John Wick 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Wick 2

Just saw the sequel to the most Camarilla movie I've ever seen. They continued the ongoing themes of favor trading, sacred tradition and complex secret societies that made the first great while delightfully upping the stakes. Particular shout outs go to Ruby Rose's androgynous mute hitwoman and the continued excelence of the global staff of the continental.
    Last edited by rat_bastard; 02-10-2017, 06:16 PM.

The first one struck me as an excellent inspiration for Elysiums, especially what happens when one violates it.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
      The first one struck me as an excellent inspiration for Elysiums, especially what happens when one violates it.

This one has boons, and Nos with Mortal influence.

Comment

To me those coins always represented boons, the disc with the bloody thumbprints represents mutha fucking life boons. My only issue with the entire sequel was that John Wick's bounty was offered in mere cash instead of a huge amount of coins.
        Last edited by rat_bastard; 02-11-2017, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rat_bastard View Post
          To me those coins always represented boons, the disc with the bloody thumbprints represents mutha fucking life boons.
          Absolutely!

These movies feel like the WoD to me. There's a dark side that normal people don't know about but in which the characters all thrive. All of the characters are connected in some way and follow social rules that are unique to this dark side - mostly. Consequences are severe - unless you're powerful enough to ignore them. *Winston's little "I can't tell you about a certain helicopter.." moment*

‚ÄčI really like that the main character isn't an outsider. A lot of other films have a secret underworld - the audience usually has to learn about it with a 'new guy.' John Wick assumes that the audience can pick up on 'how things work' without having a cardboard mentor explain everything.

If you want more, there's a comic coming according to Polygon, but it's not out yet.

Also, if you're really into these films, The A.V. Club has a DVD contest/giveaway going on: Come Out of Retirement
          It's through a marketing company - so give them your details at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by rat_bastard View Post
            To me those coins always represented boons, the disc with the bloody thumbprints represents mutha fucking life boons. My only issue with the entire sequel was that John Wick's bounty was offered in mere cash instead of a huge amount of coins.

I should have said Life boon. I Still think fishburn's character's network is a perfect "Nos information network"

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

I should have said Life boon. I Still think fishburn's character's network is a perfect "Nos information network"
              Absolutely, many great examples of a few archetypes. I love the idea of a Kindred who's domain is arming the cities and thus has a team of gunsmiths, bladesmiths, ballistic tailors etc ghouled and ready to provide the latest in stylish munitions.

Comment

I clearly need to see the sequel. Of course, I still haven't seen Rogue One so I'm a bit behind on these things.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Wow. That scene in Rome with the mirror as it pans behind the person in front of it where John just appears, that's just like... the perfect obfuscate visual for me.

When one is accustomed to privilege, equality seems like oppression.

Comment

I really liked both of these movies, and I agree that they work really well as WOD. One of the characters in my game has been talking about hiring an assamite to whack a particularly troubling enemy and these two movies gave me SO many ideas on how to implement this kind of subculture among the Kindred. I'm thinking that among the Kindred, the non-Aassamite vampires would be in the same position as the "muggles" in the John Wick movies, as in they exist alongside them, but may not know the ins and outs of this particular community with its own strict etiquette.

Comment

Working...
                    X