Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On a lark, I decided to search for cyberpunk webcomics. Drugs and Wires fit the bill better than I could ever dream.

Alternate history story that puts the punk back in cyberpunk, it's set in an alternate universe version of 1995, where cybernetic augmentations already permeate society. Among the plethora of augments, brain implants can be used to access to VR "trips", but not with very good fidelity. It's the 90s, so the technology isn't good enough for high quality interface. A problem that can be alleviated by enhancing the "picture" with drugs. This, coupled with the comic's setting in an economically depressed former soviet-bloc country, is part of the Cyberpunk. The story largely centers around a counter-culture movement of socially marginalized recreational "trip" users. Basically, what would happen if the Virtual Adepts and the Cult of Ecstasy had a bastard love child within the confines of post-Soviet Eastern Europe.

It's certainly an...interesting take on the genre, but well worth exploring. Especially since it combines two elements that Mage loves so much: technomancy and drug-based spirituality.
    Last edited by Bluecho; 12-01-2016, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluecho View Post
      It's been a long time since I've read the series, or much of any of the characters. I read a few issues of a Dr. Strange series a couple months ago, but even that escapes me. I know for a fact that Dr. Strange hops through dimensions and talks to umbrood, so he has Spirit. And if I recall correctly he was the primary teleporter for the Defenders for decades in publication time, so he's got Correspondence. Both he and Iron Fist probably have Forces, and maybe Life? Sorry I can't be more helpful.
      Some of his "energy projection" might be Prime or Spirit/Prime in Mage terms. He doesn't catch stuff on fire or freeze stuff so much as have pretty lights that do magic-y damage stuff. Possibly because they are guaranteed to hurt even most magical beings and they are less likely to do inadvertent property damage?

He's definitely down with Rotes, which seem like they might be more meaningful than they are in Mage. More like a Rote/pact with a significant Umbrood. E.g. Crimson Bands of Cyttorak, Winds of Watoomb, etc. And not all of the powers he accesses seem to be nice "people" at all. Cyttorak is also the same person who is responsible for choosing Cain Marko to be his avatar, meaning he's certainly down with what the Juggeranat does....

He's got a houseful of Wonders along with a few that he always seems to be carrying around.

He doesn't seem to heal people a lot. In fact, his whole journey starts with him having to put his days as a surgeon behind him. Though he does go from shaky gnarled hands to hands that can do all those mudra-spell-gestures.

Honestly, the fit between Dr. Strange and Mage magic is more of similarity than congruence.

Comment

Cowboy Bebop and Cowboy Bebop the movie. In the movie, vincent is a soldier who was experimented on, he wants to kill the world while believing he is in a dream and that he died time ago..If thats not a textbook marauder, i have no idea what that is

Magical Madoka: At first it begins as your average Magical Girl Show...then..it goes full World of Darkness.

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).
        ST: DtF, HtR, WtO, MtA
        Signature Chars: Crowley (hakalu), Joe The Nuwisha (WtA)
        Changelings: be afraid of the Technocracian High Five of Doom

Comment

Originally posted by Crowley View Post
          Magical Madoka: At first it begins as your average Magical Girl Show...then..it goes full World of Darkness.
          SPOILERS:

I can see it. Mage already has precedence for spirit-Awakened mages who are woefully misinformed about the true nature of the magical world they are led into. A Soul Gem is basically a Phylactery (in addition to the actual Mage object called a "Soul Gem"). And the descent into Witchdom for a Magical Girl can be seen as a particularly dark Quiet, culminating in Marauderdom. The Soul Gem going black is simply their Periapt-Phylactery absorbing a whole lot of Paradox, and launching them straight into a Marauder level Quiet when it finally reaches capacity.

Comment

Junji Ito's Work for Mage..and the entirety of WOD

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).

Comment

Utopia. The Network is either a rogue Progenitor program or, more terrifyingly, an authorised and backed one. Jessica Hyde is a euthanatos orphan, Mr Rabbit is NWO, and the whole crew become orphans as they go. Arby's either a hit mark clone or just an example of Technocracy 'conditioning' gone horribly wrong/right.

It also works great as a Werewolf story, where corvadt is obviously a Pentex limb and the big project is either the work of the Wyrm or, more frighteningly, the work of a -very- talented ratkin with some glass walker radicals talked into helping out.

Comment

Oh! The manga and anime "X/1999" by CLAMP should definitely be on here. Very apocalyptic, examines the nature of humanity, plenty of different magical paradigms, a great fit for Mage.

Comment

Hannibal the TV Show. Hell, both Hannibal, Will and The Red Dragon have avatars and Lecter is perfectly fits either a nephandi or an euthanatoi
                  has anyone mentioned Alejandro Jodorowski's work? the Holy Mountain, The Mole and so on? i think its interesting inspiration for Questings. i been told to read The Incal for inspiration but i havent been able to get it on my filthy hands
                  Last edited by Crowley; 12-15-2016, 01:25 PM.

Comment

A friend of mine did a review on a cartoon character..and he fits TOO WELL with the Sons of Aether and even has some heavy Quiet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJnxlwxBKFc

Comment

Originally posted by Crowley View Post
                      A friend of mine did a review on a cartoon character..and he fits TOO WELL with the Sons of Aether and even has some heavy Quiet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJnxlwxBKFc
                      That is literally the comparison I made in the comments of that very video. Great minds think alike.

Comment

I hate to say this but.....some real life cults can inspire a lot of Nephandi. i mean David Koresh, Jim Jones just to name a few

Comment

The new Dirk Gently series on Netflix. Srsly.
                          Watch it now.

Etherite madmen, Euthanatos marauders, Ecstatic Emotion Vampires oh my!
                          Last edited by Ambrosia; 12-23-2016, 08:28 AM.

cWoD Dice Probability Chart ||| cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator ||| cWoD Alternative Armor System
                          cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System ||| My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels ||| 'Interesting' Strength Attribute Stuff
                          EXPLOSIVE cWoD STUFF! ||| How Technocrats don't think they are Mages

Comment

Etheric Consensus? Check
                            Technocracy controlling everything? Check
                            Magick? Check

Venture Bros.
                            OSI would be the Technocracy, im still trying to figure out how David Bowie would be on WoD..also, its just me or The Investors would perfectly work out as NULL THREAT?

Comment

I have hear a lot of buzz about this book, recently got it and i haven't started it yet (nor i know anything about the book or its plot) but.. Would House of Leaves be considered as good material for inspiration?

Comment

Also, BBC's Sherlock is a Casebook of a Virtual Adept

Comment

Working...
                                X