Sell me on (non-Obliv) Necromancy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4uk4ata View Post
    By the way, can someone who has tried it sell/unsell me on necromancy in Dark Ages V20? Cappadocians used to be my favourite clan back in earlier editions, but on a first look their paths and rituals became notably more specialized and less handy overall. What can and cannot you do with it nowadays?
    Cappadocians are plenty powerful! Bone Path is more powerful in DAV20, allowing for serious troupes of powerful Corpses. Grave's Decay is a very effective way to nerf mortals and Cainites alike, and Corpse in the Monster is a great way to strengthen/weaken the Curse. With a Memento De Muerte and mastery of Bone, Grave's and Corpse you are a very potent and dangerous Blood Mage. I would argue that Cappadocians rely more on their Auspex and Fortitude than the Giovanni do on their Potence and Dominate. The Cappadocians fell for a reason; their death magic was powerful, but it paled in comparison to control of ghosts and specters. Factor in their Antedeluvian trying to play the fall to their advantage, and the Lamia going full Dark Mother on those they guarded, and their fall becomes guaranteed.

I'd personally say that the Mortus Paths don't match up with the Modern Necromantic paths, but the Mortus Paths are MUCH more powerful without preparation and without planning. You can freeze people in place at level 2 (Rigor Mortis) and if you are speced into that build (Medicine and Occult are the only stats used) then you're golden.

Comment

The Cappadocian Paths are more focused on physical existence, so they're easier to use in play. They're also more direct and combat capable. A Cappadocian necromancer can curse and blight enemies into dust. Their Rituals can pack quite a punch, too.

I'm a professor! Why is no one listening to me?!

Comment

Do they still have the one that lets you feed off a corpse? This was a pretty handy one in the Dark Ages, and it is up to the DM if any cappadocians survived into the modern nights (though the Salubri seem to have done passably well against worse odds).

Strangely enough, I remember checking the Dark Ages book, and not seeing a lot of good abilities, such as the rituals. I am okay with other magical disciplines being less versative than thaumaturgy rituals,but it struck me as too limited.
        Last edited by 4uk4ata; 03-07-2017, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 4uk4ata View Post
          Do they still have the one that lets you feed off a corpse? This was a pretty handy one in the Dark Ages, and it is up to the DM if any cappadocians survived into the modern nights (though the Salubri seem to have done passably well against worse odds).

Strangely enough, I remember checking the Dark Ages book, and not seeing a lot of good abilities, such as the rituals. I am okay with other magical disciplines being less versative than thaumaturgy rituals,but it struck me as too limited.
          - Cannibal is a merit that anyone can have if they can justify it really, primarily Giovanni but also Cappadocians. Corpses are worth 1 BP per health level. Nagaraja get a better deal; corpses are worth 10 BP to them, so a dead human is 20 BP to a Nagaraja, which is arguably an upside if you're not worried about killing people (and yes, you should be obviously, but the weakness can help).

- Sometimes Vampire powers seem kind of average at first glance, but a VERY careful reading will help you realise how potent they are.
          Last edited by 11twiggins; 03-07-2017, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Telgar View Post
            The Cappadocian Paths are more focused on physical existence, so they're easier to use in play. They're also more direct and combat capable. A Cappadocian necromancer can curse and blight enemies into dust. Their Rituals can pack quite a punch, too.
            They're pretty heavily Willpower starved though.

Comment

Okay, thanks for the tip.I had an old Cappadocian knight vacillating between Humanity and Heaven with a bit of a hero complex, so I was curious just what he would be able to do if I bring him back. He had some mortis knowledge and an interest in healing, death, occult and the dead.

Comment

I'd recommend to have a look at the Death Rituals in the player guide to the High Clans too, some of them are quite interesting & haven't been reprinted in V20 / DA V20

They actually had a nice punch & fluff to Necromancy rituals which are kinda lacking otherwise (with rituals either having really niche effect or being redundant between themselves & some paths level)

Comment

Not quite related, but as we are speaking of necromancy, thought of bringing this and some other stuff of potential interest for antropologically/historic-minded 'brewers.

Comment

Working...
                  X