This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.....The Hitchhikers guide the Galaxy.

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).
    ST: DtF, HtR, WtO, MtA
    Signature Chars: Crowley (hakalu), Joe The Nuwisha (WtA)
    Changelings: be afraid of the Technocracian High Five of Doom

Comment

Originally posted by Crowley View Post
      .....The Hitchhikers guide the Galaxy.
      The joy of French cooking

Are you on the square?
      Are you on the level?

Comment

Damn im a fucking idiot...BLACK MIRROR.: Science fiction and horror thanks to technology and our advancements...I cant say much with out spoiling it.. but watch it, just bloody watch it
        Nigh Gallery: Horror and suspense TV Show made by Rod Sterling -Twilight Zone- what else can you ask?
        Ray Bradbury's Science Fiction Theatre. another sci fi anthology based on Bradbury's works
        Master's Of Horror: Goes with out saying :P Horror, macabe, stories of different styles by different horror directors. I always considered "Cigarette Burn." the story of a Nephandi "artifact"
        Doctor Who: The Doctor is a Time Traveling Son of Ether. lets leave it to that
        Torchwood: Technocracy the TV Show
        The Adventures of Sarah Jane: A more kid version of Doctor who, Showing the point of view of an awoken woman (Sarah Jane) and the adventures she has with potential mages
        Carnivale: The struggle between good and evil, a Nephandi/Marauder and a Mage with a lot of Life (Sphere)
        Freaky Links: an old tv show, following the idea of the Hand Held Camera/Blair Witch Style mixed up with the X Files, gives a lot of interesting ideas to explore for urban mage stories
        Millenium: The brother show of the X Files, Conspiracy within the goverment, Illuminati, Satanism... Goes with out saying
        Stargate: Void Engineers the TV Show.
        Battlestar Galactica: Void Engineers the Show part 2
        Men in Black The Animated Series: New World Order The Show

Books
        Farenheit 451: The Paradigma has been shattered and broken, creative thoughts and literature are Iligal, and now we follow the story of a Sleepwalking Fireman
        The Martian Chronicles: This one is particulary interesting, it has a bit of everything. Void Engineers arriving to a new realm. Humanity downfall and even Ascension in a different kind of way.
        The Ilustrated Man: More tales from bradbury from a horror and sci fi point of view, since the Illustrated man has a bast of subjects, is easy to say that he is a man with a Paradox Backlash
        Something Wicked This Way Comes. . This one might be a bit tricky, it works for both Hunter The Reckoning AND Mage... A town invaded by a Mysterious Carnival Owner. People going missing. and G.M Dark gaining more and more power. Could perfectly be seen as another Nephandi or a pretty Dark Mage
        October Country: More horror and suspense anthology from the Master of stories about Humanism and human condition, Mister Ray Bradbury
        (basically, the whole works of Ray Bradbury)

Videogames:
        DeadSpace: Void Engineers and Banes of the most terrifying kind.
        System Shock: Both tecnocracy and Virtual adept facing a IA wanting to Evolve...
        Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Ok, ill try to sum up all the Wolfenstein games by saying the following. Now...you will notice i WONT mention The Technocracy and the Nazi Involvement or anything like that. I like to think that the Nazis on wolfenstein were able to develop their own technology with out any outside help..So no "Himmler was a Vampire" Argument, Deathhead isnt a mage nor a marauder nor anything like that. we cool? ok

The main protagonist (B.J Blazkowicz) could perfectly pass for a Son of Ether. Helping to fight the Nazi's.
        now, RtCW deals with the nazi occult division trying to resurrect a Necromancer known as Henreich I (who was put down by a Mage). B.J now must face not only the Nazi Science Division but also the S.S and its witches trying to bring back this powerful Nephandi.

Wolfenstein: the following part, not only has B.J traveling to fight the Paranormal and Science Division, now experimenting with Other Dimensions (NEPHANDI ANYONE?!) and trying to stop The Nazis. This time, B.J is able to Weld Magic....and he is also helped by a Golden Dawn type of faction so...yeah, Order of Hermes there.
        Wolfenstein: The Old Blood: On the last desperated efford of the Nazis to rule the world, they send their paranormal division to seek for Kin's Ottos monster.. this time we can see how advanced are the weaponry and technology of the Nazis.
        Wolfenstein: The New Order: Finally, the conclusion...The nazis won thank to Deathshead technology. The paradigm has shifted, B.J Survived a sharpnel to the brain, ended up in coma, woke up with his full capacities...oh, and we learn that there was an ancient faction known that developed "Technology so far advanced that looked like magic". Do i need to continue?
        Doom (?) Void Engineers fight Hell.
        The Evil Whitin: Inception..but more nightmare fuel. See Son of Aether doing Mind Science
        Dark Souls (?): Mainly because of how fucked up the universe is, the Main Hero could always pass as a mage, considering the Odds that are stacking against him
        BloodBorne (?)
        Clive Barker's Jericho: Technocracy employing different types of mages to fight an Earthbound.

