Putting Chimerstry to creative uses ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting Chimerstry to creative uses ?

I find this discipline really interesting that it brings out the creativity in you, creating illusions(specially with Fatuus Mastery) that effect any of the five senses. but i was wondering, could you perhaps conceal an object to make it look like something else ? like make a gun appear like a pot of flowers, or make a person appear like someone else to onlookers ? or even cast an illusion on yourself to change your appearance ? let me know.

Turn a 1 dollar bill into a 100 dollars
    Turn a dollar store toy badge into a police badge
    fill a gas can with water, make it smell like gasoline and dump it on the guy you are interrogating and flick your zippo
    rapidly change the make and color of your getaway vehicle

Comment

This is just my take on it. The Discipline is somewhat vague and you need to look in additional books (Ravnos clanbooks and player's guides) to really get a handle on the limits of what it can do. This is one of those problematic Disciplines that were written badly. You can find at least a thread or 2 on here dedicated to "fixing" it.
      Originally posted by onedayumay View Post
      I find this discipline really interesting that it brings out the creativity in you, creating illusions(specially with Fatuus Mastery) that effect any of the five senses. but i was wondering, could you perhaps conceal an object to make it look like something else ?
      Not generally. Chimerstry doesn't normally allow for changing one object to look like another. You can put an illusion over something, thus covering it up. But you can't outright change the appearance of an object. That is my understanding of how it works, so with that in mind:
      like make a gun appear like a pot of flowers,
      If the pot of flowers would be larger than the gun, then it could cover it up easy enough. The tricky part comes in with how you are planning on handling it. If you were holding the gun normally, you might have to illusion your hand in a different spot in addition to covering the gun itself, otherwise your hand might end up inside of the image of the flower pot.
      or make a person appear like someone else to onlookers ?
      This one is really tricky. If you are doing it with the person's consent/knowledge, you could probably get them to stand still and illusion a larger person's body image over them. But that would interfere with the person's ability to see through said illusion from underneath it.
      or even cast an illusion on yourself to change your appearance ? let me know.
      Not really. You need to be able to perceive the illusions you cast (arguably aside from level 5 since that's more hallucination territory) so it would prove problematic to keep up. This is more in the field of Obfuscate. You should be able to come up with Elder powers for Chimerstry that produce similar effects though. This (imo) is just outside of the scope of the first 5 levels.

-I liked using Chimerstry for making hiding places. Run into an alley and toss up an illusion of a dumpster. Or Pillars in a building. Or squeeze up against a wall and put up an illusion of the wall being a foot further out than it actually is (hiding between the illusionary wall and the real one).
      -You can also threaten people with all sorts of illusionary weapons.
      -Illusionary Molotovs wont burn, but will usually alarm an incoming Vampire momentarily and give you a chance to get away.
      -For rat_bastard's examples of the dollar and the badge, I see no reason to try and cover up the initial object, when you can just make money or a badge from scratch.
      -One time when I was cornered by another player, I had their Elder show up and tell them they needed the player to come with them and that it was more important than whatever was going on with my character. The player was pretty annoyed when they found out the Elder wasn't real.
      -As long as you don't mind not seeing, you can generally blackout a room with illusionary darkness.
      -Chimerstry appears on cameras so have fun with framing people being places they never were.

A lot of these examples take Chimerstry 3 since they wouldn't be convincing if they can't move around.

Also, in earlier editions Heightened Senses helped a lot for making illusions that would fool other beings with enhanced senses (Auspex users, Werewolves and animals off the top of my head) because if you didn't know what something should smell like to those senses, you couldn't really make a convincing illusion of it. It might take that person/animal some time to figure out what exactly was off, but they generally had some idea something was wrong immediately.
      Last edited by idpersona; 02-08-2017, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by idpersona View Post
        -For rat_bastard's examples of the dollar and the badge, I see no reason to try and cover up the initial object, when you can just make money or a badge from scratch.
        I was specifically going with chimestry 1 examples, as starting at the beginning is ideal for getting the creative juices flowing.
        Last edited by rat_bastard; 02-09-2017, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rat_bastard View Post
          I was specifically going with chimestry 1 examples, as starting at the beginning is ideal for getting the creative juices flowing.
          Fair enough. By no means was I trying to say those examples were incorrect (and sorry if it read that way).

Comment

If you have higher levels creating a warehouse rave when your being followed by masquerade conscious vampires is a great way to flip the script on them.

