Homebrew Bloodline: The Golem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Laughing Stranger View Post
    There are some juicy ideas here. I love the blessed mud idea, it ties in well with the original feel of the Golem and highlights them being a unique Tzimisce bloodline.

I don't know about the failure thing, though. 'The Holocaust happened and the Golem didn't stop it' seems like a limited read of the situation. Maybe a lot of them were destroyed- many Synagogues were targets of burning during Kristallnacht, and in the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising the entire Jewish quarter was put to the torch. Hard for protector vampires to prevent or survive something like that. However, I think it is more interesting if the Golem were a bit more proactive during this time. For example, there were concentration camps that the Germans dismantled and hid towards the end of the war. Rather than doing this to hide evidence from encroaching Allied forces, it was done to hide the terrible destruction wrought by vengeful Golem.

It is even possible that the surviving Golem 'saved' Jews by turning them or ghouling them. A creature like a Golem vampire might struggle to save starving internment camp victims, and out of desperation may resort to drastic measures.
    Glad to hear it! Personally, as I said, these immediately came off as 'Tzimisce gargoyles' to me. And to me, I've always found the inherent appearance of gargoyles played a lot into their story. So in that vein, I think having golems (traditionally a crafted being) sharing that somehow should be included. So I think with the blessed mud you have 1. A tie with land, ala Tzimisce, 2. A tie in with Jewish religion to a small degree, 3. A character who will more than likely be covered in mud every night, lending to the appearance of what is traditionally viewed as a golem.

And I'm sorry, I didn't want to make it sound like the Golems in this idea were at fault for the situation. Or even that they had the capability to prevent those mass killings. Merely that the devestating aftermath might be cause for a lot of sorrow and doubt for some. But I think you present a lot of good ideas as well. It isn't necessarily a narrative of hopelessness as there is certainly room, I would say, for stories of vengeance/victory for their people.

Comment

Originally posted by Monalfie View Post
      Glad to hear it! Personally, as I said, these immediately came off as 'Tzimisce gargoyles' to me. And to me, I've always found the inherent appearance of gargoyles played a lot into their story. So in that vein, I think having golems (traditionally a crafted being) sharing that somehow should be included. So I think with the blessed mud you have 1. A tie with land, ala Tzimisce, 2. A tie in with Jewish religion to a small degree, 3. A character who will more than likely be covered in mud every night, lending to the appearance of what is traditionally viewed as a golem.

And I'm sorry, I didn't want to make it sound like the Golems in this idea were at fault for the situation. Or even that they had the capability to prevent those mass killings. Merely that the devestating aftermath might be cause for a lot of sorrow and doubt for some. But I think you present a lot of good ideas as well. It isn't necessarily a narrative of hopelessness as there is certainly room, I would say, for stories of vengeance/victory for their people.

I gotcha. No need to apologize, I didn't really get that perspective from your post; I sort of wanted to head off an annoying train of thought and take steps to present the Golem as active. If you introduce a 'protector' supernatural into a place in time that is so violent and horrendous, I can see some folks taking a knee-jerk response:

'lol Golems are useless, couldn't even stop the mechanized slaughter of 6 million Jews. Idiots.'

Maybe in the WoD the Golem did a lot, or at least revenged themselves terribly afterward.

And I fully support the idea of Kabbalah Gargoyles... er, I mean, Golem. This is a very unique conception of the Golem myth that fits pretty well within the WoD.

Comment

Originally posted by The Laughing Stranger View Post

I like the idea of the Golem's monstrousness treading the line between holiness and blasphemy. They are blessed by Rabbinical decree, but they are still cursed by God. The Hebrew word that describes man being made from dust in Genesis could be used to refer to materials like clay, earth, mud, ashes, dust, earth, ground, or even mortar. Given that the Golem typically eschew fleshcrafting, perhaps a Zulo form might take on a lot more mass via the holy mud it sleeps in, in essence the 'flesh' that they craft with is mud.

As written, Zulo form isn't pretty. The Golem not going to be pretty either, but the horror of their hulking, mud-covered bodies could be enhanced via their unnatural state. In this form, their foreheads are alight with the secret name of God, their false bodies cracked and leaking water and vitae, their passing marked with muddy footprints larger than any man's. Perhaps instead of increased brawling damage they could inflict something like Delirium in humans.

There are some juicy ideas here. I love the blessed mud idea, it ties in well with the original feel of the Golem and highlights them being a unique Tzimisce bloodline.
        I think someone must have, unfortunately, misread or misunderstood what my writeup describes. The Golem fleshcraft a lot. Vicissitude is their primary tool, in fact. I don't know where the idea that they were loathe to fleshcraft came from, but I've revised the writeup a bit to better elaborate what they use it for and how.

I'm not eschewing the concept of holy mud/mystical clay/etc, I'm just clearing up something very important.

Kabbalist gargoyles could be cool. These aren't them, though. This is a Jewish Tzimisce bloodline that happens to build on its source culture and has adopted a mythic protector of said culture as it's guiding theme and moral guide.
        Last edited by AzraelFirestorm; 02-03-2017, 07:16 PM.

(They/Them/Their) https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/borderland

Comment

I've done some digging and discovered something that a few of you might like: canon Golem in Vampire that conform to the classic mythology, such as being created by a Rabbi out of mud/clay!

If you're interested, check out Chapter Six of the Vampire: The Dark Ages Companion. They've got enough fluff and functional stats for most anything a Golem would do. Enjoy.

I'm still working on this bloodline, though. Because I'm crazy.

(They/Them/Their) https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/borderland

Comment

Working...
          X