Level 6 Powers for Players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Level 6 Powers for Players

I'm running an Elders game soon (Victorian London, VERY social, with the PCs being known Elders and long-standing fixtures of Kindred Society, of roughly 300 years), and I've told my players that each PC can have one level 6 power. I have two questions:

1: Does anyone have experience with running level 6 powers? In my first ever game players developed them through Diablerie (yes, it was one of THOSE Vampire games) but it was balanced because every PC was equally broken and the enemies were very OP. This is a social game where difficulties will be fixed, if the Elder with Dominate 6 walks into the Brothel controlled by the Setites, I won't be shifting the difficulty artificially in the background, everything will be decided beforehand where possible (down to the sheets of every Vampire and important Ghoul in the city and some generic sheets for Mortals and Ghouls). That means that balance will be more of a problem and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with that.

2: Does anyone have any cool original level 6 powers for the "common" Disciplines?
    Last edited by 11twiggins; 03-08-2017, 11:44 AM.

Just curious what about the viability for a Dominate Level 6 or so power that adds your Dominate Rating to something like Intimidation/Interrogation/Command roles?

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
      Just curious what about the viability for a Dominate Level 6 or so power that adds your Dominate Rating to something like Intimidation/Interrogation/Command rolls?
      That could be quite neat. Just passively add your Dominate to relevant dice pools. Good power for those who have a Level 7 power which they use in favour of level 6 (some level 7 powers are just level 6 but better).

Comment

If you stick to lvl 6 & common disciplines, most of the power are not that powerful & tend to extend on the base (Like dominate not needing eye contact anymore).

A few can get worrying, and when you got to more exotic diciplines it can quickly get out of hand.

I'd say just ask your players to be fair play, but if you're willing to ST them a Social Victorian game, there should be no problem (usually the players up for that kind of games are not the Munchkin type)

Comment

Originally posted by Kendaan View Post
          If you stick to lvl 6 & common disciplines, most of the power are not that powerful & tend to extend on the base (Like dominate not needing eye contact anymore).

A few can get worrying, and when you got to more exotic diciplines it can quickly get out of hand.

I'd say just ask your players to be fair play, but if you're willing to ST them a Social Victorian game, there should be no problem (usually the players up for that kind of games are not the Munchkin type)
          Yeah, I'm really happy with the players. They're choosing powers which add to the backstory or fill plot holes. For example, the Nosferatu who is pretending to be a Toreador needs Mind Blank, since otherwise the Gen 6 Toreador would know instantly that there was something wrong.

Comment

Elder Disciplines are all over the place in terms of power, so you really have to judge them on an individual basis. There's very few that are actually game breakingly strong, to the point that i can't think of any right now that aren't like Rank 8 or 9. The real problem is that while a lot of Elder Disciplines are powerful and fun, many others are underpowered and underwhelming, and a handful barely do anything you can't already do with Rank 1-5.

For example, let's take Dominate 6 in V20: Obedience lets you Dominate people through direct skin contact instead of eye contact. Given that there are damn few situations where you can establish skin to skin contact but not eye contact, and that eye contact is nearly always more subtle, it's hard to see how this constitutes a improvements. Chain the Psyche causes wracking pain if anyone attempts to resist your implanted Dominate commands, but seeing as there is no mechanics or means through which resist implanted commands, the power doesn't actually do anything. On the other hand, Loyalty imposes a +3 difficulty penalty for anyone else to Dominate your thralls, which is actually really useful and appropriate for a Dominate 6 power. Finally, Still the Mortal Flesh gets an honourable mention despite being rank 7 because it used to be rank 6. It lets you shut off certain autonomic functions, so you can strike vampires blind, or shut off the hearts of mortals. This was apparently too powerful for rank 6 when can just as easily render someone helpless and easy to kill with Dominate 1 and the word "freeze".

Meanwhile over in Presence 6: There's Love which is barely better than Entrancement and only lasts one scene. Paralyzing Glance is actually a solid improvement over Dread Gaze, so there's not much to complain about it. Finally Spark of Rage, which is so narrow in application you could conceivably run through an entire chronicle and never have occasion to use it. It's kind of sad because the power it's derived from, Dark Ages' Passion, let you inflict not just rage no bystanders, but also love, fear, or greed, which actually made it useful. Also honourable mention to Persence 7's Cooperation for being a boring but useful rank 6 power which is at rank 7 for no apparent reason, and which frankly could have easily been a combo discipline.

On the other hand, Auspex 6 has Clairvoyance, Prediction, and Telephatic Communication, all of which are all appropriately powerful for elders, but shouldn't break or unbalance your game. So it's not always a crapshoot.

As original rank 6 powers, i always liked the idea of a Presence 6 power that upgrades by Awe making it an automatic no-roll no-cost effect that you can activate at will. Got the inspiration from Vampire the Requiem 2nd Edition, because there that's how Awe works by default in that game.

Comment

Working...
            X