Albums
        10000 Days By Tool
        Lateralus by Tool
        Aenima by Tool
        The Beatles's Magical Mystery Tour
        Bjork's Post
        Portishead's Dummy
        Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of The Moon
        Queen's Its a Kind of Magic

Last edited by Crowley; 06-15-2016, 10:49 PM.

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).

Comment

Gonna try and go through all of Crowley's submissions today, it's been hell as I've been stuck with overtime for the past two weeks.
          Crowely, I'll definetley have a couple of questions about some of them as they seem more like general fantasy (DIablo?) or rather mismatched to the tone and style of the game (Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy?). In general you mention a lot of cool and fun stuff, but I'm not 100% certain it all maps out to Mage.
          Last edited by Asmodai; 06-07-2016, 03:47 AM.

What doesn't kill you, makes you... stranger.

Comment

Yo, I'm really happy for you, I'ma let you finish, but Promethea is one of the best Mage sources of all time. The other works by Alan Moore that have been mentioned are great but only touch on magic tangentially- Promethea is a long form story about someone gaining magical powers and learning to control them, based on the enormous amount of real-world occult lore that Alan 'Rasputin Beard' Moore has amassed. It is a primer on real world magic, which the vast majority of the Mage fluff directly steals from. It is especially useful as a guide to playing interesting Hermetics, there's a long journey through the High Umbra, men in black, cool technocrats, Goetic demons, psychotic androids... It's also amazingly beautiful.
            The main criticism that has been levelled at it is that it focusses *too much* on the metaphysics of magic. It's twice the comic Books of Magic is, even though Books of Magic is fantastic- it is literally the most Mage-inspiring fiction you will find.

Comment

If we're listing Albums as a category, might I suggest Drones by Muse? Anything by Muse can work, of course, but Drones especially. It's basically all about the depredations of the Technocracy on human lives...and, in the latter songs on the album, the likely fate of the world should the Union fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodai View Post
                Gonna try and go through all of Crowley's submissions today, it's been hell as I've been stuck with overtime for the past two weeks.
                Crowely, I'll definetley have a couple of questions about some of them as they seem more like general fantasy (DIablo?) or rather mismatched to the tone and style of the game (Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy?). In general you mention a lot of cool and fun stuff, but I'm not 100% certain it all maps out to Mage.
                Diablo for Dark Ages really. , as for the Hitchhikers Guide, i always felt it as the story of a recently awaken mage who has to fleed to the umbra followed by a Changeling

Comment

So I've done a burst of updates, it's quite hard to do when the submissions are not organised and are of mixed media. I've also started tinkering with the format a bit - specifically by starting to list most notable works for the authors that are generally in line with Mage. It's going to be especially useful thanks to the capsule reviews of individual works that have started popping up.

An additional question that I'd like to posit in front of the community is what should be added to the master list. Should we focus on works that are close in subject matter, themes and style to Mage as presented or should we go broad? For instance, one could easily argue that both Sword in the Stone and Princess and the Frog have excellent inspiration for a Ba'ata or a Hermetic in their sidecharacters, but on a whole neither of those movies are particularly Magey.

I had a long number of samples and ideas to discuss with your folks and to ask for some further explanations from Crowley, but a Firefox crash ate it. I'll get back to this later, especially when I hear what you folks would like to see.

Comment

An additional question that I'd like to posit in front of the community is what should be added to the master list. Should we focus on works that are close in subject matter, themes and style to Mage as presented or should we go broad? For instance, one could easily argue that both Sword in the Stone and Princess and the Frog have excellent inspiration for a Ba'ata or a Hermetic in their sidecharacters, but on a whole neither of those movies are particularly Magey.
                    Make two lists :-).
                    Planescape Torment should be added to the Magey list, I'd say. It is extremely inspiring for any situations involving Paradox, and it focuses extremely strongly on the fact that belief shapes reality.
                    Sacrifice should be in the second list, because of how inspiring it is for Umbra related adventures (the five gods of Sacrifice could easily be ported wholly into a Mage game as Spirit Lords, with their realms and their servants).
                    Of course, if you do just one list, then Sacrifice should still be on it, because it's definitely a top 10 game in regards to artistic quality of the design. :>

Comment

An additional question that I'd like to posit in front of the community is what should be added to the master list. Should we focus on works that are close in subject matter, themes and style to Mage as presented or should we go broad? For instance, one could easily argue that both Sword in the Stone and Princess and the Frog have excellent inspiration for a Ba'ata or a Hermetic in their sidecharacters, but on a whole neither of those movies are particularly Magey..
                      I think a few side notes on the ones like that should be sufficient.
                      "Sword in the Stone - primarily for Merlin"
                      "Princess and the Frog - for Dr Facilier dealing with spirits"
                      "The Matrix - for.....pretty much everything" (k, just being silly with that one)
                      Last edited by Papa Bear; 06-14-2016, 12:36 PM.

