Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Victorian Age] Experience with the setting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bluecho View Post
    The Call of Cthulhu was mentioned earlier, and I think it's apt. Not because of exact setting - unless you're using some of the Victorian era sourcebooks - but because of tone and themes. I've thought for a while now that HP Lovecraft - documented antiquarian and anglophile - was in many ways a writer of Neo-Gothic literature just as much of SF. He may have used newer ideas of the cosmos in his writing, but the core mood and themes are spot-on Gothic. Gloom, degeneration, isolated places where evil can fester, and forces that stymie mankind's attempts at rationality. Instead of a curse on the land, it's a Colour Out Of Space. Instead of ghosts, it might be invisible psychic parasites from another dimension. While the family may have hereditary madness because of some earlier generation's sin, in this case that sin my involve interbreeding with some cosmic horror or terror from the primordial deep. That kind of thing.
    H.P Lovecraft's Herbert West–Reanimator comes to my mind.

And some parts of Robert W. Chambers' The King in Yellow, as inspiration for the Malkavians. And many of the stories in the book are good for the Toreadors and love in general.
    Last edited by Muad'Dib; 09-02-2017, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurkhal View Post
      I got a sudden itch for the Victorian Age and so put a bunch of games into my computer from Steam, dragged out books on the subject and got hold of Victorian Age for VtM. But when using the search function I couldn't find much discussion about this gameline. There were some to be sure but not that much.
      They have a lot of discussion about it on the recently resurrected Shadownessence forum: http://shadownessence.org/index.php?...victorian-age/

Comment

Originally posted by Malkavian87 View Post

They have a lot of discussion about it on the recently resurrected Shadownessence forum: http://shadownessence.org/index.php?...victorian-age/
        I thought that site had died years ago. Thanks for the info on it rising from torpor.

Comment

i think the alan's moore masterpiece From hell wasn't indicated.
          I you don't know run to your local shop to buy the dvd copy then burn it and go to read the graphic novel.
          It's about Jack the ripper with a reinterpretation of the character as a free-masonic serial killer who did symbolic killing to summon amon-baal the god of the freemasons. Said like that it's seem like a bad scenario for mage but in fact everything is (very) well documented and give a very good glimpse of the era. A must read.

Comment

Yes, From Hell, by Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell is really good. Especially the massive amount of footnotes in the back, and the one chapter that's just a walking tour of occult London. (The movie adaption is skippable. Hollywood just don't seem to really get Moore's work.)

I also highly recommend Anne Perry's mystery novels. She does two main series, one about Thomas and Charlotte Pitt starting in 1881 with The Cater Street Hangman, and the second about William Monk starting in 1856 with The Face of a Stranger. Both offer a (to me) fascinating look at London at two different time periods, including various levels of society and especially how it comes across for women.

I'm also a fan of George MacDonald Fraser's Flashman novels. While tonally they don't really fit the World of Darkness, there's an interesting level of historical detail about various places and events in the mid-19th century. The main character is essentially an ass (it helps that when I read I hear his narration in the voice of Michael Caine) and almost a pastiche of Roger Moore era James Bond (this may explain how Fraser ended up writing the script for Octopussy).

Caleb Carr's The Alienist is really good.

Also, The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker.

American Gothic by Robert Bloch (of Psycho fame) is inspired by the H. H. Holmes murders, which are detailed in Erik Larson's excellent non-fiction work Devil in the White City.

Film wise for the period, I'll offer up The Wolfman (2010), Crimson Peak (2015), Zulu (1964), Dead Man (1995), and The Ghost & The Darkness (1996).

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
            Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

There's a Victorian Age Vampire novel trilogy that does an excellent job of depicting the setting, the various courts, clans, and major players of the day. Great reading as well!

Comment

This is kind of a minor question so I decided to not open a new thread for it. But does anyone know if the supplement "Sunset Empires" have much information on Korean and Manchuria for the period around the turn between the 19th and 20th century? I have a slight fascination with the Russo-Japanese war and was thinking of running a campaign of some sorts during that period and in that area, but haven't decided yet on the exact form and system. Presumably if I go with Vampire it would be with the players as Russian Kindred moving in to claim dominion in Russia's possessions in that area.

Comment

Now I've gotten Sunset Empires but as I feared it wasn't much material covering the exact topic I had in mind. But there are some other goodies on the other hands.

Comment

Working...
                  X