Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark ages - Constantinople by Night

Hi guys,

I am about to run a v20 dark ages chronicle and was wondering of the old Constantinople by Night is salvageable? the book starts before 1200 but v20 dark ages run 1242. Thus the city is overrun by the crusade.

Would it be a horrible thing to use this old resource and 'push' the events for like 50 years into the future?

You're the ST you can do pretty much whatever you like, and its your story just run with it.

Comment

If you want to run a post-Crusade game, then Constantinople by Night is no longer a particularly useful resource. Most of the major characters either die or leave the city after the Crusade, and the Trinity system is abolished, so right there huge parts of the book just aren't relevant any more. If you want to push the Crusade to a latter date, you wind up messing up the course of history in that part of the world in all manner of unpredictable ways. You can do whatever you want as an ST, but it's probably much easier to run the game in 1197 than it is to try and make Constantinople by Night fit into the world of 1242. There's not really anything in the V20DA rules that are dependent on it being the latter date. In fact, the Constaninople by Night game i played in was set in 1196, but we used the Dark Ages Vampire rules which are set in 1230, and then transitioned into the V20 rules when they published the manuscript.

Comment

Originally posted by Lys View Post
        If you want to run a post-Crusade game, then Constantinople by Night is no longer a particularly useful resource. Most of the major characters either die or leave the city after the Crusade, and the Trinity system is abolished, so right there huge parts of the book just aren't relevant any more. If you want to push the Crusade to a latter date, you wind up messing up the course of history in that part of the world in all manner of unpredictable ways. You can do whatever you want as an ST, but it's probably much easier to run the game in 1197 than it is to try and make Constantinople by Night fit into the world of 1242. There's not really anything in the V20DA rules that are dependent on it being the latter date. In fact, the Constaninople by Night game i played in was set in 1196, but we used the Dark Ages Vampire rules which are set in 1230, and then transitioned into the V20 rules when they published the manuscript.
        Good advice all around, I'd follow it

Just set your game in the 1190's so you can use the info presented in the book and then use the rules in v20. I did it!

Comment

Also, I'm running a game set in 1230 and I'm still using CBN

The way I've set it up is that the 4th crusade left the triumvirate weakened and its chief leaders (including Michael) dead.

The lesser triumvirate still rules but has been forced to allow the western Cainites equal status, there is now a power struggle for dominance.

What's happened is that the sack of Constantinople didnt destory the triumvirate, it weakened it, they still hold power but the western Cainites seek to undo them without destroying the city outright (they want to have it, not destroy it).

Think of it as being like the 'opening' of Japan, the Americans came in, bombed a city and then said "let us in or else we do it again."

The Japanese capitulated and then reinvigorated their power base while partially occupied by a foreign power.

This way you can still set your game in the mid thirteenth century and use CBN.

By the way, the Greeks retake Constantinople in 1261 though it remains a shadow of its former self until its conquest by the Turks in 15th century

Comment

We used Constantinople by Night extensively through 1196 and 1205, and I had cause to expand upon it on our website here. We also played through the events of the Bitter Crusade extensively, and I got most of the way updating Constantinople up to about 1215 CE, including what happened to the Trinity and Scion families in the wake of the Sack of 1204. My revision was very heavily influenced by, and where possible is consistent with, the Dark Ages Vampire novels. Unfortunately, I kind of got stuck when Obsidian Portal rebooted the site and never quite picked the project up again. I have about half the factions updated, and I can make my notes available if you are keen.

In my humble opinion, the majority of the NPCs and factions detailed in Constantinople by Night simply couldn't survive the events of the Sack. At least, not if you cleave to any sense of historical authenticity or try to follow the trajectory of most of the character arcs.

In broad strokes, consistent with the Dark Ages Europe supplement, I decided to follow through with Alfonzo of Venice reigning as prince. His "Court of Porphyry Shadows" is based in Blachernae Palace, where he controls the imperial household and the Venetian Quarter, but his power relies heavily on a detente with several factions of Ventrue and Lasombra. Among them are a number of French, Provencal, and Holy Roman Ventrue crusaders that remained behind when the other Cainites returned to Europe, as well as Nicepherus and the remnants of his faction among the Antonian Ventrue. Relations are strained on all accounts, especially with agents of the Epirote Lexor (led by Natalya Syvatoslav & Procet), the Nicaean Antonians (led by Anna Comnena), the Genoese Lasombra (led by Gabriella), and the St. Ladre Nosferatu (led by Fra' Ignatius) stirring the pot. In the background, Byzar has awoken from torpor and has begun to "monitor" the situation (pun intended). He struggles to acclimate to the new epoch while carefully watching for signs of other ancients.

The Concord of Ashes, my Dark Ages Vampire Chronicle

Comment

V20 Dark Ages Companion has a chapter on Constantinople. Coming soon!

