No announcement yet.

Elder Games

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that Elder Kindred tend to rely of their phenomenal Attributes and Abilities (even if they are not 7th generation or lower), which are augmented by their Disciplines. A 500 year old Kindred possesses +10 Attributes, +25 Abilities, +23 Disciplines, and +23 Backgrounds (or Freebie Points). They will be the best of the best (from a normal mortal perspective) in multiple Attributes and multiple Abilities.

Kindred with Perception 5, Alertness 5, and Auspex 5 will be nearly impossible to ambush. Kindred with Dexterity 5, Wits 5, and Celerity 5 will nearly always go first during combat. Kindred with Stamina 5 and Fortitude 5 rarely have to worry about random accidents.

Comment

Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post
      I think that Elder Kindred tend to rely of their phenomenal Attributes and Abilities (even if they are not 7th generation or lower), which are augmented by their Disciplines. A 500 year old Kindred possesses +10 Attributes, +25 Abilities, +23 Disciplines, and +23 Backgrounds (or Freebie Points). They will be the best of the best (from a normal mortal perspective) in multiple Attributes and multiple Abilities.

Kindred with Perception 5, Alertness 5, and Auspex 5 will be nearly impossible to ambush. Kindred with Dexterity 5, Wits 5, and Celerity 5 will nearly always go first during combat. Kindred with Stamina 5 and Fortitude 5 rarely have to worry about random accidents.
      A great option is the ancient Toreador Drug Addict; remember that drinking blood mixed with Speed grants you an extra dot of Celerity for 5 minutes haha.

Comment

So I'm liking the ideas for Staking background, the next thing is Session 0. In most games Session 0 can be one short thing, but I'm thinking if the game is set in a position where a few of the PCs have been in London for 300 years, we need to spend a while making them aware of the situation as it stands, sorting out a map of the city (domains, Elysia, publicly known haunts, Clan haunts), sorting out a year calendar (masked ball on the 9th, reception for the new Lord Mayor on the 17th) with each player knowing what they are/aren't invited to in the coming months, and getting invitations to things being an important feature.

Backgrounds need to be carefully expanded upon. For example, someone with Allies 5 needs to "place their troops", decide EXACTLY what those Allies mean and what it translates to, do they control the printers or the police or gangs of urchins? What are their Resources bound in? I like the idea of someone with Resources 5 in a Coal Empire being attacked by another PC who decides to sabotage them by subsidizing a rival coal supplier and helping them win a bid. Also, what's public knowledge? If the Harpy knows that Lady X made her fortune in steel, she may mention that regularly when talking of her, whereas Lady Z might have made her fortune in something private (drugs, flesh) that the Harpy isn't clued into, and this makes targeting her fortune harder.

So the costs of Backgrounds is determined by Secrecy and Invulnerability. The more legal/secure/impregnable something is the more expensive the background is, the more visible something is the cheaper it is. Secretly owning half of the brothels in London could be Spies 4 (working girls hear and see all sorts of things), Resources 5 (gentlemen can be very generous), Allies 2 (they're resourceful women but they're not assassins or bodyguards or diplomats), but it's also Secrecy 5 (ownership is a total secret) and Invulnerability 2 (technically legal, but far from savoury and also prone to flushes in puritan and conservative feel, which could change their legality quite quickly; could be the target of murderers, rampages, disease, raids, arrests, fires, kidnappings...). The Background being Secret adds 5 to the cost, while the Invulnerability being 2/5 means that the cost is two fifths of the normal cost. Lady Phoebe keeps her image 100% pure, so her rivals won't be targeting Brothels (unless they uncover her secret), but if some Christian extremists start torching her "shops" Phoebe's Resources may take a hit unless she takes action to stop them.

Having complex and powerful backgrounds for Elders, in my opinion, makes the world feel MUCH more real and also gets them strongly invested. Resources 5, Allies 2 and Spies 4 isn't something on the sheet, it's HALF OF THE BROTHELS IN THE CITY. That makes them feel like a fixture of the setting, not a person playing a random Vampire.

Comment

Originally posted by 11twiggins View Post
          InfernalGoose Thanks! That was all really cool. I'm avoiding the Elysium rules since EXP is a better reflection than Free Dots and Freebies. EXP scales with level, so being proficient at 100 different things costs the same as being EXPERT at 10, if you see what I mean. Using EXP means that having Celerity 7 at start is POSSIBLE, yes, but it will also mean sinking the majority of your EXP (and probably giving your character a nickname like "the silver death"). In a "here's 10 dots" and "here's 100 extra freebies" system (exaggerating but you get the gist), it's easier to abuse things IMO, and I'd like to balance those who go for expertise in a few powers against those who want to be decent at everything. So one PC might have 5 in their in-clans and 1 level 6 power, while another might have 3-4 points in every Common Discipline and some higher-level Abilities (haven't done the calculations, not sure how it would actually work out, but I'm sure you get the idea).
          With the V20 rules I've found that starting with beginning character creation rules and adding 1xp for every year the character has been active as a vampire works well. As long as all the PCs are in the same ballpark of age (or someone playing a younger character doesn't mind being weaker) it should go pretty harmoniously.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post

With the V20 rules I've found that starting with beginning character creation rules and adding 1xp for every year the character has been active as a vampire works well. As long as all the PCs are in the same ballpark of age (or someone playing a younger character doesn't mind being weaker) it should go pretty harmoniously.
            I've done exactly this before, and it worked quite well. A nice thing I discovered is that, if you keep some age similarity between your pc's, it works equally well at making functional Neonates as seasoned elders or even full on Methuselah.
            (Seriously, do the math. It's a serviceable trick.)

"The Silver Ladder; because every kid deserves a real Pokemon." - Kleptomania

Comment

Working...
            X