Indispensable Mundane Items for Kindred

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Theodrim View Post
    Not too long ago, I played a Lasombra antitribu who was a former KGB agent. He was a handler, but had done his share of field work and paid his dues. Mental primaries, so he had good Intelligence and Wits, and dots all over the place in espionage-y spots. He always carried around a little goodie bag of completely mundane everyday items he'd "procure" (read, pocket) when out and about.

The things he'd never, ever leave home without were a roll of duct tape, a handful of paper clips, a couple P-38 can openers, a bobby pin or two, a travel bottle of kerosene, a Zippo and a magnesium all-weather starter, a pocket knife, no fewer than two complete and unopened MRE's, a straight-head screwdriver, a roll of aluminum foil, and a zip-loc bag full of styofoam packing peanuts.

[Shit, I forgot the pack of #2 pencils, a couple grease pencils, and the travel bottle of hydrogen peroxide.]

The other players, within a game session, dubbed him "the lovechild of MacGuyver and Michael Westen" thanks to the antics I'd pull.
    Would you mind explaining a few of the less obvious uses?

Comment

-Extra shirt and pants. You never know when your feeding will be sloppier than you intended, and you need to not look like a horror show.

-Handkerchief. Also for cleaning up blood.

-Ski mask and gloves. For when you're a Nosferatu or other hideous Kindred, and you need to make sure you aren't seen (and don't have or trust Obfuscate 3).

-Several rolls of small change. If you're a Ravnos with Charity as your compulsion (assuming you're using DAV20 rules, that let you take a virtue as your weakness), it helps to have cash in small, easily distributed amounts with which to satisfy that habit. Drop a few coins in the charity slot, in the take-a-penny-leave-a-penny bucket at the liquor store, in the hands of the dirty transient, on some guy's desk, etc. Don't want to be caught flat-footed and have to drop a twenty dollar bill. Those coins can also be tossed individually to create distracting noises. Sure, you're a Ravnos, so you could just make an illusion, but that costs Willpower points. A nickel is way cheaper.

-Handcuffs. For binding the hands of people, and maybe tying other things together.

-A cane. It has some limited utility for manipulating objects at a distance. More importantly, it can be used as both accessory and melee weapon. If it's a wooden cane, you can break it in half over your knee and get an instant stake or two.

Comment

2-gallon can of diesel with a goodly amount of styrofoam inside to turn it into a gel. And a lighter.

Comment

A reflective survival blanket

Comment

A small, hand held mirror is really helpful. You can use it to test if there's anyone obfuscating around, or if someone's a lasombra. (Or a smartphone for those who aren't old fashioned. Just use the camera app and panorama that shit)

Comment

Originally posted by Shushu View Post
              A small, hand held mirror is really helpful. You can use it to test if there's anyone obfuscating around, or if someone's a lasombra. (Or a smartphone for those who aren't old fashioned. Just use the camera app and panorama that shit)

That's really a nice one.

Comment

Originally posted by Shushu View Post
                That won't work with Obfuscate though. You can only see through that Discipline if you were to rewatch it at a later time: "Even so, the person using, say, her cell phone to record an Obfuscated vampire will still have her mind impacted by the power, and she won’t see the Kindred’s image until she views the video at a later date (if even then)."

Comment

Yeah, Obfuscate is essentially a don't-notice-me spell, and anyone under that spell continues to not notice you whether he's looking directly at you, looking at your reflection, your video-tape, or whatever.

As a result, you could easily get something like, someone records themselves while a Nos walks past, and they don't see him, can't even see him when they play it back, but when they show the video to someone else, that someone else is like, "holy shit, what's that???" and then the original person is like, "what are you talking about? I'm alone in that video" and the new person is like, "are you nuts?? A monster walks right past you!" and then the original person stares really hard at the video and then suddenly BOOM, they can see the Nos, and even remember him walking past them back when the video was originally made.

