Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we take a moment to appreciate the writing in the Tzimisce Chapter of LotC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we take a moment to appreciate the writing in the Tzimisce Chapter of LotC?

Seriously, it gives me chills every time. A quick run-down:

The Introduction

We get to see three Tzimisce and learn a bit about their culture. We see a member of the Old Clan, a Voivoide, a Koldun... and two younger, weaker Tzimisce. This little story captures the thematic differences between the rule of a Voivoide and a Prince or an Arch-Bishop. We get to see the terrifying powers of a serious Elder Koldun, and we get an impression of the odd morality of these monsters. Their little rituals, their love of their property and their land, their honourable conduct and their bizarre... fairness.

The Main Chapter

Oh boy. This is just very, very creepy. Our setting is a Tzimisce writing down the history of his Clan on the bare flesh of a captured Cainite intruder. References are made to so many amazing bits of the Tzimisce history, their links to the Anarch Revolt and the Sabbat... We learn why the Eldest learned the Disciplines he did, where the Old Clan came from, we learn about all the different moralities and factions of Tzimisce. We learn about Revenants, and The Night the Sabbat Was Born. It gives me chills.

Mechanical Stuff

We get some nice character concepts, ideas on Paths and how they fit with the Tzimisce's signature Discipline, and some cool Combination powers and Merits/Flaws.

I say this because I know that Tzimisce aren't most people's favourite clan, and I can imagine that many skipped through their chapter only giving some bits a quick glance. Seriously, if you own the book, go back and read through it carefully. Every line is dripping with atmosphere.

Oh it is definitely my favourite section, and has catapulted the Tzimisce as my favourite clan to play (now that I have taken off the mantel of Storyteller for the time being). Turning them from the usual fleshy squick-fest into otherworldly, inhuman, but very "polite" and aristocratic Lords is a very good thing. OTOH, I'd say we definitely don't learn where the Old Clan come from, at least mechanically. The identity of Clan Tzimisce is in the Shaping and in the Soil, and the OCT drop the Shaping for no apparent reason.

My current LARP character is an Old Clan Tzimisce, with all the aristocratic trappings, and antagonising the Lesser Clans (he expects everyone to just acknowledge their obvious and clear inferiority when compared to one as pure as him), masquerading as a Tremere. Kind of the mix between Old Clan New and Shabby Voivode.

Well, "one of the blood that flows through Clan Tremere", so he is technically not lying.

Comment

Originally posted by Herbert_West View Post
      Oh it is definitely my favourite section, and has catapulted the Tzimisce as my favourite clan to play (now that I have taken off the mantel of Storyteller for the time being). Turning them from the usual fleshy squick-fest into otherworldly, inhuman, but very "polite" and aristocratic Lords is a very good thing. OTOH, I'd say we definitely don't learn where the Old Clan come from, at least mechanically. The identity of Clan Tzimisce is in the Shaping and in the Soil, and the OCT drop the Shaping for no apparent reason.

My current LARP character is an Old Clan Tzimisce, with all the aristocratic trappings, and antagonising the Lesser Clans (he expects everyone to just acknowledge their obvious and clear inferiority when compared to one as pure as him), masquerading as a Tremere. Kind of the mix between Old Clan New and Shabby Voivode.

Well, "one of the blood that flows through Clan Tremere", so he is technically not lying.
      It states that the Old Clan felt something wrong with Vicissitude and let go of it fearing it was corrupted somehow. They are actually "new".

Comment

Working...
      X