Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which clans are Common/Uncommon in the Anarch community?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which clans are Common/Uncommon in the Anarch community?

Other than Brujah; they're a lil obvious.
    ​I also imagine it would be harder to find Ventrue and Tremere outside of the Camarilla, but I could be wrong.

​Asking for an upcoming Anarch game.

There are more Ventrue Anarchs than either the Ventrue or the Anarchs would like to admit. They aren't ubiquitous by any means, but if you look for one chances are you'll find one. Some of this is because Ventrue will tolerate a certain amount of rebellion in their younger ranks in the anticipation that their zeal will leaven with age and they can be counted on to return to the fold. Another and arguably more significant reason is that Ventrue often select new vampires for their talent and ambition, talented and ambitious individuals who are then initiated into the secret society that controls the world as member of a clan they're told are only the best of the best... only to discover that all the good positions are full and the butts cooling those chairs will never get old and retire. These are not personalities that like being told to wait five hundred years to take their turn, and so the Anarchs can begin to look like a potentially promising start-up.

Comment

^ What the Primo said.

Also because Anarchs...aren't really the best at anarchy? Without a solid foundation for their ideals, they tend to fall back to the same hierarchies and rules that the Camarilla has. Except they call their Primogen "Barons" and don't have official, dedicated Sheriffs and Scourges to keep everyone in line, or Courts where they can keep an eye on everyone. An enterprising Ventrue might easily step into the power vacuum by offering stability - the kind of stability the Anarchs are already sliding back towards.

Honestly, most Cam clans could probably be found in the Anarchs, especially Brujah and Gangrel. No one tries to stop a Malkavian's mad wanderings, Nossies have more clan loyalty than sect loyalty, and Tories are happy as long as they have their shinies. Tremere would be tricky...unless there are a few who somehow escaped the clan's mass communal blood bond and want a place to hide.

As for non-Cams, the Giovanni are businessmen and entrepreneurs like the Ventrue. The Free Anarchs, without stable oversight and law enforcement, are full of chaotic individuals ripe for some accidental murders and messy cover-ups. I could see a few Giovanni being attracted to that yet-unclaimed territory, wanting a piece of that sweet, ghost-generating pie. The Followers of Set love setting up base where they can, and again - not much infrastructure for rooting them out in the Anarchs. Even Ravnos might have an easier time coming and going in an Anarch State.

Comment

Well the "Camarilla-lite" anarchs are the most Conservative of Anarch domains there are a variety of that practice everything from Democracy to true anarchy(though those tend to fade out). Ventrue embrace ambitious driven individuals it makes sense that the stagnation that is the Camarilla will drive a good chunk out since there's only so much room to grow and the old people aren't dying.

I'd imagine Cam have little issue defecting(asside from Tremere) with Ventrue being at the bottom of the Nontremere list because they are just embraced with less regualrity and more likely embraced for a position. Independent clans woudl depend on their level of internal organization and Sabbat having the least ease of just defecting because of blood based brainwashing.

Comment

I vaguely remember one of the Anarch guides saying there were a fair amount of Assamite and Lasombra Anarchs still around, largely due to their history with the Revolt. Probably uncommon to be sure, especially with the godawful hateboner the Lasombra majority have for any of the Clan outside the Sabbat, but.

Comment

I remember reading in Guide to the Anarchs that the movement had gotten a recent influx of both Assamites and Ravnos. The former were largely made up of schismatics, who liked neither Alamut nor the Camarilla, and the latter were survivors of the Week of Nightmares who sought safety in numbers yet found the bigger sects antithetical to their clan ethos.

Malkavian Madness Forum - Your pbp fix. Be it nWoD, cWoD, CoC, D&D or something else entirely, come over here and get your game on

Comment

If i had to guess, i suppose the brunt of the Anarchs are composed of the "riff-raff" of Camarilla-aligned domains: the young and unlucky from "low clans" like Brujah, Gangrel, Malkavian & Nosferatu, along with discontents, criminals and rejects from Toreador, Tremere & Ventrue, along with a mass of Caitiff spawned from any of the previous and then some. To that one might add a number of Independent and bloodlines that come & go or make contacts according to personal convenience of the individual or faction. A number of Assamite schismatics and Ravnos remnants would most probably fit on the last case, along with the occasional rogue Setite not into the whole "dark religion cultural identity" thing, Gargoyles with funny ideas or whatever one feels like toying with.

