Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a mechanical purpose for Demeanor?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a mechanical purpose for Demeanor?

I totally understand Nature - it's what makes up the core of who your character is; what's left when you strip everything else away. Mechanically, it's what you can fall back on to regain Willpower.

​I was under the impression that Demeanor was just a "fake" Nature - a layer, or mask, that thing you express to the outside world that may be true, may be false, or may just be true in the moment, and can change on a whim. Essentially, a flavor tool with no mechanics.

​But then I was looking at Akhu and the Revelations of Eden path and noticed that at 4 Dots you can force someone's Demeanor to change, leading me to believe maybe I've been wrong about Demeanor and it actually does serve some sort of mechanical purpose? If Demeanor is something you choose arbitrarily, then what is the point of that 4-dot RoE ability?

Clarification appreciated!

Demeanor has the same mechanical impact as the Nature. You don't choose it arbitrarily and it's not fake, it's just the way you interact with the world normally. It's your exterior.

I was wrong.
    Last edited by Kammerer; 02-14-2017, 09:10 PM.

Comment

The description on pg 84 of the V20 core book seems to say otherwise, hence my confusion.

Comment

Demeanour is pure flavour and has no mechanical effect on anything anywhere in the system, so far as i can tell. Revelations of Eden 4 is only as useful as your ST is willing to roleplay the change in how the target interacts with the world. Even then, most characters have multiple Demeanours that could apply to them, so there may very well be no noticeable change at all.
        Last edited by Lys; 02-14-2017, 07:30 PM.

Comment

I've always ran it as "Nature is how you interact with the world; Demeanor is how the world interacts with you." Basically as a shorthand of how NPC's are going to view and react to the player characters.

Cheers!

If you don't use an Oxford comma, I feel bad for you, son,
          'Cuz I got ninety-nine problems, but clarity ain't one.

Comment

The merit introspection gives you +2 die to perception rolls against someone with the same Nature or Demeanor as you. Its pretty useless as I doubt STs come up with NPC Demeanor (or even Nature).

Otherwise Demeanor has no mechanical use that I know of and is at best pointless.

Comment

Nature is who you are, or at least your predominate "self", Demeanor is your reflexive way to interact with the world.

Comment

Can your Nature and Demeanor be the same?

Comment

Originally posted by Zanos View Post
                  Can your Nature and Demeanor be the same?
                  Yes, indeed they can.

I'm a professor! Why is no one listening to me?!

Comment

This isn't RAW, but it's a helpful house rule mechanic I've borrowed from a Storyteller I respect greatly:

In the same way that performing actions according to one's Nature grants Willpower, behaving Socially in accordance with your Demeanor grants Willpower as well. Now Demeanor has a purpose for role-playing and mechanical benefits!
                    Think of it as the energy one might feel after "pulling a fast one" or getting away with something.

(They/Them/Their) https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/borderland

Comment

It was the case in earlier versions you could gain Willpower by acting in accordance with your Demeanor, just as achieving goals in accordance with your Nature still does. Not any more. Nowadays it's more of a role-playing aid than anything else -- if a player is at a temporary loss as to how their character might react to a given event, they can give their archetypes, Path, and Willpower a quick glance-over to see if it helps. For a lot of us who've been playing years if not decades it's no thing, but I have the rediscovered perspective of having someone who was entirely new to Vampire, and White Wolf games in general, at my table, and for them it does help especially if they're acclimatized to alignment-based mechanics from other games (as this player is).

Comment

Originally posted by AzraelFirestorm View Post
                        This isn't RAW, but it's a helpful house rule mechanic I've borrowed from a Storyteller I respect greatly:

In the same way that performing actions according to one's Nature grants Willpower, behaving Socially in accordance with your Demeanor grants Willpower as well. Now Demeanor has a purpose for role-playing and mechanical benefits!
                        Think of it as the energy one might feel after "pulling a fast one" or getting away with something.
                        This is also a common house rule I'm familiar with and use often.

Comment

Working...
                        X