Matthew Dawkins
              Freelance Writer and Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Comment

Originally posted by Haligaunt View Post
                Alfonzo of Venice reigning as prince. His "Court of Porphyry Shadows" is based in Blachernae Palace, where he controls the imperial household and the Venetian Quarter
                The Latin Emperors tended to favour the Palace of Bukoleon to the south of the Great Palace complex, which makes the Blachernae Palace a somewhat inconvenient location for controlling the imperial household. A better site would be the Great Palace itself, as its location makes it easy to exert direct influence over both the Latin Quarter and the imperial household, and it's already been modified for vampiric habitation by the Trinity.

Also because i feel like bragging. While my coterie in my Constantinople by Night game will do its utmost to prevent the events of Bitter Crusade from happening, the Bishop Alfonso of Venice will not rule even if we fail, because he's dead. With the help of the Tzimisce Despot of Thessalonki and his personal squadron, we pirated the Venetian fall convoy out of Constantinople, used the money to hire a band of mercenaries, assaulted the Bishop's palace, bit his head off, and took over the Latin Quarter. Nothing like a successful coup d'etat to make you feel good about yourself.
                Last edited by Lys; 03-06-2017, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gentleman Gamer View Post
                  V20 Dark Ages Companion has a chapter on Constantinople. Coming soon!

Yo boss, when is soon approximately?

Also when will you do the werewolf character creation livestream?

Comment

Originally posted by Crytash View Post

Yo boss, when is soon approximately?

Also when will you do the werewolf character creation livestream?
                    Soon is approximately when we have all art in (it's mostly there), it's laid out, and I can proof it.

I hope to do the livestream tonight, time willing.

Matthew Dawkins
                    Freelance Writer and Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Comment

Sweet - as someone who has not followed your livestream before, where can I follow it and are the videos posted somewhere if we miss it?

Comment

Originally posted by Haligaunt View Post
                        We used Constantinople by Night extensively through 1196 and 1205, and I had cause to expand upon it on our website here. We also played through the events of the Bitter Crusade extensively, and I got most of the way updating Constantinople up to about 1215 CE, including what happened to the Trinity and Scion families in the wake of the Sack of 1204. My revision was very heavily influenced by, and where possible is consistent with, the Dark Ages Vampire novels. Unfortunately, I kind of got stuck when Obsidian Portal rebooted the site and never quite picked the project up again. I have about half the factions updated, and I can make my notes available if you are keen.

In my humble opinion, the majority of the NPCs and factions detailed in Constantinople by Night simply couldn't survive the events of the Sack. At least, not if you cleave to any sense of historical authenticity or try to follow the trajectory of most of the character arcs.

In broad strokes, consistent with the Dark Ages Europe supplement, I decided to follow through with Alfonzo of Venice reigning as prince. His "Court of Porphyry Shadows" is based in Blachernae Palace, where he controls the imperial household and the Venetian Quarter, but his power relies heavily on a detente with several factions of Ventrue and Lasombra. Among them are a number of French, Provencal, and Holy Roman Ventrue crusaders that remained behind when the other Cainites returned to Europe, as well as Nicepherus and the remnants of his faction among the Antonian Ventrue. Relations are strained on all accounts, especially with agents of the Epirote Lexor (led by Natalya Syvatoslav & Procet), the Nicaean Antonians (led by Anna Comnena), the Genoese Lasombra (led by Gabriella), and the St. Ladre Nosferatu (led by Fra' Ignatius) stirring the pot. In the background, Byzar has awoken from torpor and has begun to "monitor" the situation (pun intended). He struggles to acclimate to the new epoch while carefully watching for signs of other ancients.

Hey, I love your imput - I would love to get access to your notes as well, how can we do it? I can PM you my email?

Comment

Now that I've went through the factions of this city, most of NPC's and human politics - I feel a bit scared with all this ! My coterie is just inexperienced players. We've just finished a long mage chronicle and figured we could change the theme for Vampire. Is it wise to begin in Constantinople? it looks overwhelming..
                          Last edited by artuard; 03-07-2017, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 4uk4ata View Post
                            Sweet - as someone who has not followed your livestream before, where can I follow it and are the videos posted somewhere if we miss it?

This is his YT channel:
                            https://www.youtube.com/user/clackclickbang

Comment

Originally posted by artuard View Post
                              Now that I've went through the factions of this city, most of NPC's and human politics - I feel a bit scared with all this ! My coterie is just inexperienced players. We've just finished a long mage chronicle and figured we could change the theme for Vampire. Is it wise to begin in Constantinople? it looks overwhelming..
                              I hear you, it's a tough place to run a game unless you tweak the setting in which case you're not really using the material in CBN as it's written.

This is one reason why i like post crusade Constantinople, it's a simpler place to set a game and you can still use the triumvirate, just a weakened body with Latin vampires hold more influence.

Knock out the NPCs you feel are too difficult to use and make the playing field a bit less complex while still keeping the grandeur of the city (to a lesser extent).

You can even have the players sent there by a group of Latin vampires who want them to influence the city or serve as their agents or spies.

Comment

Working...
                              X