No announcement yet.

Sexuality and the Beast

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nothing you have said has refuted the metaphor. Therefore the metaphor still stands

Placeholder

Comment

I think, perhaps a bit more directly, metaphors aren't perfect. A metaphor is useful if the juxtaposition of the two things is useful. If the juxtaposition of sexual violence and vampires is useful to a story's themes, the metaphor works; and a large amount of vampire literature and mythology plays with that juxtaposition.

The question now is much more if vampire literature and games are well served by following the defaults of what came before. I think Vampire is, though we've seen a lot of pop culture vampire stories that are not. We've also seen vampire stories that don't follow this lead very well (ex: Let the Right One In) where vampires are not rape metaphors, but the creators made sure to use them to a different purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by MercSet View Post
        nothing you have said has refuted the metaphor. Therefore the metaphor still stands
        What? You aren't addressing what I'm saying and still haven't really made the point. Dubious consent, penetration, and swapping body fluids do not inherently make a metaphor for rape. Anymore than giving a blood transfusion to someone unconscious and bleeding out might be comparable. Those elements alone don't inherently support it being the metaphor you want it to be. Sexuality in feeding can or cannot be present. It isn't necessarily there.

Comment

Originally posted by Monalfie View Post
          Dubious consent, penetration, and swapping body fluids do not inherently make a metaphor for rape.
          Yeah, but looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, you start to think duck. Even if you haven't definitively ruled out a goose, at some point it starts to look an awful lot like a rape-duck.

I will point out that you're leaving out a key factor; the intense sexual pleasure that the vampire and the mortal both feel (excluding those on whom the Giovanni feed).

I seem to have acquired a site for running play by post games. This is unexpected and frightening and come watch either the glorious play or the magnificent train wreck:

The Malkavian Madness Network

Comment

Monalfie

You really don't seem to be honestly engaging in the concept of a metaphor here. You seem to be doing the same thing that plagued the initial discussion in this thread. The original question of "Is the Beast a metaphor for unhealthy lust," was met with discussions of how the Beast doesn't care about sex. That's not discussing the idea of the metaphor. That's answering the different question of, "Does the Beast engage in lust."

The fact that VtM vampires can feed in fashions that are not mechanically sexual is not relevant to the metaphor of vamprism as rape.

Comment

Perhaps I'm overthinking it too much. I hadn't seen your other above post before, Heavy Arms. And that seems rather concise.

Comment

Working...
              X