How do you play Gargoyles?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you play Gargoyles?

It's a 500 lbs winged demon of stone without access to Obfuscate.

How the heck do you play one of these and keep the masquerade in check?

I've never used them. I've never even seen them used. The Tremere are plenty nasty enough on their own. If I want them to have back-up, I can just give them ghouls with machine guns. Plus, the antagonists in my stories tend to be human thugs, Inquisition guys with small amounts of true faith, ghouls, the regular clans, that sort of thing. I've never found a need for gargoyles. I've literally seen more vozhd than gargoyles.

Comment

Originally posted by CajunKhan View Post
      I've never used them. I've never even seen them used. The Tremere are plenty nasty enough on their own. If I want them to have back-up, I can just give them ghouls with machine guns. Plus, the antagonists in my stories tend to be human thugs, Inquisition guys with small amounts of true faith, ghouls, the regular clans, that sort of thing. I've never found a need for gargoyles. I've literally seen more vozhd than gargoyles.

Ah, I was more curious about playing as a Gargoyle (free one), rather than having them as an extra. At the moment, they're one of my favorite bloodlines from Masquerade and I was hoping some players might have had advice on how to play one without blowing the masquerade open with C4.
      Last edited by Nyrufa; 07-11-2017, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Generally, I buy Obfuscate as an Out of Clan Discipline.

Comment

Spend freebies on Obfuscate. Once you are at Ob 2, Gargoyles should become acceptably viable.

Comment

Obfuscate 2 is obvious choice, though Visceratika 1 increase Stealth by 5, so it is a good second. Another thing to consider is that most people do not look up at night, so a Gargoyle with Flight 5 (quite possible at character creation) is going to have many advatages. If they are not worried about their Humanity, they can pounce on humans, feed on them, and dispose of the body where it will be weeks or months before it is discovered. Even if they do worry about their Humanity, they can easily slip into the bedrooms of people and feed lightly while they sleep. They can also evade the local authorities by flying away, though they should have a safe hiding place within two hours of their hunting grounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post
              Another thing to consider is that most people do not look up at night, so a Gargoyle with Flight 5 (quite possible at character creation) is going to have many advatages.
              Traffic cameras and such are also pointed downward, so yeah...

Anyway I always had a hard time picturing them as playable. They'd just be excluded from too much interaction with the world. Even Noferatu could pass as a human, if wearing enough clothes. Gargoyles...

Though, I loved the cartoon, so yeah, might play one anyway.

If nothing worked, then let's think!

Comment

Ask your Tremere master what to do, of course.

Comment

I come around to liking Gargoyles quite a bit in the past six months and have developed some interesting house rules concerning them.

1. Free Gargoyles are much more common than any of the other Kindred suspect and their populations equal that of any of the Clans.

2. Gargoyles do not burn in sunlight but, instead, turn to stone. Each turn in sunlight inflicts a cumulative -1 to Dexterity to the Gargoyle, which is healed as aggravated damage, and the Gargoyle turns into stone (entering into torpor) when their penalty equals their Dexterity. They gain five extra health levels and five extra dice of soak while stone. In order to reverse the transformation, the Gargoyle must be feed five points of blood from another Gargoyle, though their time in torpor depends on their Humanity/Path.

3. Gargoyles have multiple Bloodlines, depending on the origin of their sire, which determines their exact Disciplines other than Flight.

Comment

I basically play them as Prometheans.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Playing a Gargoyle is often more about how you play the game or where it is set, than it is about the gargoyle themselves.

​For instance a Free Gargoyle and Gangrel coterie out in the wilds won't draw that much attention. Most of the game will probably be about dealing with lupines or other supernaturals in their territory. No real interactions with the masquerade beyond no witnesses.

I find that Loyalist Gargoyles are great for players who are going to be absent off and on. Basically the Tremere masters provide food and shelter for the gargoyle and thus the role of body guard is the only thing to focus on. Loyalist Gargoyles also have very simplistic build designs and usually equally simple motivations, which means a random player can drop back into game without having to explain much about what the character has been up to in the mean time. If they are needed for a scene, the ST just uses them like a tank NPC and ensures they don't die. This build design restriction can be a fun character for those who want a challenge.

​Obfuscate allows you to go most places a normal vampire could access, but until that point the Gargoyle player should think about movement and verticality in a tactical fashion. Kind of like how a long range sniper supports their squad without being seen. In fact if you give a radio head set and a 50 cal. rifle to a gargoyle, then you have quite the mobile fire support. It can tail you from high in the air or from roof top to roof top. Give the Gargoyle a satchel of hand grenades and things get a bit over board in short order.

​As for how to play a Free Gargoyle in a city, then you have to play to your strengths. If you are near a shore line, then the gargoyle can make a good living as a body disposal service, you call a cell phone, transfer funds and send the pick up location. A few minutes later the gargoyle swoops in and carries off the body to be dumped at sea many miles off shore. This works especially well if you have say a Nosferatu coterie member who can handle some of the transactions or provide backup.

​Alternatively in a pre-airplane flight time setting, gargoyles would have been amazing couriers given how fast they can eventually fly. They are basically flying armored trucks for the transfer of goods or single prisoners. Though a small coterie of free gargoyles makes for quite the mercenary force to have drop into a castle or other fortified area before annoying things like radar or AA-guns were invented.

Comment

Really depends on the game in question. The only one I remember was in a 1700's game where interacting with other Kindred was the primary focus. If you are in certain time periods of location, the strictness of how the masquerade works differs, can get away with different stuff. And how often you need to walk among mortals will vary in some ways.

Comment

Thanks for the tips, guys. Except the one about asking the blood mages for advice.

Sounds like taking a couple points of Obfuscate at the start is a pretty obvious choice for rectifying the situation.

The idea I was thinking of is the Gargoyle was embraced properly by another Gargoyle and ends up joining the Anarchs while following the role of the amnesiac hero. They fight for freedom from the Camarilla, while also trying to piece together clues about who they used to be.

Comment

If Obfuscate feels too much like a way of cheating the bloodline's curse, there's always Protean. Not every Vampire does a lot of talking to humans.

Comment

How is Obfuscate cheating? If you have to possess three levels in a Discipline to circumvent a Clan Weakness, that is a significant investment, especially out of Clan.

Comment

Working...
                              X