Vampires in latin-america

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lordmagnusen View Post
    That's right, No One. There is also a big Japanese-descended community in Brazil, I think it's the largest outside of Japan. I don't remember if there were Japanese Kuei-Jin, so forgive me if there's no point of contact.
    Yes, there are Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Nepalese, Vietnamese, Laosian, Cambodian, Malaysian, Thai, Burmese, Bangladeshi, Indian, and Indonesian Kuei-Jin, and Filipino as well IIRC. And anywhere people from said countries have settled, there's the off chance a Kuei-jin or three might pop up.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Then Brazil most likely has Kuei-jin. As of 2009 there were approximately 1.6 million people of Japanese origin in the country. Now, Uruguay has tiny populations of Japanese, Chinese, and Korean people, so I doubt there are any Kuei-jin here.

Comment

I find the over all ethnic diversity of Latin America to be endlessly fascinating, both from a cultural standpoint and also in terms of Vampire/WoD characters. Argentina, for example, has had sizable groups from Italy, Germany and Russia, as well as interesting curiosities like South African Boers who didn't want to live under British rule. The Triple Frontier region (of Paraguay, Argentina and Brasil) has a large population of Lebanese and Taiwanese, among others. Then there's the Brasilian Confederatos, die hard Confederates who came there after the US Civil War. Which makes for an interesting background for a Brasilian ancilla or elder.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
          I find the over all ethnic diversity of Latin America to be endlessly fascinating, both from a cultural standpoint and also in terms of Vampire/WoD characters. Argentina, for example, has had sizable groups from Italy, Germany and Russia, as well as interesting curiosities like South African Boers who didn't want to live under British rule. The Triple Frontier region (of Paraguay, Argentina and Brasil) has a large population of Lebanese and Taiwanese, among others. Then there's the Brasilian Confederatos, die hard Confederates who came there after the US Civil War. Which makes for an interesting background for a Brasilian ancilla or elder.
          Not to mention a bunch of japanese who settled in the states of Pará and São Paulo in the early 20th century, a number of central european populations from before german unification or soon after it, french artists,scientists, philosophers, soldiers for whom things during the Bourbon Restoration would be too hot due to past napoleonic ties, among a few noteworthy highlights from Brasil. Its neighbors have certainly as much if not more to offer in variety and hotspots for an enterprising ST to toy and mess with.

Comment

Asian Latin Americans are still uncommon, at around 2% of the population, though Asian Peruvians may be up to 20% of the population (which suggests that Peru would likely be the nexus of KJ activity in Latin America since there are nearly twice as many Asians in Peru as there are in Brazil). Only the USA and Canada have larger Asian populations (18 million and 5 million respectively).

Comment

One has to think that really isolated pockets of KJ's wouldn't really be a community. The dominate Kindred in such areas likely kill them as quickly as they find them. Also, with no community to train them, KJ's who spawn in such areas will likely never make it out of the ravenous zombie stage of their existence. They'd likely be mistaken for wights and put down as a threat to the masquerade.

Comment

Originally posted by CajunKhan View Post
                One has to think that really isolated pockets of KJ's wouldn't really be a community. The dominate Kindred in such areas likely kill them as quickly as they find them. Also, with no community to train them, KJ's who spawn in such areas will likely never make it out of the ravenous zombie stage of their existence. They'd likely be mistaken for wights and put down as a threat to the masquerade.
                IIRC, the KotE Companion(?) discussed "orphaned" Kuei-jin who popped up outside the Middle Kingdom for one reason or another, including ones who get pass the ignorant walking corpse stage and sometimes even end up with Humanity instead of a Dharma.

As for the local Kindred, I suspect they're just as likely to mistake such a creature for a Caitiff or some obscure Asian bloodline they've heard about from a friend of a friend. (Gaki, Nagaraja, etc.) As long as she acknowledges the Prince and obeys the rules, she's just like every other vampire.

Comment

I think that places like Peru, with an Asian population of 3.5-5 million could support a proper KJ Court.

Comment

IIRC, the KotE Companion(?) discussed "orphaned" Kuei-jin who popped up outside the Middle Kingdom for one reason or another, including ones who get pass the ignorant walking corpse stage and sometimes even end up with Humanity instead of a Dharma.

As for the local Kindred, I suspect they're just as likely to mistake such a creature for a Caitiff or some obscure Asian bloodline they've heard about from a friend of a friend. (Gaki, Nagaraja, etc.) As long as she acknowledges the Prince and obeys the rules, she's just like every other vampire.
                    How? Who's going to train them if they spawn in an area with no adult KJ's? I mean, to a Kindred they would appear to simply be a wight. A wight with no known sire, and therefore likely a caitiff or even some Sabbat who snuck in and then lost the last of his humanity before he could do much. What could possibly motivate them to capture the "wight" and train it in humanity?

Comment

It's been too long since I've looked at any of my KotE books, so I can't say with any certainty, but I think it might've been something along the lines of said orphaned Kuei-jin overcoming their initial stage of ignorance through some sort of epic feat of will and ending up on the path/dharma/whatever of Humanity by default. All I can really remember with any certainty was that the possibility of such a thing was discussed at some point and given guidelines for having it as a character.

Comment

KJ of various Dharma followed the Asian immigrants during the 19th and 20th century, so they would be there for new KJ (at least in nations with sizeable Asian communities like Brazil, Canada, Peru, and the USA).

Comment

It's been too long since I've looked at any of my KotE books, so I can't say with any certainty, but I think it might've been something along the lines of said orphaned Kuei-jin overcoming their initial stage of ignorance through some sort of epic feat of will and ending up on the path/dharma/whatever of Humanity by default. All I can really remember with any certainty was that the possibility of such a thing was discussed at some point and given guidelines for having it as a character.

I think it was in the San Fransisco book. Shadow war? I don't have my books anymore, damned thieves...

Comment

Page 131 of San Francisco.

Comment

South America has probably always deserved its own World of Darkness setting book. For people in the U.S. in particular, there's a colossal blind spot when it comes to the continent south of us, largely because we have a long and ongoing history of our government acting to stamp our democracy and national sovereignty whenever they threaten to manifest there and our news agencies and school textbooks refuse to cover it in order to protect the influential guilty. White Wolf's games have always treated the continent like the "Darkest Africa" of the old Hollywood serials, because the writers literally know nothing about the continent, just like the rest of us. Maybe the new White Wolf will accept pitches from South American authors who can do the region justice, just like they've said they'll do with the Far East.

Comment

Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post
                                Page 131 of San Francisco.
                                Odd, as I don't think I ever even owned that book. I wonder where I read about it then? Curious.

Comment

Working...
                                X