X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DrakeEpsilon
    started a topic Vampires in latin-america

Vampires in latin-america

Are there vampire clans in Latin America? I know there are not that much werewolves (but some other Fera like the Jaguar-people or the Pumonca). But, are there clans of vampires in Latin America that are mentioned in any of the material?

• Ravnos
    replied
    Originally posted by Hideamuro View Post
    Nothing specific to the subcontinent, but there are a large number of examples of precolumbian Kindred

1: Menele in the Incan empire and any presumed childer he made since then.
    2: Nosferatu and Gangrel methuselahs able to survive the transcontinental crossing due to Animalism
    3: Pochtli, a mysterious Aztec Necromancer of presumed Cappadocian lineage that was in Tenochtitlan when the Conquistadors arrived. Now the founder of a bloodline within Clan Giovanni
    4: Lasombra wandered around North America in ancient prehistory and embraced at least one childe.
    5: The Tlacique, who are presumed descendant from Setites.
    6: Numerous other Aztec blood gods presumed to be ancient, openly ruling Methuselahs.
    Cool list. Since it's a list of known examples I'll add that Shaitan is a known example of precolumbian blood god.

Leave a comment:

• Windthin
    replied
    Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

Yes, there are Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Nepalese, Vietnamese, Laosian, Cambodian, Malaysian, Thai, Burmese, Bangladeshi, Indian, and Indonesian Kuei-Jin, and Filipino as well IIRC. And anywhere people from said countries have settled, there's the off chance a Kuei-jin or three might pop up.
    In the late 1800s and early 1900s there was a sizable influx from across the Pacific, similar to what happened on the west coast of the U.S. The Brazilian population of Japanese alone is so large that many in Japan consider them their own minority, and the media has often blamed Brazilian-born Japanese who migrate to Japan for crime; Japan can be rather xenophobic at times and has some curious caste systems.

Anyhow, it's fairly easy to establish a KJ presence there, though I note I am resurrecting this thread after the new and mysterious 5E South American groups.

Leave a comment:

• Aya Tari
    replied
    That's like saying that there is no difference between people in the USA and people in Peru. If nothing else, there are cultural differences.

Leave a comment:

• Iguazu
    replied
    There's no reason to think the vampires in South America are any different than their counter-parts in North-America.

Leave a comment:

• No One of Consequence
    replied
    I recommend The Lunatic Express by Carl Hoffman for those interested in a different take on Latin America (and other places). The first section involves him taking a Cuban Airways flight from Havana to Bogota, then a bus from Bogota to Lima, and from there over the Andes to work his way through the Amazon by boat. The rest of the book deals with parts of Africa, India and China. All in all a rather fascinating read.

Leave a comment:

• Baaldam
    replied
    Originally posted by False Epiphany View Post
    Latin America hasn't received too much coverage, but the region got a lengthy writeup in the oft-overlooked A World of Darkness: 2nd edition. Some of the book's elements are now a little dated, but much like Chicago by Night, it was fantastic for its time and is still a goldmine for GMs who want to run games in the setting. I particularly liked how sect affiliation meant less in South America and there were cities where Toreador and Lasombra openly rubbed elbows. The Revised-era writers tried to backpedal that during the few occasions when they addressed South America (it's actually an uneasy detente and the Sabbat are plotting to take over!), which I thought was too bad. AWoD's authors made a clear effort to keep the region conceptually distinct from North America and it really showed. (In that same vein, I also liked how they made sect affiliation more relevant in Central America and irrelevant in a different way in the Caribbean, vs. a lazier approach of lumping everything south of Mexico into "Latin America.")
    I did like how 2e A World of Darkness took the time to make the Caribbean more than Haiti and setites fighting over control of local voodoo cults/politics there like in 1e, but must admit the other parts about south and central America didn't make much of an impression on me, overall ghettos & guerrillas stuff, with some "exotic shapeshifter" peppered in for color. Probably far from a fair summation, as i haven't read it for years, so maybe it's time to reacquaint myself a bit, for good and for ill.

Leave a comment:

• Magus
    replied
    I saw in the beginning of Vampire that South America was a place with limited information for Vampire (and other lines of Word of Darkness too). Then, I wrote several supplements around the continent: Argentina, Chile, Peru, Venezuela and Brazil.

Leave a comment:

• No One of Consequence
    replied
    I think there was a push by a few people back in the revised era to do a World of Magic and perhaps a World of Blood or something, similar to A World of Rage, but I don't think it ever got any traction.

I'd always kind of wanted a Rio by Night book.

Leave a comment:

• False Epiphany
    replied
    Latin America hasn't received too much coverage, but the region got a lengthy writeup in the oft-overlooked A World of Darkness: 2nd edition. Some of the book's elements are now a little dated, but much like Chicago by Night, it was fantastic for its time and is still a goldmine for GMs who want to run games in the setting. I particularly liked how sect affiliation meant less in South America and there were cities where Toreador and Lasombra openly rubbed elbows. The Revised-era writers tried to backpedal that during the few occasions when they addressed South America (it's actually an uneasy detente and the Sabbat are plotting to take over!), which I thought was too bad. AWoD's authors made a clear effort to keep the region conceptually distinct from North America and it really showed. (In that same vein, I also liked how they made sect affiliation more relevant in Central America and irrelevant in a different way in the Caribbean, vs. a lazier approach of lumping everything south of Mexico into "Latin America.")

I've always thought that the 2e A World of Darkness is one of the game's overlooked gems, as well as a missed opportunity on later writers' parts. It came out fairly early in the game's life cycle and explored a lot of elements that could have benefited from being further developed by later writers. It's still one of my favorite Vampire books.
    Last edited by False Epiphany; 07-15-2017, 10:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Aya Tari
    replied
    There are mentions of the phenomenon in KotE and KotE Companion, if I remember correctly.

Leave a comment:

• No One of Consequence
    replied
    Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post
    Page 131 of San Francisco.
    Odd, as I don't think I ever even owned that book. I wonder where I read about it then? Curious.

Leave a comment:

• Reasor
    replied
    South America has probably always deserved its own World of Darkness setting book. For people in the U.S. in particular, there's a colossal blind spot when it comes to the continent south of us, largely because we have a long and ongoing history of our government acting to stamp our democracy and national sovereignty whenever they threaten to manifest there and our news agencies and school textbooks refuse to cover it in order to protect the influential guilty. White Wolf's games have always treated the continent like the "Darkest Africa" of the old Hollywood serials, because the writers literally know nothing about the continent, just like the rest of us. Maybe the new White Wolf will accept pitches from South American authors who can do the region justice, just like they've said they'll do with the Far East.

Leave a comment:

• Aya Tari
    replied
    Page 131 of San Francisco.

Leave a comment:

• The_Livewire
    replied
    Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
    It's been too long since I've looked at any of my KotE books, so I can't say with any certainty, but I think it might've been something along the lines of said orphaned Kuei-jin overcoming their initial stage of ignorance through some sort of epic feat of will and ending up on the path/dharma/whatever of Humanity by default. All I can really remember with any certainty was that the possibility of such a thing was discussed at some point and given guidelines for having it as a character.

I think it was in the San Fransisco book. Shadow war? I don't have my books anymore, damned thieves...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X