It obviously can vary considerably depending on circunstances - that any one or more of the previously mentioned "low clans" can actually be placed among the high in any one particular city goes without saying, and specific domain or regional histories can also result in the appearance of places with notable twists of the norm - Iberian Peninsula, Latin America and Africa are pretty possible places for domains with well-established Anarch or "high clan" Lasombra broods for example, same possibly goes for Tzimisce in Russia, former constituents of the Soviet Union and places once in the Byzantine sphere of influence cultural & politically.

Beside these i have also tinkered with Assamite and Setite broods amidst the Anarchs or Status Quo of Camarilla cities of Brasil, Gargoyles playing at the "hired thug" card usually associated with Assamites, Tremere Guerillas, Lamiae enclaves politicking across the Black Sea and a bunch of other addled stuff.

Comment

Remember that plenty of Anarchs consider discussion of Clan and Bloodline to be impolite. TONNES of Ventrue Anarchs are discreet about their Clan heritage since they don't want to get by on blood heritage or be held back by it. Simply put, Anarchs care the least about Bloodline and Clan, and therefore will have the greatest diversity of any sect. All 13 of the Major Clans in modern nights have some form of representation (with Giovanni being the rarest as "true members" but showing up quite often as residents).

Anarchs have the greatest levels of Caitiff acceptance, but Caitiff are often treated as an easily swayed electorate, a bit like rural Americans, by many Barons.

Tremere? Easy. Tonnes of Tremere have defected to Anarch controlled areas; where do you think Anarch Sorcery comes from? Old Skool, Punk, New Age and Technothaumaturgy were all born from Tremere dissidence mixing with shared Anarch knowledge.

Part of the reason I like playing Anarch games is that it facilitates Player diversity. You don't feel like you're breaking taboos by playing as a Lasombra or Tzimisce, or an obscure Bloodline. The Anarchs LOVE sharing knowledge and power, and therefore members of obscure, rare bloodlines are welcomed (generally speaking).

Comment

I can only recommend people read Anarchs Unbound, since it runs through each of the Clans and talks about the Anarchs among them. It is revealed that the narrator is actually a Ventrue who never tells others of his heritage since they end up censoring themselves around him and deferring to him as a leader.

The other hilarious element of Anarch society is that many Brujah are leaders and even (god forbid) bureaucrats. It leads to a great deal of anxiety on their parts, as they feel more and more like a cog in the machine.

Comment

Originally posted by 11twiggins View Post
                    Remember that plenty of Anarchs consider discussion of Clan and Bloodline to be impolite. TONNES of Ventrue Anarchs are discreet about their Clan heritage since they don't want to get by on blood heritage or be held back by it. Simply put, Anarchs care the least about Bloodline and Clan, and therefore will have the greatest diversity of any sect. All 13 of the Major Clans in modern nights have some form of representation (with Giovanni being the rarest as "true members" but showing up quite often as residents).
                    While this is true I won't expect to say find a Nagaraja Baron, there are distinct demographic leans. Which I think the op was looking for. While you can make whatever city you want the setting generally presumes a broad level of Brujah and a lot fewer say Tremere.

Anarchs have the greatest levels of Caitiff acceptance, but Caitiff are often treated as an easily swayed electorate, a bit like rural Americans, by many Barons.
                    Panders disagree.

Tremere? Easy. Tonnes of Tremere have defected to Anarch controlled areas; where do you think Anarch Sorcery comes from? Old Skool, Punk, New Age and Technothaumaturgy were all born from Tremere dissidence mixing with shared Anarch knowledge.
                    The majority of Anarch thaum seems to be cultural based stuff that survived where as the Tremere purged much of this in the Camarilla and the Sabbat didn't have much use for things outside their moral setup. Only the Hackers are explicitly tremere and who knows how loyal they really are vs using the anarchs as a broad experiment pool.