Comment

I find this discipline really interesting that it brings out the creativity in you, creating illusions(specially with Fatuus Mastery) that effect any of the five senses. but i was wondering, could you perhaps conceal an object to make it look like something else ? like make a gun appear like a pot of flowers, or make a person appear like someone else to onlookers ? or even cast an illusion on yourself to change your appearance ? let me know.
              Making an object look (and potentially even feel) like something else is a great way to use the power, in fact I'd say it's the best way or at least one of the best ways to use the Chimerstry. As long as you keep your illusions reasonable people probably won't even question your illusions.

One of my favorites is to make a grenade (or any other small explosive device) look like a can of soda. I mean, if you tossed a can of Coke at someone, they're not going to try to duck and take cover - they'll probably just let it roll around at their feet or maybe even catch it in their hands (oops!)

Even better, after you've used this trick once or twice and people start getting wise to you, then you can just grab a rock or a paperweight and make it look like a can of Coke and everyone will duck and cover because they think it's really a grenade. Or you can just toss an actual grenade and people won't have any clue if it's a real grenade or if you're trying to fake them out by making a can of Coke look like a grenade (is that a real grenade he's holding? Or does he just want me to think it's a grenade so I duck and he can escape? In that case I could safely ignore it. But then maybe it is a real grenade and he's trying to trick me into thinking it's not so I get blown up...)

In fact, the more people start catching onto your use of illusions, the more intricate your mind games with people can start to get to a point where even when you're not using illusions many people will just assume you are, or at least could be, and that confusion means they'll be twice as careful and waste time overthinking when trying to engage with you.

As someone who has played a lot of characters with Chimerstry and run a bunch of games for people with Chimerstry, the most important thing is to hammer out ground rules with the ST before you start playing. "Would this be okay? What about this?" If you come up with some new idea, talk it over with the ST before the game or at least before you try it. At the end of the day, your ST is the one who is going to be deciding on what is okay and what isn't okay for various illusions and trying to suddenly spring some game-changing illusion trick on him in the middle of a game is a great way to get him to say, "Nope."

Comment

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
                As someone who has played a lot of characters with Chimerstry and run a bunch of games for people with Chimerstry, the most important thing is to hammer out ground rules with the ST before you start playing. "Would this be okay? What about this?" If you come up with some new idea, talk it over with the ST before the game or at least before you try it. At the end of the day, your ST is the one who is going to be deciding on what is okay and what isn't okay for various illusions and trying to suddenly spring some game-changing illusion trick on him in the middle of a game is a great way to get him to say, "Nope."
                This. This right here is good advice.

Comment

Someone I once knew was the Keeper of Elysium at a Camarilla game and was forced to use Chimerstry to "stake" a trio of Fish-Malks who insisted on wandering around lock-armed, getting in every one's way and saying "We are a hedge!"
                  Not sure that counts as "creative", but it always struck me as useful.

Comment

A clever Ravnos that wants to manipulate a Kine of prestige and influence could use it to create the "ghost" of his late wife. Combine that with some ventriloquism, you have a nice little puppet that follows the advice of his wife which is really yours.

See my splat, Angel: The Revelation (With a MUCH better link): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...qUnP1fcl-0/pub

Comment

So some basic ideas that Chimestry can be used for. 1. Giving incorrect directions through a person's GPS. 2. A maze of corners. The individual thinks they're getting away but in reality they are running in circles as your Chimestry hides obvious escape routed through illusionary walls, buildings and obstacles. A little Vitae heavy as each corner would require its own illusion. 3. Will O' The Wisp except the far distant light is a beautiful woman or handsome man beckoning the mark into the dark alley. 4. Driving someone mad. Whenever the individual is alone they hear voices and see visions. Conjuring. Masking the use of Chimestry through the feigning of parlour tricks. 5. Creating an opulent room within a dump. 6. Creating a False Identity for dealing with mortals, Camarilla or Sabbat allowing the Ravnos to remain safely incognito. Your enemies never ever met the real you. It was always an illusion.

Here's one that will need your ST's approval as it bends the rules a little. Elder level Obfuscate Conceal to hide a solid obstacle such as a house or wall at a dead end or corner. Chimestry to create the appearance the street continues straight on. High speed chase. Fatal crash. Dead mortal or severely injured enemy. This might work better as a Discipline Combo. Again up to each individual ST.

