Indispensable Mundane Items for Kindred

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indispensable Mundane Items for Kindred

I fondly remember cha-gen in old editions of D&D, when I would outfit a new pc. I still don't know why I needed a ten foot pole, or what "iron rations" even are.

By comparison, in VtM, mundane equipment tends to get glossed over in favor of a more narrative style. eg: "You say your Ventrue has a copy of the Financial Times in his briefcase? Okay, cool."

But, what are the most important items of mundane utility a vampire PC should possess, and make doubly sure the ST agrees ahead of time you always carry? I'm not talking the fantastical or uber-powerful. Yes, a sack full of diamonds, or an expertly honed sword would both make un-life easier, but that's not what I'm asking.

I'm thinking more like one of those flashlights you wear as a headband, since vampires tend to be, you know, nocturnal.

Or, a disposable cell-phone with a fake registration to call the ghouls.

Or, a really good make-up kit, to cover that pallor.

Or, rolls of aluminum foil and duct tape, to light-proof windows.

In other words, stuff you can buy at a big box store.

What's on your PC's equipment list?

This is what my old Ventrue "Troubleshooter" had always with him: Pocket Knife, Cigarettes (good to fake visible breath in winter and good to have for opening conversations), an official looking ID card to hold into faces when you claim to be an inspector or something, duct tape, salt and a roll of garbage bags. Never underestimate how useful a garbage bag can be!

Comment

Never leave house without a military folding shovel. It fits in your pocket, it smashes heads, it digs you a shallow grave to rest for a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Davesknd View Post
        This is what my old Ventrue "Troubleshooter" had always with him: Pocket Knife, Cigarettes (good to fake visible breath in winter and good to have for opening conversations), an official looking ID card to hold into faces when you claim to be an inspector or something, duct tape, salt and a roll of garbage bags. Never underestimate how useful a garbage bag can be!
        Garbage bags, excellent.

ID card is brilliant!

Salt? Does your city have icy roads?

Comment

A lock-pick. Countless replays of Vampire: Bloodlines taught me that. Never skip the tutorial, if for no other reason than getting a lock-pick easy.

Comment

While you don't have to take it everywhere, a fire extinguisher is vital.

Also, pepper spray and maybe a taser so you can non-lethally neutralize some threats without risking the masquerade.

Comment

Not too long ago, I played a Lasombra antitribu who was a former KGB agent. He was a handler, but had done his share of field work and paid his dues. Mental primaries, so he had good Intelligence and Wits, and dots all over the place in espionage-y spots. He always carried around a little goodie bag of completely mundane everyday items he'd "procure" (read, pocket) when out and about.

The things he'd never, ever leave home without were a roll of duct tape, a handful of paper clips, a couple P-38 can openers, a bobby pin or two, a travel bottle of kerosene, a Zippo and a magnesium all-weather starter, a pocket knife, no fewer than two complete and unopened MRE's, a straight-head screwdriver, a roll of aluminum foil, and a zip-loc bag full of styofoam packing peanuts.

[Shit, I forgot the pack of #2 pencils, a couple grease pencils, and the travel bottle of hydrogen peroxide.]

The other players, within a game session, dubbed him "the lovechild of MacGuyver and Michael Westen" thanks to the antics I'd pull.
              Last edited by Theodrim; 07-24-2017, 08:44 PM.

Comment

For mine, the one must-have is dirt sewn into the pockets and lining of his suits.

Comment

I'd go with an airtight bag of fresh clothes. Comes in handy when you were forced to spend the day buried at the bottom of a pond.

And I just remembered that in Midnight Siege they talked about this Kindred that always carried around a briefcase. It was impossibly heavy cause it was filled with massive pieces of metal. So when the fighting started he could fling those around with Potence.

Comment

Nicely folded A4 pieces of paper to make notes (or pictures), give out notes, and leave notes at a location. Blank A4s folded in specific ways could be used to leave messages, and torn up paper could be used to mark pathways.

A notebook.

Any book - to be able to read so as to not look suspicious or out of place etc.
                    (of course the book(s) can't be one(s) that would attract attention)
                    Last edited by Muad'Dib; 07-25-2017, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nosimplehiway View Post

Garbage bags, excellent.

ID card is brilliant!

Salt? Does your city have icy roads?

I kinda smeared on the sheet. It was chalk, not salt...

Comment

Okay, chalk makes a lot more sense.

I was trying to decide whether your ST introducing conflict with a Wereslug pack into the game was awesome or ridiculous. Their Crinos form would, obviously, be amazing! But if I try to think about kinfolk, I get a little queasy.

Comment

Originally posted by Nosimplehiway View Post
                          Okay, chalk makes a lot more sense.

I was trying to decide whether your ST introducing conflict with a Wereslug pack into the game was awesome or ridiculous. Their Crinos form would, obviously, be amazing! But if I try to think about kinfolk, I get a little queasy.
                          Well, a wereshark ate my car... does that count?
                          Though I will use the wereslug in a future game... that is just too awesome

Comment

There are lots of options...

Comment

Reading all this, I'm surprised my neonate has survived as long as she has...usually all she has on her at a given moment in terms of mundane items is some cash, her phone (a flip phone), a pocket knife, a little notebook and pen, and a couple hair bands...may need to start adding duct tape to that list. And paperclips.

Comment

Working...
                              X