Part of the reason I like playing Anarch games is that it facilitates Player diversity. You don't feel like you're breaking taboos by playing as a Lasombra or Tzimisce, or an obscure Bloodline. The Anarchs LOVE sharing knowledge and power, and therefore members of obscure, rare bloodlines are welcomed (generally speaking).
                    I'd argue that while Anarchs are unlikely to turn anyone away, The Ashirra, or Laibon sects are more broadly diverse in bloodlines. On the other hand Anarch domains allow for some unique experimental crossover setups. they might legitimately mix with bamboo princes. Have Hollow Ones who are full members of the gang, make Deals with Bonegnawers to keep the Cam/Sabbat out..

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

While this is true I won't expect to say find a Nagaraja Baron, there are distinct demographic leans. Which I think the op was looking for. While you can make whatever city you want the setting generally presumes a broad level of Brujah and a lot fewer say Tremere.

Panders disagree.

The majority of Anarch thaum seems to be cultural based stuff that survived where as the Tremere purged much of this in the Camarilla and the Sabbat didn't have much use for things outside their moral setup. Only the Hackers are explicitly tremere and who knows how loyal they really are vs using the anarchs as a broad experiment pool.

I'd argue that while Anarchs are unlikely to turn anyone away, The Ashirra, or Laibon sects are more broadly diverse in bloodlines. On the other hand Anarch domains allow for some unique experimental crossover setups. they might legitimately mix with bamboo princes. Have Hollow Ones who are full members of the gang, make Deals with Bonegnawers to keep the Cam/Sabbat out..
                      - Well, since the Nagaraja are almost entirely within a Sect whose whole role is secretly controlling the other Sects for their evil purposes, a Nagaraja Baron would actually be kind of plausible.

- Panders are the Caitiff Canon Fodder of the Sabbat, Caitiff in the Anarchs (as of Anarchs Unbound) are a general rabble in many Baronies. They're compared to the "guns and god" electorate.

- Well Tremere defectors are a driving force in each school. Old Skool and Punk are deliberate rejections of authority (Old Skool being a rejection of Hermetic Wizadry's stifling roots, while Punk Sorcery is a rejection of general authority), and many Tremere consider converting to them to be general "fuck you"s towards their Clan.

- That's a fair point actually, however it becomes a matter of Semantics almost. At a certain point you have to ask if "we have Brujah, and Brujah with Auspex instead of Presence" is Diversity.
                      Last edited by 11twiggins; 03-14-2017, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 11twiggins View Post

- Well, since the Nagaraja are almost entirely within a Sect whose whole role is secretly controlling the other Sects for their evil purposes, a Nagaraja Baron would actually be kind of plausible.
                        Its plausable but not presented as the norms for the movement. There may be active open Nagaraja in the movement. I woudln't even have a problem with someone saying "hey that's my concept" and running that in an anarch game. I just wouldn't portray that as common. I wouldn't say each Gang in the Freestate has a nagaraja for example.

- Panders are the Caitiff Canon Fodder of the Sabbat, Caitiff in the Anarchs (as of Anarchs Unbound) are a general rabble in many Baronies. They're compared to the "guns and god" electorate.
                        Its true but they they can wave their flag of "We are a clan the real clans acknowledge us!" Which they call acceptance.

- Well Tremere defectors are a driving force in each school. Old Skool and Punk are deliberate rejections of authority, and many Tremere consider converting to them to be general "fuck you"s towards their Clan.
                        That doesn't seem to be the case? Rites of Blood Only really talks about Tremere as members of the Hacktivists. Oldschool beign leftover scraps from Pagan blood magics, Punk being created by Brujah, New Age having a strong malkavain bent etc.

- That's a fair point actually, however it becomes a matter of Semantics almost. At a certain point you have to ask if "we have Brujah, and Brujah with Auspex instead of Presence" is Diversity.

That's not quite what i mean. the Anarch movement has clear demographic leans. That the Laibon and Ashirra have fewer places that turn out to be all one or 2 bloodlines and have a wide diversity of options. This isn't to say as I said above you can't play the Nagaraja in the anarch movement but you should't be expecting to meet many others.

Comment

doublepost
                          Last edited by Lian; 03-14-2017, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Doublepost
                            Last edited by Lian; 03-14-2017, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Lian I remember that at the very least Old Skool mentions that plenty of Tremere join it when they join the Anarchs as a fuck you to the Tremere.

Comment

Working...
                              X