Children Of The Osiris Stories.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Children Of The Osiris Stories.

Hey guys, so i was watching True Blood. And there's this character Godric. Who's a really strong two thousand year's old vampire who many people fear. But he's actually a real pacifist, he doesn't even feel the need for drinking blood most of the time. And they i remembered there's an bloodline on Masquerade that's all about pacifist vampires, and i got interested. did you guys plays children of the osiris or other pacifist vampires trying to be good people in a world of cold violence?

My interpretation of them was a failed attempt at Golconda. They're the First Master someone on the path to enlightenment finds. Static. Dead. Isolationist. Oddly inhuman.

Just think about it. They have a power which allows you to regain Humanity. How low must their Conscience be? Pretty low. I present them as failed moralist creatures. They isolate themselves and by doing so they rid themselves of the pain of being Tried.

They reject Golconda's key tenet; coming to terms with the Embrace, realising that you are no longer human and that you have to move beyond, and merging your fractured soul, calming The Beast. They will never reach Golconda since they deny Vampirism and they pretend almost to be human. They make a grand show of humanity; they're like a more Puritan Camarilla. They eek out their nights avoiding human blood, avoiding human contact, avoiding any action that could affect their Humanity rating. And they're a sad, sad group of people who have lost so much. Take a look at the Brotherhood of Steel from Fallout 1. They're interesting, understandable, and they're Wrong.

Obviously my presentation of them is a mixture of canon and my own spin, but all STs do that. I will say that presenting them as oddly cultish is a good way to subvert expectations. I mean naturally they will stand against heresy; suggestions of merging with or understanding the Beast are dangerous, and such dangerous thoughts must be repressed for the good of all. And dogmatic and evil Cainites must be staked and left to the sun's mercy when possible. The Baali and Setites simply believe their doctrine without question! They isolate themselves from humans and make dark deals to hold onto higher Path ratings... I mean who could possibly allow all of that? ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by 11twiggins View Post
      My interpretation of them was a failed attempt at Golconda. They're the First Master someone on the path to enlightenment finds. Static. Dead. Isolationist. Oddly inhuman.

Just think about it. They have a power which allows you to regain Humanity. How low must their Conscience be? Pretty low. I present them as failed moralist creatures. They isolate themselves and by doing so they rid themselves of the pain of being Tried.

They reject Golconda's key tenet; coming to terms with the Embrace, realising that you are no longer human and that you have to move beyond, and merging your fractured soul, calming The Beast. They will never reach Golconda since they deny Vampirism and they pretend almost to be human. They make a grand show of humanity; they're like a more Puritan Camarilla. They eek out their nights avoiding human blood, avoiding human contact, avoiding any action that could affect their Humanity rating. And they're a sad, sad group of people who have lost so much. Take a look at the Brotherhood of Steel from Fallout 1. They're interesting, understandable, and they're Wrong.

Obviously my presentation of them is a mixture of canon and my own spin, but all STs do that. I will say that presenting them as oddly cultish is a good way to subvert expectations. I mean naturally they will stand against heresy; suggestions of merging with or understanding the Beast are dangerous, and such dangerous thoughts must be repressed for the good of all. And dogmatic and evil Cainites must be staked and left to the sun's mercy when possible. The Baali and Setites simply believe their doctrine without question! They isolate themselves from humans and make dark deals to hold onto higher Path ratings... I mean who could possibly allow all of that? ;-)
      Fascinating, I didn't know Golconda was about balance I thought it was like an vampiric nirvana. A higher state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
        Fascinating, I didn't know Golconda was about balance I thought it was like an vampiric nirvana. A higher state of being
        Oh it is, but that enlightenment comes (for Humanity and a few other Paths) when you accept that you died and you need to face reality.

The Chakras are a great example. The Throat Chakrah deals with truth, and is blocked by lies... The ones we tell ourselves.

"I can live life like a human"
        "I don't need blood"
        "The Beast is external"

Comment

I love the Children of Osiris and have used them in my games as NPC's. Of course, in my games, when a vampire achieves Golconda, they become human again.

Comment

Originally posted by Camilla View Post
            I love the Children of Osiris and have used them in my games as NPC's. Of course, in my games, when a vampire achieves Golconda, they become human again.
            What did they do as npcs?

Comment

Meditate? When Children of Osiris reach level 4 Bardo, they tend to be bound to their temples, and they do not leave except to hunt down Followers of Set and to drink from the blood of animals.

Comment

I typically think of them as well meaning, if flawed individuals. Almost a path in their misguided view of Humanity. As far as humane vampires in general, though, I've never much played one in general. Obviously playing Humanity 7+ in most games can be a rather tricky situation. Good way to get ashed without a protector or patron.

Comment

I never have had much problem playing characters with Humanity 7+. While you are discouraged from killing other entities, you can get rid of Kindred for centuries without killing them quite easily, and your blood bonded mortals and ghouls offer protection from many other threats. With the ubiquity of animal blood in US society and the fact that you can easily take small amounts of blood without harming mortals, there is little reason for feeding to cause harm to humans.

