Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens to a vampire who's been beheaded?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kammerer View Post
    There can be a number of reasons. You may need to count time until the cavalry arrives and saves the vampire. Vampire may heal on his turns, which would further delay the execution. A vampire with good stamina and fortitude can also just be immune to being beheaded, especially if the executioner is weak and unlucky.
    Since we are talking only a few turns to accumulate the damage, you likely aren't going to have time for a rescue. Perhaps if they have some sort of allies at the scene before the first blow is raised and then could maybe stop them before the head is completely severed, but if they are even in a different room it's likely too late by that point.

I'm not sure a torpid vampire heals; I believe healing requires a deliberate act on the vampire's part. For either healing or the case of Fortitude though I'd just say they were delaying the inevitable, and repeated rolls risk grinding the tone down into low comedy in the name of meaningless use of the game engine.

Comment

I agree. Kindred are vulnerable to decapitation.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfgar View Post

Since we are talking only a few turns to accumulate the damage, you likely aren't going to have time for a rescue. Perhaps if they have some sort of allies at the scene before the first blow is raised and then could maybe stop them before the head is completely severed, but if they are even in a different room it's likely too late by that point.

I'm not sure a torpid vampire heals; I believe healing requires a deliberate act on the vampire's part. For either healing or the case of Fortitude though I'd just say they were delaying the inevitable, and repeated rolls risk grinding the tone down into low comedy in the name of meaningless use of the game engine.
        You've got a good point.

Just remember that a vampire who is incapacitated CAN heal damage (one point of bashing or lethal per blood and as many points per turn as the vampire can spend blood for) and that one who is in torpor CAN NOT.

Also, Kammerer does have a good point, in my last session, the players went into battle against another vampire whom they ambushed, said vampire had friends not far behind him. The players managed to beat this person to incapacitated quite easily but found themselves in a struggle with the allies of said vampire immediately after, one player stayed out of the battle to finish the off the victim, in order to do so, he had to hack away at this vampire until it died.

Now you obviously know that a cinematic battle is more to the players liking (and the Storyteller's) than a battle filled with numbers and rulings. That being said, vampires are SUPPOSED to be hard to kill so I can see the reason why these rules MIGHT have a use.

It's all relative though.

Comment

Once you get into the realm of Gargoyles with the combo of Fortitude & Visceratika or Gangrel elders with Flesh of Marble, it really does become possible for opponents to waste lots of time hacking away with machetes or fire axes to very little effect.

Comment

I'd rule that it's possible for vampires to survive decapitation if they have the ability to assume a form that lacks a head, like for example turning into shadow with obtenebration, mist with protean or blood with vicissitude.

Comment

I would not rule that way because they only gain that benefit when they actively use those powers.

Comment

To each their own, I just feel like it would fit if a vampire that just had their head cut off could melt into a pool of blood and survive.

Comment

Working...
                X