No announcement yet.

Space Colonisation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you answer the question though? WHY did the Traditions hare off into Conventional Space? Why was that the only option?

If you don't answer that, you have a very weak premise undermined by pretty much the whole game from the existence of the Spirit Sphere on outwards unto Infinity. In fact, looking back at your OP, inter-Tradition conflict was specifically called out as an area of interest. So, why is it irrelvent to your question as one of the most logical way such conflicts would play out, e.g with the parties each going their own way. Additionally, note, I immediately threw out the "mosaic" idea, which bends back to the "We're all great friends and good neighbors here" scenario as it.

Sure, you're story can have all the Traditions stuck in dome cities on Luna having prayer circles and talking politics while shepherding the poor Sleepers into the future while the Technocracy somehow ignores the squatters who are stepping all over their schtick, but WHY? What happened to make that come about? It's pretty effing unlikely as things are currently set up. Being a Storyteller is all about telling a story that makes sense; what are the bits and pieces that bring about something as unlikely as this?
    Note: I have worked up a pretty extensive "Bright Future" setting that was largely the Traditions in charge of "Outer Space" (sic), but I certainly had reasons why that was the case. There's even a simple one right there in the rules that you don't have to look that hard for... but then you have to explain why Conventional Space ends up being different from other Umbrae in that particular way (when it is explicitly not). So, cut through the Gordian knot of the Setting as Written and the relevant aspects of the RAW to start things out down your particular primrose path. How do you get to where you want to start? What's the backstory?

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post
      Note: in this setting they won't discorperate because they settle far from the Earth. But threat Null might still be out there.
      Why wouldn't the Traditions go off into extra-Terran space that is much friendlier to their paradigms? Etherspace is just as much cannon as Outer Space (or to be Technocrat about it, Conventional Space) and though it's explicit, it doesn't seem like it makes much sense in the Mage-verse for their not to be completely “other” visions of “out there” that jibe with the conceptions of other magical paths. After all, the Umbrae are infinite and unbounded.
      They didn't want to discorperate. Dude, you've got to get over the Magic equals Old Fashioned meme.
      OK; I'm a bit confused here: first, you say that discorporation isn't an issue in this setting; then you say that the Traditions are stuck in Conventional Space because they fear discorporation?

You pick your disaster to drive folks into space, I'll pick mime. I offer you Freedom of Paradigm.
      I did just that, and got soundly ignored.

Comment

Originally posted by Ajax View Post
        Can you answer the question though? WHY did the Traditions hare off into Conventional Space? Why was that the only option?
        It was the only option key Mages could make work in time for large numbers of people without discorperation. It was available. When you think about, lifeboats are a stupid way to cross an ocean. Large cabin cruisers would be so much more comfortable. However, people get into lifeboats because it is that or death. In an emergency someone came up with a means to survive. Better wasn't available for the masses so the Mages went with what they could get.

So, cut through the Gordian knot of the Setting as Written and the relevant aspects of the RAW to start things out down your particular primrose path. How do you get to where you want to start? What's the backstory?
        I'll come up with that later. Til then, make up any back story you want for your campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
          I did just that, and got soundly ignored.
          I'm sorry if I was rude. I hoped you'd spin your tales and I'd spin mine. I didn't think they'd all have to sync up.

Comment

I'll start spinning a Mage Space Colony of my own here, and you guys can spin your versions. Let make some dreams.

Comment

I'm starting a new thread about a campaign setting called The Serpent Bracelet. It's a Mage founded space colony. Anyone can comment, but it is my storyline. I hope more ideas about Mages colonizing space show up on this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramnesis View Post
                Is it wrong that I'm now envisioning the evolution of life in space, mage-style. From superstition to hypothetical to spirit-awakened hypothetical to physical in the wastes to physical near the settlements to ecology.
                No it's weirdly cool. I. E. totaly mage.

Comment

Given that outer space is real in cannon in this game, although deep space and the deep oceans (and for that matter the underworld) are linked, space colonisation is legitimate viable in setting.

Since apocalyptic events are possible and even likely in this game, it makes sense that there would be a non Technocratic Union group seeking to settle off planet. Heck I could see a Dreamspeaker who, seeing that his tribe's culture can't survive in the modern world, might seek an off world haven for his people.

As outer space is real, not just technomancers belong there.

Comment

What governments do you think the various Trads and others would promote?

The Order of Hermes in the books has an Anarchist (as in networks but no hierarchy) society as the goal. Hierarchy is just and ugly part of the path of getting there. They're seem to favor democracy as the best incubator of their dreams.

The Technos, except for the Void Engineers, seem to be more authoritarian.

How do you see the live in the colonies each group would set up and/or sponsor?

Comment

What would be the kind of comunity your mage would found on a new world?

Comment

Working...
                      X