that was just unlocked a few hours ago was:
        Forgotten Ones and Forbidden Orders
        A collection of lesser known but no less magickally potent orders, traditions, cults, and gatherings of mages, from the Ahl-i-Batin to Ngoma (and some in between) will be created and released as a small M20 PDF Supplement. All Kickstarter backers receiving the M20 Lore of the Traditions PDF will automatically have this PDF added to their reward list.
        Basically, the beginnings of a Lore of the Disparates/M20 Book of Crafts has just been achieved; I expect that later Stretch Goals will include some that increase the page count and scope of this. In fact, that's confirmed a bit later in the same Update that announced the Stretch Goal:
        With these, we'll have established our two primary Stretch Goal projects - Faces of Magick and Forgotten Ones & Forbidden Orders. Let's see if we can initiate both of these projects and then get to work expanding them both, with a few more fun stops along the way!
        And note that we hit this goal about 12 hours in, barely half a day into the full 30-day run.

Comment

Awesome. Just out of curiosity, is there any supplement any of you would like to see as a stretch goal?

Comment

They've already established that they'll be providing two: Faces of Magick, which is a Who's Who of the Traditions; and Forgotten Ones & Forbidden Orders, which looks like it's going to be the Disparates. I don't expect that we'll be getting any more.

But my wish list would be an M20 Book of Madness. It's now the only “faction” without a book (or the promise of one) in M20.

Comment

What's the stance on sharing content from the manuscripts for discussion? Is there a specific limit, or should one refrain from quoting any text and discussing the content more abstractly?

Comment

From past experience, use “fair use” guidelines. I've had no problem in the past with quoting those parts of the text that are directly relevant to what's being discussed; but doing an infodump of whole sections of a chapter (let alone whole chapters) is a no-no.

Put another way, you can be fairly confident that Onyx Path won't have a problem with you if your post effectively doubles as free advertising for them (whetting people's appetites and making them want to back it); but they will have a problem if your post discourages people from considering backing it (“why should I bother backing it when this guy has given me all of the text already, for free?”)

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I'll try to act judiciously in that regard.

Comment

I hope they will include some sorcerer groups in the Forgotten Ones book or just a chapter talking about sorcerers among the traditions. But that seems unlikely, though I could still ask in the comments.

Comment

Two of the Potential Recruits for the Disparate Alliance were originally introduced as sorcerer factions. Given that there's no official S20 book, I think it's a near-certainty that they'll be reinvented as mage factions if they end up getting included. That does potentially open the door for other sorcerer factions to similarly be reinvented and included.

Comment

Sahajya Preview!

Comment

Backed for Deluxe (basically my knee jerk response to being offered literally any official mage supplement). That said, I subsequently listened to the most recent Mage The Podcast episode where they interviewed some of upcoming book's authors, and, I'm tempering my expectations a little at this point. The interview seemed to focus more on what the authors are doing to correct nomenclature, and culturally insensitive material from past editions, than on new or updated factions, intrigues and politics, the evolution of any given paradigm for 2021, etc. Don't get me wrong, I think these kinds of changes are important to modernizing the game as a whole, and bringing in new players who don't have the rose-colored nostalgia glasses to rationalize the cringier stuff (and frankly, the less cringe in the game, the better,) but the day the review copy gets released to backers, the content (if present) that's going to get me so jazzed that I end up losing a day's worth of work reading the PDF in my office because I can't wait to get home won't be the sociopolitically conscientious errata.

Sig

Comment

the full Sahajiya chapter is here,it takes a good hard look at the Tradition warts and all,and i love it

Comment

Originally posted by CaptOtter View Post
                              Backed for Deluxe (basically my knee jerk response to being offered literally any official mage supplement). That said, I subsequently listened to the most recent Mage The Podcast episode where they interviewed some of upcoming book's authors, and, I'm tempering my expectations a little at this point. The interview seemed to focus more on what the authors are doing to correct nomenclature, and culturally insensitive material from past editions, than on new or updated factions, intrigues and politics, the evolution of any given paradigm for 2021, etc. Don't get me wrong, I think these kinds of changes are important to modernizing the game as a whole, and bringing in new players who don't have the rose-colored nostalgia glasses to rationalize the cringier stuff (and frankly, the less cringe in the game, the better,) but the day the review copy gets released to backers, the content (if present) that's going to get me so jazzed that I end up losing a day's worth of work reading the PDF in my office because I can't wait to get home won't be the sociopolitically conscientious errata.
                              I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've read the chapters released thus far; and what the writers focus on talking about during an interview doesn't really align with how they allot word count in the book.

Comment

Working...
                              X