Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you adjust XP earned for fewer players?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you adjust XP earned for fewer players?

I'm running a game and I have only 2 players. They have asked if maybe I could give out more than the usual 1-4 xp per session since, as only 2 characters it's harder to cover more than just a few bases especially if they double up anywhere like perception/alertness or combat skills.

Anyone ever do this? Good idea, bad idea?

I always found the guideline xp to be low, at that rate, after rounding up a few things left up at character creation, it takes ages to develop anything.

The ST I had, and also when I ST always used 5 as a base with bonus depending on roleplay (which is automatically awarded except in case of poor RP), extremelly clever ideas or things that added to the whole group experience of the game. So usually 6/7 sometimes a little more at the end of a really important/dangerous(mortal) arc of the stroy.

Though I have to say it's for games of an average of 6-8 hours for less time I'd award less experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_N View Post
      I'm running a game and I have only 2 players. They have asked if maybe I could give out more than the usual 1-4 xp per session since, as only 2 characters it's harder to cover more than just a few bases especially if they double up anywhere like perception/alertness or combat skills.

Anyone ever do this? Good idea, bad idea?
      I have. If you want faster development for the characters and everyone is on board with it, it should work out fine. Maybe allow them to spontaneously develop in Clan Disciplines so they have a means to unload XP quickly.

Comment

Keep in mind that you don't have to stick with one rate of XP game for the whole game. So you can be generous starting out, and once you feel the characters have filled out enough, you can dial it back down. Also one good thing to do in games with few players is to let the characters acquire useful allies. Have some NPCs whose goals align with the players and are willing to work with them. That can help with gaps in their skillset.

Comment

Originally posted by Lys View Post
          Also one good thing to do in games with few players is to let the characters acquire useful allies. Have some NPCs whose goals align with the players and are willing to work with them. That can help with gaps in their skillset.
          Agreed, but be careful. The peak example of this going wrong is the Gehenna scenario where the 'Gary Stu' Saulot does everything (including making the ending happen) and the PCs are lucky enough to watch!
          Last edited by 11twiggins; 03-06-2017, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 11twiggins View Post

Agreed, but be careful. The peak example of this going wrong is the Gehenna scenario where the 'Gary Stu' Saulot does everything (including making the ending happen) and the PCs are lucky enough to watch!
            That doesn't have anything to do with XP though. You can give players ten xp per session and Antediluvians will still run their own show ignoring you.

Comment

Originally posted by Kammerer View Post
              That doesn't have anything to do with XP though. You can give players ten xp per session and Antediluvians will still run their own show ignoring you.
              I was referring to the idea of letting NPCs fill in the gaps in the PCs abilities. It isn't fun to watch NPCs do things for you, or it can be very very boring if done wrong. I probably should have deleted the EXP bit from the quote to be clear.

Comment

Originally posted by 11twiggins View Post

I was referring to the idea of letting NPCs fill in the gaps in the PCs abilities. It isn't fun to watch NPCs do things for you, or it can be very very boring if done wrong. I probably should have deleted the EXP bit from the quote to be clear.
                It depends. If the NPCs are superior or stand shoulder to shoulder with the players they can easily overshadow, but if the NPCs serve more of a role as a servant, such as a dominated/prescenced servant as a ghoul, it should be fine.

Vampires with small coteries should look to cover the holes in their own skillsets by earning boons from other kindred with those skills or expanding their influence to have influence(one way or the other) over skilled mortals. The default XP rate is kind of low anyway, 4-6 XP per game is probably fine in most cases.

Comment

Working...
                X