Burning Blade Official Interpretation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning Blade Official Interpretation

Hi, in my group we have a doubt about how to interpret the ritual Burning Blade.
    If I have a character with strength 3 that uses a sword with the ritual (+4 damage) the final damage is 7 aggravated or 4 aggravated (just the weapon damage) and 3 lethal (strength)?

Burning Blade (Ritual 2)
    Developed during Clan Tremere's troubled inception, Burning Blade allows a thaumaturge to temporarily enchant a melee weapon to inflict unhealable wounds on supernatural creatures. While this ritual is in effect, the weapon flickers with an unholy greenish flame.
    System
    This ritual can only be cast on melee weapons. The caster must cut the palm of her weapon hand during the ritual - with the weapon if it is edged, otherwise a sharp stone. This inflicts a single health level of lethal damage which cannot be soaked but may be healed normally. The player spends three blood points which are absorbed by the weapon. Once the ritual is cast, the weapon inflicts aggravated damage on all supernatural creatures for the next few successful attacks, one per success rolled. Multiple castings of Burning Blade cannot be "stacked" for longer durations. Furthermore, the wielder of the weapon cannot choose to do normal damage and "save up" aggravated strikes - each successful attack uses one aggravated strike until there are none left, at which point the weapon reverts to inflicting normal damage.

Thanks in advance

English is not my native language, so i apologize in advance for any error.

My opinion isn't anything "official", but I would convert the entirety of the damage dealt by the attack to aggravated, not just the "base" damage of the weapon. Dealing aggravated damage with melee is within the realm of a 2nd level power, check Protean 2.

Personally I think Aggravated damage is much too easy to access and powers like Protean 2 and this ritual make killing vampires in a single attack stupidly easy. Even Balefire only does 5 levels of aggravated damage at it's maximum intensity. YMMV.
    Last edited by Zanos; 02-17-2017, 09:04 PM.

Comment

It's the same as any other weapon capable of dealing aggravated wounds: a burning torch, cold iron or silver weapon, weapon that's been coated with Baal's Caress, all the way up to blades of the forbidden flower or weapons made by forger's hammer: it's all aggravated.

The only time damage types are mixed and matched within the same attack, are with fairly obscure, but obvious when they come up, discipline uses. When it happens, each damaging component is resolved separately. For instance, a Levinbolt discharge through a melee action.

Personally I think Aggravated damage is much too easy to access and powers like Protean 2 and this ritual make killing vampires in a single attack stupidly easy. Even Balefire only does 5 levels of aggravated damage at it's maximum intensity. YMMV.
      It's not so much that, as the overwhelming synergy between Potence, Celerity, and high dice pools allowing for massive overage. And to a lesser extent, Obfuscate and the ability to ambush with the same end result overage-wise even with smaller dice pools...but Obfuscate is easier to thwart. Under "more realistic" circumstances, like for example a Gangrel with a 3 Strength and 7 dice pool (let's assume 3 Dex, 4 Brawl) taking a swipe, assuming zero Potence or Celerity as neither are Gangrel clan disciplines, you're only talking an average of 3-4 aggravated against a target that scores zero successes to dodge, or doesn't/can't dodge at all. And, that attack's all they're getting unless they're splitting dice pools, meaning they can't dodge themselves. That's way more manageable, and within the "Fortitude matters, a lot" range.
      Last edited by Theodrim; 02-18-2017, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Since the Damage Rating of a meele weapon is "Str+X" and not "+X" it is all aggravated damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Zanos View Post
          Semi-auto shotgun does 8 damage. Shoot vampire in the head with a decen dicepool and you'll probably put down most of them with a single shot.

Comment

Thanks for your answers. In our group we are discussing among ourselves on this thing for quite a while, with some who agree on your interpretation and others on the opposite one. We also had the chance to ask directly to Mark Rein-Hagen (who among other things wrote the original story of Tremere), and he directed to this forum since here are those who have written the vampire game system or that maybe here we would find someone who could show us an official source where there was an example. In this way we hoped to be able to get a definitive answer to this doubt and be able to play this ritual as had been intended.

English is not my native language, so i apologize in advance for any error.

Comment

Originally posted by Naemos View Post
              Thanks for your answers. In our group we are discussing among ourselves on this thing for quite a while, with some who agree on your interpretation and others on the opposite one. We also had the chance to ask directly to Mark Rein-Hagen (who among other things wrote the original story of Tremere), and he directed to this forum since here are those who have written the vampire game system or that maybe here we would find someone who could show us an official source where there was an example. In this way we hoped to be able to get a definitive answer to this doubt and be able to play this ritual as had been intended.

I tried this a few times LOL. Asking directly to the Gods, but all they do is "whatever works for ya, bro"! And that's it. But your answer is, it's S+PLUS aggravated damege, not just the +PLUS. Besides, most of the writers don't know the game they writing for better than the players. It's a fact.
              Last edited by Felipe Moulim; 02-18-2017, 07:01 PM.

Comment

The ruling I place at my table is that the burning blade does 1/4 fire damage (diff 6 to soak) automatically and 3/4 dice as lethal damage.

however the raw is that a sword so enchanted deal str+4 aggravated dice of damage.

Please also bear in mind that it takes 10 minutes of chanting and bleeding on the sword to enact the ritual, though it can be cast in advance and resheathed for later.

Comment

Working...
                X