Assamite Sorcery and Dur-An-Ki

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assamite Sorcery and Dur-An-Ki

in the V20 we have the Assamite Sorcery from the magi and some rituals whit paths, but in the Rites of the Blood they tell me about this "dur-an-ki" who is assamite sorcery but have diferent paths and rituals. Horever in the same book, there is assamite sorcery too, (new rituals). The new rituals and phats of dur-an-ki are described as assamite sorcery.

so, this is my question, what is the diference betwen assamite sorcery and dur-an-ki, and if there is no diference why they have diferent paths, rituals and descriptions in the book "Rites of the Blood" and "Vampire: the masquerade V20"

V20 assamite sorcery page 440
    Equivalent Assamite
    Paths and Rituals
    The sorcerers have equivalent teachings for many common blood magic techniques in addition to their own unique lessons. The following list is not an exhaustive coverage of everything in the Great Library, but it is a starting point for players and Storytellers who wish to determine the capabilities of Assamite sorcerers. Names in parentheses are the names that the sorcerer caste prefers to use for each item, if the Assamite name differs from the commonly accepted one. Paths marked with an asterisk are usually options for an Assamite sorcerer to learn as his primary path, provided his instructor approves.

Paths: The Path of Blood, The Lure of Flames*, Movement of the Mind*, The Path of Conjuring, Hands of Destruction

Rituals: Defense of the Sacred Haven (Curtain of Will), Wake with Evening’s Freshness (Black Sunrise), Communicate with Kindred Sire (Speak with Sire), Deflection of Wooden Doom (Turn the Impaling Shaft), Ward versus Ghouls, Principal Focus of Vitae Infusion (Draught of the Pebble), Incorporeal Passage (Passage of the Ghul), Bone of Lies (Stain of Guilt)
    Rites of the Blood Dur-an-ki page 100
    Other Paths of Dur-An-Ki
    Many of the paths associated with Dur-An-Ki are functionally identical to various Thaumaturgy paths. In many cases, the Dur-An-Ki version came first and was adapted to Thaumaturgy by Tremere. Those paths are as

follows:
    • The Path of Life’s Waters (Path of Blood, V20, pp. 213-214)
    • The Path of Jinn’s Gift (Path of Conjuring, V20, pp. 220-221)
    • The Path of the Ailing Jackal (Path of the Father’s Vengeance, V20, pp. 226-228)
    • The Hand of the Magi (Lure of Flames, V20, p. 218)
    • The Covenant of Enki (Neptune’s Might, V20, pp. 218-220)
    • The Laws of Suleiman (Spirit Manipulation, p. 142-145)

In addition to these familiar paths, there are several paths unique to practitioners of Dur-An-Ki, two of which are described below.

Assamite Sorcery = Dur-an-ki. They're just different terms for the same thing. Any and all content for Assamite Sorcery and Dur-an-ki is accessible (well, for any given value of accessible; some paths and rituals will be prized by those who know them) by any Assamite Mage, or any other Assamite who learns the art. And you will get plenty outside the Clan who use Dur-an-ki too, especially among the Ashirra (middle eastern version of the Camarilla).
    Last edited by 11twiggins; 03-17-2017, 04:58 PM.

Comment

You will also find practitioners of Dur-An-Ki among the Methuselah of the Camarilla, though I imagine that they will politely not discuss their magical expertise anywhere where the Tremere will get their feelings hurt.

Comment

Rites of the Blood was very hit or miss and very contradictory. Dur-An-Ki is supposed to be what the Assamites use but it was named only after the book that mentioned that Assamites even have a Sorcerer caste. Basically Thaumaturgy is Dur-An-Ki but cleansed of its religious trappings and made closer to a math/Science, while Dur-An-Ki involves belief and mythical trappings.

It was probably the most wide spread of the Blood Sorcereries before Thaumaturgy was invented.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Assamite sorcery is any sorcery practiced by clan Assamite. This is GENERALLY Dur-An-ki, and will often be treated as synonymous. However some sorcerers and other castes also practice Sihir(islamic blood magic) and Saduhana(Hindu blood magic). If you want a Mage parallel Dur-an-ki broadly matches up with the Taftani paradigm.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
            Assamite sorcery is any sorcery practiced by clan Assamite. This is GENERALLY Dur-An-ki, and will often be treated as synonymous. However some sorcerers and other castes also practice Sihir(islamic blood magic) and Saduhana(Hindu blood magic). If you want a Mage parallel Dur-an-ki broadly matches up with the Taftani paradigm.

Actually no proof they practiced Sadhana, only they incorporated Kali and the like into Assamite Sorcery.

Seeing as how Kindred of the Ebon Kingdom allows Dur-an-Ki to incorporate African gods its seems to me they were using Dur-An-Ki to incorporate beings like Durga and Kali into their rituals.

If I had my druthers we would stop using terms like Assamite Sorcery and Setite Sorcery as it is misleading and confusing. Just use actually named sorceries like Dur-An-Ki and Akhu.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post

Actually no proof they practiced Sadhana, only they incorporated Kali and the like into Assamite Sorcery.

Seeing as how Kindred of the Ebon Kingdom allows Dur-an-Ki to incorporate African gods its seems to me they were using Dur-An-Ki to incorporate beings like Durga and Kali into their rituals.

If I had my druthers we would stop using terms like Assamite Sorcery and Setite Sorcery as it is misleading and confusing. Just use actually named sorceries like Dur-An-Ki and Akhu.

We have no proof that they were doing any of this. We know that soem Assamites exist in India and practice Hinduism. I don't think the "you can just add whatever gods to it" makes sense with the description of Dur an Ki in Blood sacrifice. I mean I'm pretty sure Deva use Saduhana but their write up says "thaumaturgy" I'm pretty sure african blood magic should be its own thing.

Comment

Yes I do too, I'm not thrilled on Dur-an-ki being used for non Sumerian paradigms...

Comment

well, gentlemens, i am already more confuse that a before.

But there is a tink i can get about all of this

1. Assamite Sorcery is Dur-An-Ki but Dur-An-Ki is not Assamite Sorcerer
                  2. If i gonna used a Assamite Magi i put in the Character sheet Assamite Sorcerer no matter what i gonna used
                  3. the last and more important, at last is not like Setita Sorcery (Akhu, Wanga, Manilau and sadhana), what a mess.

thanks for the answers and please, if i am wrong in someting please tell me
                  Last edited by Yeisson D. Velandia; 03-18-2017, 11:47 AM.

Comment

What is Manilau? It should be Nuhuatl.

Basically I ignore Assamite Sorcery and Setite Sorcery, they are just place holder names from before they came up with actual names.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                      What is Manilau? It should be Nuhuatl.

Basically I ignore Assamite Sorcery and Setite Sorcery, they are just place holder names from before they came up with actual names.
                      yeah, my mistake

Comment

Working...
                      X