Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens to dead vampires?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What happens to dead vampires?

    I know it may seem stupid, but I honestly couldn't find anything in v20 with just a quick look, I searched for a bit and checked the pages listed under final death in the appendix and it didn't say.

    Specifically, once incapacitated, a vampire can take one lethal damage and only enter torpor but if said vampire takes even one aggravated damage, it dies.

    Does the corpse turn to ashes? Does it rot? There's something about vampires rotting if there ten years old or more in the diablerie section I believe but that's it.

    Anybody got anything on this, I could really use a hand.

  • #2
    I'm not sure where I got this, but I've always assumed that, absent some horrendous unlife-ending trauma like being burnt to ash or melted into goo or having your soul sucked out, a vampire's body rapidly ages to the point where it would be if they had died and never been a vampire. Young vampires would look like withered corpses, ancilla would be desiccated mummies, while elders would disintegrate into dust and leave only a skeleton behind. If you want to be cinemeatic about it, they could all get ashed instantly like in Buffy or explode into gore in True Blood.


    When one is accustomed to privilege, equality seems like oppression.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by TidyGamer View Post
      I'm not sure where I got this, but I've always assumed that, absent some horrendous unlife-ending trauma like being burnt to ash or melted into goo or having your soul sucked out, a vampire's body rapidly ages to the point where it would be if they had died and never been a vampire. Young vampires would look like withered corpses, ancilla would be desiccated mummies, while elders would disintegrate into dust and leave only a skeleton behind. If you want to be cinemeatic about it, they could all get ashed instantly like in Buffy or explode into gore in True Blood.
      What about the newly embraced? Do they just die like normal people and leave behind a regular corpse?

      Comment


      • #4
        assuming you're going with the "you look like how you would look like if you died when you were embraced but never became a vampire" model, yeah. Someone shoots a 3 night old neonate enough to kill them and the corpse is gonna look like someone took a 72 hour old corpse and shot it a bunch of times to any layperson. Run that product past a medical examiner and they'll largely see the same thing, but there probably are little bits of weirdness that they, as professional medical people types, would be able to notice. They won't all add up to "yeah it's another vampire guys", especially since that's a quick way to be fired if you put it in an official report, but they'll be weird enough that it's noticeable.


        When one is accustomed to privilege, equality seems like oppression.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by TidyGamer View Post
          assuming you're going with the "you look like how you would look like if you died when you were embraced but never became a vampire" model, yeah. Someone shoots a 3 night old neonate enough to kill them and the corpse is gonna look like someone took a 72 hour old corpse and shot it a bunch of times to any layperson. Run that product past a medical examiner and they'll largely see the same thing, but there probably are little bits of weirdness that they, as professional medical people types, would be able to notice. They won't all add up to "yeah it's another vampire guys", especially since that's a quick way to be fired if you put it in an official report, but they'll be weird enough that it's noticeable.
          I think I'll go with "vampires leave a corpse and it quickly deteriorates to the point which it would be it if the kindred had died at the time of embrace,"

          In other words, a kindred who has been a vampire for ten years turns into the equivalent of a decade old corpse in a matter of seconds or minutes after being killed.

          Comment


          • #6
            What happens to a vampire's corpse after final death depends on the writer. In Time of Thin Blood Netchurch notes that a freshly sired vampire turns to ash just a quickly as an ancient vampire, that is very quickly.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Fadier View Post
              What happens to a vampire's corpse after final death depends on the writer. In Time of Thin Blood Netchurch notes that a freshly sired vampire turns to ash just a quickly as an ancient vampire, that is very quickly.
              Any chance you can give me a page number for that? I'm just curious is all.

              Comment


              • #8
                Well, there are some exceptions to 'turning to ash'. Trophies (decapitated heads or other lost body parts) seem to stick around because they were removed while the vampire still existed.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I am very sure that vampires who are killed immediately turn to ashes - thats stated in soem books and we see that in the official video games, their tissue turns to ash immediately their skeletons either remain oder burn to black ashes quickly.

                  The part of "aging if you never had been..." applies to gouhls. Gouhls that are killed or burned all their vampiric blood age in seconds to the real age they have which is disturbing for gouhls under age 70, deadly after that and may rot to corpses of cvertain decay or skeletons or for very old gouhls may turn to dust.

                  However that applies only to the body of the vampire. The soul and spirit survive and turn into a wraith. And with a very immense power they may actually be resurrected like that Gates of Heaven power from Obeah, or toying with reality through superpowerfull chimestry and with viscissitude they may actually reconstruct their bodies from their ashes and resurrect themselves though that process is said to take centuries. Im not sure if there is a power of necromancy that can resurrect a dead vampire but it may work somehow. And in case of death by diablery the spirit of the diablerised vampire may posess the spirit of the diablerist and take control over his body

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Zennis View Post

                    Any chance you can give me a page number for that? I'm just curious is all.
                    Tis on page 27 (halfway through the section 'Undead or Unalive?') where Netchurch is talking about the flaw in his suspending death hypothesis.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Yeah, everything just leads me to believe that there's no official declaration about what happens to the remains when a vampire dies, just whatever the writer du jour decided was cool in the moment (though that's hardly unique in the history of the game's writing). Go with whatever is best suited to the individual game in question.


                      When one is accustomed to privilege, equality seems like oppression.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by TidyGamer View Post
                        Yeah, everything just leads me to believe that there's no official declaration about what happens to the remains when a vampire dies, just whatever the writer du jour decided was cool in the moment (though that's hardly unique in the history of the game's writing). Go with whatever is best suited to the individual game in question.
                        Sounds like that's about the long and the short of it. Now I'll have to decide which way to take it. Rapid decomposition as if the person had been dead for the length of time which they've been undead for seems like a good middle ground, there's references to vampire bodies being used as trophies and vampire heads being put on spikes so I think this will be a good middle ground.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Even f vampire bodies did turn to ash immediately after their death, perhaps ruling that "if the vampire was staked and then their head was severed while the vampire was in the stake induced stasis/torpor, the head will not simply ash immediately and will perhaps rot like a normal human head that was recently removed."

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            It would be an interesting effect if decapitation left you with a vampire head and a pile of ash that was the vampire body.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post
                              It would be an interesting effect if decapitation left you with a vampire head and a pile of ash that was the vampire body.
                              That's what I was thinking!

                              What happens to a vampire who's been beheaded? If they took eight damage in the beheading and failed to soak, then they're dead and in torpor, does this mean they can spend blood to heal? Do they regrow a new body? Does their head fly back on to their neck?

                              What the hell happens when a vampire is beheaded?

                              If I take a normal vampire without fortitude and I lay him down on the guillotine, the blade falls and off goes his head, if the guillotine only does seven damage does the guy live? If so, can he heal?

                              I'm going to post this in a new thread to see what advice people can offer me on this.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X