Vampires in latin-america

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vampires in latin-america

Are there vampire clans in Latin America? I know there are not that much werewolves (but some other Fera like the Jaguar-people or the Pumonca). But, are there clans of vampires in Latin America that are mentioned in any of the material?

"Tlacique"

Comment

I could have sworn there was a passage somewhere in the old Sabbat book that they were being death marched out of South and Latin America by an unseen foe who was doing a bang up job of terrifying vampires out of those lands.

Comment

You also have: http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Pisanob

But for the most part it doesn't seem to be that much different from Anglo-America. All the same Clans and Sects have a presence.

Comment

Kindred of the 13 clans, some splinter branches and bloodlines here & there, possibly some elders or methuselahs (precolumbian, or foreigners "gone native") playing ancestor spirit/blood god in some weird places in the jungles, isolated mountains, isles or some such.

Possibly a higher presence of Lasombra antitribu than in other parts of the world thanks to the strong iberian influence on latin america's colonization, happening almost in parallel with the stormy period of the Anarch Revolt, their clan's fall and the Sects' formation.

In my own games i mixed up crypto-archeology about phoenicians in Brasil and legends from the colonial era about tribes of man-eating albinos leaving in cave complexes in the mountains of Serra da Mantiqueira in a Lost World style subterranean empire under the mountains ruled by a Nosferatu methuselah, its brood and their revenant priesthood, for the sake of a deliciously gonzo example.

That said, i have also done far more vanilla treatments of brasilian cities in my games, like basically reskining Chicago, Gary, Milwaukee & LA as Rio de Janeiro and cities of the Baixada Fluminense & metropolitan area, among other things.
          Last edited by Baaldam; 06-16-2017, 10:53 AM.

Comment

I have expanded the KJ into the 'native' vampires of every continent while the Kindred are the 'invader' vampires that originated in the High Umbra. The Kindred first arrived in West Asia and, after destroying the native vampires, spread to Europe, North Africa, and South Asia. While they were able to destroy that native vampires of Europe, the native vampires of South Asia (the KJ) and North Africa (the Laibon) resisted, preventing them from spreading in large numbers to East Asia, Southeast Asia, or Sub-Saharan Africa. After the discovery of the Americas by the Europeans, the native vampires were destroyed along with the Native Americans. South America possesses large concentrations of native vampires that continue to wage a guerrilla war against the Kindred.

Comment

One of the BJD chapters mentions "legacies" of kindred native to South America. They just went into some kind of collective torpor, when the first Europeans arrived.

Comment

Nothing specific to the subcontinent, but there are a large number of examples of precolumbian Kindred

1: Menele in the Incan empire and any presumed childer he made since then.
                2: Nosferatu and Gangrel methuselahs able to survive the transcontinental crossing due to Animalism
                3: Pochtli, a mysterious Aztec Necromancer of presumed Cappadocian lineage that was in Tenochtitlan when the Conquistadors arrived. Now the founder of a bloodline within Clan Giovanni
                4: Lasombra wandered around North America in ancient prehistory and embraced at least one childe.
                5: The Tlacique, who are presumed descendant from Setites.
                6: Numerous other Aztec blood gods presumed to be ancient, openly ruling Methuselahs.

Comment

Given than most culture here in South America is either dominated or at least intermixed with that of our European settlers, I'd say the classic 13 clans are the norm. We've played it that way back in the day, albeit with some modifications: for example, my city, Montevideo (capital of Uruguay), is so small (1.9 million people in the metro area) compared to other regional capitals (Buenos Aires, in neighboring Argentina has 12.7 million in its metro area), that we made Montevideo a vassal city to the Buenos Aires princehood.

Comment

Originally posted by lordmagnusen View Post
                    Given than most culture here in South America is either dominated or at least intermixed with that of our European settlers, I'd say the classic 13 clans are the norm. We've played it that way back in the day, albeit with some modifications: for example, my city, Montevideo (capital of Uruguay), is so small (1.9 million people in the metro area) compared to other regional capitals (Buenos Aires, in neighboring Argentina has 12.7 million in its metro area), that we made Montevideo a vassal city to the Buenos Aires princehood.
                    Sounds interesting... What clans were in your game?

Comment

We didn't want to limit players in their choices, at least within the Camarilla and the more common independents. It was a long, multi-year game with different players rotating in and out, and some of us changing characters along the way.

Among the player characters I remember Brujah, Gangrel (I played one), Malk (played one too), Toreador, Nosferatu, Ventrue, Ravnos, and I eventually played one of the rarest choices, a Lasombra anti. Nobody chose to play Tremere, but the ST ruled (and I agreed) that they had a chantry in another city in the country, Piriapolis, built by a real-world industrialist and alleged alchemist. We also had some Giovanni presence, due to the strong Italian immigrant presence in the country. The Camarilla in Montevideo ruled the rest of the country, with a sort of viceroy (I don't remember the actual title we used) for it named by the Prince in Buenos Aires.

At one point, the Sabbat invaded the cities, and our characters were instrumental in changing the tide of battle (of course). The Prince and many of the Primogens in Buenos Aires were killed, and after the dust settled, the new Prince was an NPC in our city, so the tables were turned.

I must add that Uruguay is pretty particular when compared to the rest of South America, in that we don't have a strong presence of Native cultural groups, we only had some roaming bands of native people, and they were pretty much wiped out (they remain genetically present in our population, but we don't have the same level of cultural awareness regarding our native people that most of the continent does). We're usually regarded as one of the more "European" countries in the continent, so that might have influenced our game.
                      Last edited by lordmagnusen; 06-20-2017, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Alexandra (who is, most probably, Callisti y Callisto, 4th generation, sire of Rafael de Corazon and Inconnu), is the Prince of Buenos Aires.

-Saga

Comment

I remember now, the Prince remained in Buenos Aires, but it was a different one, and that one left my Lasombra Anti as viceroy in Montevideo when the campaign ended. We didn't have any books that mentioned South America back then, or at least, we didn't have access to them in late 90s - early 2000s (pre 2002) Uruguay.

Comment

Curiously, the second oldest Chinatown/Barrio Chino in the Americas is in Lima, Peru. (Mexico City has the oldest.) So, in addition to Chinese-Peruvian (and Venezuelan and Columbian and …) Kindred, Kuei-jin who pre-date the Great Leap Outward are likely.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                            Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

That's right, No One. There is also a big Japanese-descended community in Brazil, I think it's the largest outside of Japan. I don't remember if there were Japanese Kuei-Jin, so forgive me if there's no point of contact.

Comment

Working...
                              X