No announcement yet.

Question on "Mundane/Physical" vs "Supernatural" attacks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a better way to posit my initial position is that the claw is mundane, even if the damage that claw can cause is aggravated.
    ​Anything else breaks suspension of disbelief too hard, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Schwann145 View Post
      I think a better way to posit my initial position is that the claw is mundane, even if the damage that claw can cause is aggravated.
      ​Anything else breaks suspension of disbelief too hard, IMO.
      Well the power is badly written. That's the main source of the problem with it. As written, magic bullets can kill the Vampire. I could make the argument that Werewolf claws can and do work, since Werewolves themselves are magical beings. If they can claw a spirit made of air to death there is no reason they can't do the same to a vampire made of mist.

But again, that comes off as kind of silly. There was a thread a while back that went for some length comparing Protean 5 to Obten 5 (and then eventually to Vicissitude 5). Tenebrous Form is 100% better than Mist form because they use different wording. It's an easy enough fix, but at that point you just have to make sure to state that you're house ruling it, or people on the forums get up in arms.

Found the thread. It starts here (only including this for completeness). The conversation goes off topic for about 7 pages of people arguing, but the balance discussion comes up again around this post. From there it's only about a page and a half. Could be useful for reading as it relates to the discussion above.
      Last edited by idpersona; 02-17-2017, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post

For starters, because in their own core rules book (W20 p. 439) fomori that can take on viscous form are immune to claw attacks. I'm going to go out on a limb and surmise that if werewolves can't physically harm something as substantial as a blob of thick ooze, waving their claws through fog isn't going to be all that effective.
        As Kammerer said, that's not very compelling. Blood Form from Vicissitude only states "A vampire entirely in this form may not be staked, cut, bludgeoned, or pierced, but can be burned or exposed to the sun." So a Werewolf probably can't claw that, supernatural or not. Not all powers work the same. A Body of Mist Cainite isn't necessarily in the same state as say a viscous Fomori or Blood Form Tzimisce.

Comment

I agree. The utility of Body of Mist over Blood Form is you can fly and you cannot be drunk. While a Garou cannot claw a Kindred to death in Blood Form, they can drink them to death (V20, p. 242). Heck, a class of Kindergartens with straws could drink a Kindred to death who was in Blood Form.

Comment

I can totally See a vampire biting at another Vampire in Mist Form for aggravated damage

Yelp it looks silly but whatever works

Comment

Working...
            X