- If you must be ridiculous, I must ridicule you.
                      - Those that can give up essential liberties in exchange for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

K, another elaboration, Ray Bradbury, but not a specific story.

Mr Bradbury and his contemporaries were the grandfathers of science fiction. Sure, Jules Verne and HG Wells had penned a few, but we'll call them the great-grandfathers, since there's been a few waves of the genre now. Bradbury and company were the ones who wrote for radio sci-fi shows and put into place many of the tropes that have not only held up over the years, but been specifically targeted for deconstruction, subversion and flat out called "false/bad/wrong/old/out-of-style". But if you want to understand the Society of Ether (and the attitudes of some other Traditionalists), they are a must read. Not for the archaic, sometimes wacky, tech but for the attitude. Those stories were written in an era when they still thought modern science was going to fix everything, there was optimism and hope for the future, Brave New World was taken as a warning but also with a grain of salt, it was considered too unlikely. The world was there for the exploring and the changing and they were going to usher mankind into one hell of a golden age. Fuck the pessimism, fuck the dark and sinister, fuck the horrible dystopias! That's what the BAD GUYS did and what the Enlightened Men of Science were preventing.

The Society of Ether might be mad, but they're laughing all the way to the better world they see in their dreams.

And what prompted this rant? Tomorrowland. I can't call it a good movie, but I can call it excellent inspiration.
                        Last edited by Papa Bear; 06-24-2016, 02:53 PM.

- If you must be ridiculous, I must ridicule you.
                        - Those that can give up essential liberties in exchange for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I've got another one, this time a Webcomic. It's called Kill Six Billion Demons.

I would recommend KSBD for a multitude of reasons, and not just for this thread. Its heavy reflection of East Asian and Hindu flavoring, truly cosmic scale, its complex and epic mythic setting. The fact that it's freaking gorgeous. Its main character going on a hero's journey to become cosmic royalty, in a manner not dissimilar to that of a Mage Awakening and adopting (or being dragged into) a Might Is Right, Dominion Focus. I could keep going on and on, both about how good the comic is and how fitting it is for a certain set of Mage characters and themes.

What drove me to mention Kill Six Billion Demons now, however, was the most current page at the time of this writing.

This page illustrates what being confronted by one's Avatar looks like, and how it can drive one towards Ascension, rather than faltering. It's breathtaking, in that context.

Honestly, I think I need to reread the whole comic from beginning to end (again), and start taking notes, just to figure out how to convey how appropriate KSBD is, especially in a Mage sense. Hold on, I'm going to do just that.

Edit: Oh, and before I forget. If anyone decides to read the comic, pay attention to the author notes under each page. They are sometimes filled with lore and arcana. Sometimes whole prose stories. It's great, and explains a lot of the mood of the comic.
                          Last edited by Bluecho; 06-25-2016, 02:55 AM.

Comment

Kill Six Billion Demons is brilliant. I would have pegged it more for Exalted, but it does have parallels with Mage!

Comment

Flex by Ferrett Steinmetz (book). I'm only halfway, but quite a few concepts would fit in Mage:
                              • The Flux: consequence of using magic, manifesting as bad luck -- the stronger the magic ("mancy"), the worst your luck.
                              • Characters who use forms and the bureaucratic machine, or videogames, to perform magic.
                              • SMASH, an anti-'mancers brigade composed of ex-'mancers alml brainwashed into Unimancy/hive mind magic --> would work nicely as a sort of Technocracy.

Stuff I Draw
                              Lyonesse Rising [The Story of an Avatar]

Comment

You know what we haven't mentioned yet? Death Note.

Consider for a moment that you have a story about a man (Light Yagami) who comes into phenomenal supernatural power, straight from a an inhuman looking manifestation of Death. That this man then goes on a journey to use that power for good...all while entertaining a god complex as a result of this power. His journey pits him against a special governmental (and then extra-governmental) task force, who has its own brilliant opposite to Light, in the form of the enigmatic L. And this journey is as much a battle of wits, deception, and manipulation, as it is a test of supernatural might. All with an undercurrent of religious symbolism, and a cautionary tale against the dangers of Hubris.

Consider next that the titular Death Note requires that the user employ the target's True Name. That L is as great a threat to Light because the shabby detective guards his True Name absolutely. Consider that some characters make deals with their reaper patrons to gain access to Shinigami Eyes (letting them see a person's True Name), in exchange for half the character's life span. If that isn't a demonic Investment, I don't know what is. Basically, the Shinigami act as Avatar, Totem, and demonic master all in one.

Comment

Working...
                                X