Does Chimerstry (for Revised and/or V20) allow itself to be filmed or appear on Camera? This is something that should probably be clarified with an ST prior to use. If Chimerstry is Camera friendly it certainly opens up possibilities. More importantly, is it technology friendly? There are more kinds of sensors than Cameras and Video Recorders.

Oh how about making a Nosferatu Uglier. When you cure them they'll owe you and be over joyed at being only half as ugly. Wait, sorry. Only a Malkavian would be that crazy to piss of a Nosferatu by messing with their looks. .

Comment

Waiting for a bunch of vampires, preferably elders, to board an elevator, then using it to create the illusion of a truly god-awful, paint-peeling, lingering rank-ass farts for the record books. One of those you don't so much smell, as experience with the entire panoply of sensation as the fart works its way into your mouth and stimulates your sense of taste, and as you take it in you can't help but imagine your skin being enveloped in warm, moist stank. The kind that, no matter how much you hold your breath or clamp your mouth and nose, it gets in there anyways, penetrating straight through your futile attempts to block its immutable awfulness.

Then just sit back and watch as they get confused as fuck trying to figure out what the fuck just happened, who cut the cheese that goddamn bad, and how the ever-living fuck can a vampire fart. Then panic as they run through their mental checklists of what disciplines they know can do what, and that no matter what it is, it can't be good and it must be targeting them.

Bonus points if you can trick them somehow into raising heighten senses (smell) and/or (taste) first.

Or, even funnier, if no other vampire in the city knows you know Chimerstry, use it to make the Harpies sound like they're farting -- loudly -- in the middle of Elysium.
                        Last edited by Theodrim; 02-24-2017, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yaoi Huntress Earth View Post
                          A clever Ravnos that wants to manipulate a Kine of prestige and influence could use it to create the "ghost" of his late wife. Combine that with some ventriloquism, you have a nice little puppet that follows the advice of his wife which is really yours.
                          One must take care not to confront the Kine with a vision of his dead wife all at once. As far as most mortals are concerned, ghosts aren't real. If one seems to appear before a person, they're going to get to roll to Disbelieve in it, which may unravel the illusion.

The key to this plan, therefore, is to work up to full ghostly manifestation. Start by creating illusions of squeaky floorboards and footsteps, or the occasional feeling of a woman's hand on his skin. Make him smell her perfume everywhere, or her laugh on the wind. As it ramps up, have him spot her in the corner of his eye, and hear her calling out to him in the middle of the night, when he's just about to fall asleep. Take more mundane measures to sell the idea of a haunting, like rearranging his (or his wife's) personal possessions during the night. Crack open the wife's recipe books, and leave a full meal waiting for him in the morning. Make the guy start questioning his sanity. All the while, forcing him to think about her, over and over and over again.

Finally, you can make her appear before him as a phantom. Let them have their touching reunion. But make it clear that "wifey" has "unfinished business" that he needs to take care of for her. From there, you've got a pawn who will do anything for you. By the time your requests would start stretching credibility, the man has already gone too deep. Probably convinced himself to ignore any doubts, in order to justify all his effort to himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluecho View Post
                            One must take care not to confront the Kine with a vision of his dead wife all at once. As far as most mortals are concerned, ghosts aren't real. If one seems to appear before a person, they're going to get to roll to Disbelieve in it, which may unravel the illusion.

The key to this plan, therefore, is to work up to full ghostly manifestation. Start by creating illusions of squeaky floorboards and footsteps, or the occasional feeling of a woman's hand on his skin. Make him smell her perfume everywhere, or her laugh on the wind. As it ramps up, have him spot her in the corner of his eye, and hear her calling out to him in the middle of the night, when he's just about to fall asleep. Take more mundane measures to sell the idea of a haunting, like rearranging his (or his wife's) personal possessions during the night. Crack open the wife's recipe books, and leave a full meal waiting for him in the morning. Make the guy start questioning his sanity. All the while, forcing him to think about her, over and over and over again.

Finally, you can make her appear before him as a phantom. Let them have their touching reunion. But make it clear that "wifey" has "unfinished business" that he needs to take care of for her. From there, you've got a pawn who will do anything for you. By the time your requests would start stretching credibility, the man has already gone too deep. Probably convinced himself to ignore any doubts, in order to justify all his effort to himself.
                            All in all, a beautifully dick move by the Ravnos him/herself.

See my splat, Angel: The Revelation (With a MUCH better link): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...qUnP1fcl-0/pub

Comment

Working...
                            X