Of course, it also depends on the interpretation of Morality by your ST. If your ST decides that Kindred are inhuman monsters, they will put you in compromising situations every game session, and you will end up becoming an inhuman monster because you will lose one level of Humanity every game session. If your ST decides that Kindred are humans who are cursed through external agency, they will not screw you so hard during the game.

With the Children of Osiris, they are boring characters, and their only saving grace is Bardo (and really only the first level). Even the first level possesses questionable utility because of the fact that you have to sacrifice your entire blood pool after a few hours of meditation, meaning that you need an immediate supply of non-human blood available when you get done, successful or not, or else you will frenzy. Other than that, the Children of Osiris are too boring to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Monalfie View Post
                    I typically think of them as well meaning, if flawed individuals. Almost a path in their misguided view of Humanity. As far as humane vampires in general, though, I've never much played one in general. Obviously playing Humanity 7+ in most games can be a rather tricky situation. Good way to get ashed without a protector or patron.
                    That's the issue. In most games Humanity 7 or higher simply doesn't work since every organization of Vampires demands a degree of moral flexibility.

Comment

Originally posted by 11twiggins View Post

That's the issue. In most games Humanity 7 or higher simply doesn't work since every organization of Vampires demands a degree of moral flexibility.
                      It's one of things i admire the Children for. They made their own organization

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                        It's one of things i admire the Children for. They made their own organization
                        They're part of what I like about VtM over VtR, even if they were an early experiment in the gameline and got sort of swept under the rug later on...

I agree they're something that doesn't really belong in an edgier game, or would end up boring in an edgier game, but the presence of Kindred like the Children of Osiris are what give VtM its flexibility of tone. They offer the canon possibility - even if your chronicle is nowhere near them - of playing Kindred as something other than plain old monsters. They allow the potential for vampiric nature to be something other than straight inhumanity.

As for the original question, I myself have not played any Children of Osiris, but I do play a Humanity 8 Gangrel with the Humanitarianism flaw, some Prey Exclusion, and a Code of Honor. So far, being a naive and kind little neonate has earned her the friendship of a respected Nossie and a Ravnos, clan friendship with the Ravnos, and a relationship with a lonely elder Gangrel who happens to be a necromancer (the merit that lets you keep magic you had in life).

...So now, being a naive and kind little neonate, she tried to help a spirit in a cemetery on her own, accidentally got attached to it, and is now in the middle of the woods so her boyfriend can try to exorcise it without letting it attach to anyone else. Well, he fell into his necromancer trance just after the spirit called out to the Garou in the area. Guess who has to sit perfectly still and try to focus, without rousing her sitting-duck boyfriend, while the sounds of whoops, hollers, and growls draws ever closer?

Don't let anyone tell you playing a Humanity 7+ Kindred has to be boring.

Comment

Originally posted by Chesh View Post
                          That's fair, but I think Most Vampire games have what you could call "encounters" which don't allow you to keep high Humanity without sitting still and doing nothing or defying the social order to the point of suicide. A game which is VERY social and political, very magical, and with no combat can allow for Humanity 7-9. Humanity 10 characters are so boring that I will kill them to death. Even the Hunter from Dust to Dust has Humanity 9, because he occasionally has a day to himself and wishes that his life wasn't just service to God.

Comment

Originally posted by Chesh View Post

They're part of what I like about VtM over VtR, even if they were an early experiment in the gameline and got sort of swept under the rug later on...

I agree they're something that doesn't really belong in an edgier game, or would end up boring in an edgier game, but the presence of Kindred like the Children of Osiris are what give VtM its flexibility of tone. They offer the canon possibility - even if your chronicle is nowhere near them - of playing Kindred as something other than plain old monsters. They allow the potential for vampiric nature to be something other than straight inhumanity.

As for the original question, I myself have not played any Children of Osiris, but I do play a Humanity 8 Gangrel with the Humanitarianism flaw, some Prey Exclusion, and a Code of Honor. So far, being a naive and kind little neonate has earned her the friendship of a respected Nossie and a Ravnos, clan friendship with the Ravnos, and a relationship with a lonely elder Gangrel who happens to be a necromancer (the merit that lets you keep magic you had in life).

...So now, being a naive and kind little neonate, she tried to help a spirit in a cemetery on her own, accidentally got attached to it, and is now in the middle of the woods so her boyfriend can try to exorcise it without letting it attach to anyone else. Well, he fell into his necromancer trance just after the spirit called out to the Garou in the area. Guess who has to sit perfectly still and try to focus, without rousing her sitting-duck boyfriend, while the sounds of whoops, hollers, and growls draws ever closer?

That's my jam right there

Comment

And part of the drama associated with high Humanity characters comes from doing what is good over doing what is right. When faced with letting a monsterous mortal continue to live, sometimes the only good thing you can do is kill them quickly, even if it costs you Humanity because it is not the right thing to do. When characters lose Humanity because they made the good choice over the right choice in my games, I tend to compensate them for their sacrifice by giving them to gain an extra level in Willpower (to represent their increased confidence from choosing 'good' over 'right').

Comment

Working...
                              X