Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The new WoD app games

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The new WoD app games

    That is, "V:tM We Eat Blood" and "MtA Refuge". Have anyone tried them yet? Are they worth your time and money? I'm curious to know.



  • #2
    http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...kness-preludes

    In short: they're mediocre at best and the Vampire one is written by a serial abuser that's led to controversy and boycotting of new White Wolf.


    Just call me Lex.

    Female pronouns for me, please.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by IgnyteZero View Post
      That is, "V:tM We Eat Blood" and "MtA Refuge". Have anyone tried them yet? Are they worth your time and money? I'm curious to know.
      V:tM is mediocre. It starts really well as the protagonist travels by bus across america and then the quality rapidly goes downhill. The game is very confusing and I still don't understand what half the stuff was about. It is also rather bad as interactive fiction. Most choices lead to your immediate death.
      M:tA is trash.
      Both games also feature some heavy-handed politicising. V:tM in particular has a transgendered vampire who hunts and kills Trump voters. M:tA features arab immigration into Sweden as a theme, but the author botched her roll and boiled it down to "Do you hate refugees: Y/N?"
      Last edited by Kammerer; 02-23-2017, 04:42 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        They're both average. I don't regret spending money on them(because I support White Wolf), but they're not what I'd call "good."


        PENTEX SUCKS.

        I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

        Comment


        • #5
          Without retreading too much or getting into various things:

          One the biggest issues with them, is that the three primary content creators have no apparent experience with digital interactive fiction. This inexperience is on top of any other factors, is probably a large contributor to the mediocre impression most reviews have expressed.

          Comment


          • #6
            Sounds like a let down. Nothing to prioritize until there's some sale then.


            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
              http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...kness-preludes

              In short: they're mediocre at best and the Vampire one is written by a serial abuser that's led to controversy and boycotting of new White Wolf.
              Why? That is horrible if the author is an abuser. But is White Wolf responsible for his (I just assume it's a he here for simplicitys sake. It's ok to call me prejudiced.) actions? Are they supporting his actions? Were they aware of his actions? I would reasonably doubt all those. So why the boycott?


              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by IgnyteZero View Post

                Why? That is horrible if the author is an abuser. But is White Wolf responsible for his (I just assume it's a he here for simplicitys sake. It's ok to call me prejudiced.) actions? Are they supporting his actions? Were they aware of his actions? I would reasonably doubt all those. So why the boycott?
                Because Zak Smith is a douche, has been a douche for a long time, and people don't really like him. He has also gone on record saying that AD&D was the only game worth writing for and that he's in it just for the money and doesn't care for modern games. While WW is not responsible for his past actions, they should certainly be aware of his standing in the RPG community when they hire him to produce one of the first nuWoD products.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Kammerer View Post
                  Because Zak Smith is a douche, has been a douche for a long time, and people don't really like him. He has also gone on record saying that AD&D was the only game worth writing for and that he's in it just for the money and doesn't care for modern games. While WW is not responsible for his past actions, they should certainly be aware of his standing in the RPG community when they hire him to produce one of the first nuWoD products.
                  Maybe they didn't screen him like they should (because I suspect nepotism)? I know that Martin likes to be progressive, so hiring a guy playing with Porn Stars might seem like a PR stunt to him. But I can assure you that Paradox, that owns WW and pays Martins salary, is a company that strives for equality and well... that rings bad with them knowing about his controversies, or at least taking them seriously. I really don't see either Paradox nor WW as entities that would want to make a stand for an abuser. Have the companies been asked for an official statement on the issue?


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by IgnyteZero View Post
                    Have the companies been asked for an official statement on the issue?
                    Paradox has not made a statement except to the extent that White Wolf is a legally distinct subsidiary over whose hiring decisions they exert no power. White Wolf acknowledged they were familiar with Zak's record when they hired him and effectively called the victims liars in the two blog posts preceding the latest, which is in no way satisfying or speaks of more than a superficial understanding of progressivism.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      IgnyteZero

                      Like.. seriously... there's two large threads in other parts of the forum about this around.

                      But to be brief, WW did screen him. They made a point of saying that they did in their blog post. They said that the allegations against him were false (consider that this includes at least three Onyx Path freelancers, and a fairly large list of TT game designers). Then when there was a big backlash they posted a very weak walk-back that has impressed nobody I can think of.

                      Sot yes, WW knew exactly who they were dealing with, and did it anyway, because they decided there was a calculated risk of controversy vs. backlash from the fans. But because they pretty much refuse to engage with the TT fanbase (they've gone out to LARPs, but they have zero presence here or on more general forums to communicate to the people that have been buying the WW IPs and proving them to be financially viable), they completely miscalculated.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
                        But because they pretty much refuse to engage with the TT fanbase (they've gone out to LARPs, but they have zero presence here or on more general forums to communicate to the people that have been buying the WW IPs and proving them to be financially viable), they completely miscalculated.
                        I'm not going to say their engagement strategy has been well executed, or well thought out, or even exist in the first place, but I will say as a LARPer its actually kind of nice to be treated with priority for once. I'm not going to claim the TT community isn't the core market or doesn't deserve their attention, but LARPing gets treated as an afterthought most of the time if its even acknowledged at all, so however awkward their interfacing as been I'm not going to call it all bad.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Caitiff Primogen View Post
                          I'm not going to say their engagement strategy has been well executed, or well thought out, or even exist in the first place, but I will say as a LARPer its actually kind of nice to be treated with priority for once. I'm not going to claim the TT community isn't the core market or doesn't deserve their attention, but LARPing gets treated as an afterthought most of the time if its even acknowledged at all, so however awkward their interfacing as been I'm not going to call it all bad.
                          Well said. I'm actually not a LARPer, but I could understand that.

                          Although it would be better if they'd interact more actively with all parts of the fanbase (since how approachable they are on big LARP events doesn't really matters to a T fan on the other end of the world). At this point I'm willing to write it off as lack of human resources and/or personal interest priorities. I hope it'll change in the not so distant future, for example when playtesting the V5 getting started.

                          LARP, especially high-enf LARPs like CoT might be more visible and marketable, but I think that the heart and soul of the game is the TT and I think that have the most fans, putting all together. So, the best would be an equal measure as interaction and attention goes.
                          Last edited by PMárk; 02-24-2017, 02:12 AM.


                          If nothing worked, then let's think!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The fact that their "Community" link on the WW website is still a dead link to the homepage is an additional problem. If they don't want to go other places to talk to fans on forums or similar platforms... why do they not have their own? Or unlock their Blog for comments?

                            LARP, TT, video gamer,... if they're going for a whole big transmedia thing, you'd think they'd want to bring all of us together as a community (also making it easier to make us all feel listened to/communicated with) with some of the most basic tools on the Internet.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Everything having to do with the upcoming edition has been the epitome of " 3edgy5me", in my opinion. It would not surprise me in the least if we found out that Zak was hired solely because of the sort of teenage douchebaggy anti-socially banal transgressiveness he maintains.


                              When one is accustomed to privilege, equality seems like oppression.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X