Comment

Originally posted by CajunKhan View Post
                    Yeah, Obfuscate is essentially a don't-notice-me spell, and anyone under that spell continues to not notice you whether he's looking directly at you, looking at your reflection, your video-tape, or whatever.

As a result, you could easily get something like, someone records themselves while a Nos walks past, and they don't see him, can't even see him when they play it back, but when they show the video to someone else, that someone else is like, "holy shit, what's that???" and then the original person is like, "what are you talking about? I'm alone in that video" and the new person is like, "are you nuts?? A monster walks right past you!" and then the original person stares really hard at the video and then suddenly BOOM, they can see the Nos, and even remember him walking past them back when the video was originally made.
                    I wonder if face recognition software could perform the same task as person number #2 in that scenario. Set up video surveillance around your haven, office, secret meeting spot or whatever. The owner could file a log of people coming and going, and how many were in the room at once. Have facial recognition software count the number of people present and compare the number to the log you have filed. Have it flag any discrepancies.

Of course, the funniest part would be when the elder doing all this realizes his "secret" haven is like a Grand Central Station of invisible vampires. Nosferatu keep accessing his computer to get his netflix code. Two Malks wander around alternately straightening and un-straightening the picture frames. An Assamite cranks the stereo and boogie oogie oogies til he just can't boogie no more, while the elder obliviously sits there reading a book.

All at the same time, without noticing each another.

Comment

I mentioned this thread to a friend and they suggested an item. I would still like some duct tape on the seams. You might need to turn it inside out, so the zippers are inside.

It's used for, ummm, camping in very bright places. Yeah, that's it.

https://www.ebay.com/i/191785664685?...r=490809391959

Comment

Originally posted by Cifer View Post

Would you mind explaining a few of the less obvious uses?
                        The chronicle was over two years ago, so my memory's fuzzy. Most of it just involved making improvised explosives, compromising a fuse box/circuit breaker, or arson, here or there.I got to build a cantenna once in the game, as well as make a foxhole radio to serve as a distraction for a vampire with amped-up Auspex.
                        Last edited by Theodrim; 07-28-2017, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nosimplehiway View Post
                          I fondly remember cha-gen in old editions of D&D, when I would outfit a new pc. I still don't know why I needed a ten foot pole, or what "iron rations" even are.

By comparison, in VtM, mundane equipment tends to get glossed over in favor of a more narrative style. eg: "You say your Ventrue has a copy of the Financial Times in his briefcase? Okay, cool."

But, what are the most important items of mundane utility a vampire PC should possess, and make doubly sure the ST agrees ahead of time you always carry? I'm not talking the fantastical or uber-powerful. Yes, a sack full of diamonds, or an expertly honed sword would both make un-life easier, but that's not what I'm asking.

I'm thinking more like one of those flashlights you wear as a headband, since vampires tend to be, you know, nocturnal.
                          This is a fantastic thread. Kudos to you for posting it. I had never even thought about this before. Congratulations.

Comment

It's hardly mundane, but I'll throw this in too.

In a chronicle way back, I played a Lasombra antitribu whose game was PMC's (different character than the one I mentioned earlier in-thread). Well, more accurately, we was a player in the arms industry, but once the US got into Afghanistan and Iraq, he leveraged his financial resources and military influence to break into private security. The how's and why's are less important than the ace in the hole he brought to the Camarilla's conflict against the Sabbat: a custom-designed weapon purpose-built for fighting vampires.

It was about a three-foot-long reinforced pole; on one end there was a sharpened E-tool blade matched with an ice axe head, with picatinny rails on either side. On the other was a large, quick-release chuck with picatinny rails on the sides of the pole. The E-tool blade could cut and swipe, the ice axe head could stab and disarm, the pole could be used for parrying and for leverage with the melee head, the picatinny rails could mount anything one would assume typical, and the quick-release chuck was there to mount stakes, syringes, injected GPS trackers or RFID chips, and the like. They were standard-issue on "special assignment" to his PMC forces, the most elite of which were ghouled and served as that character's personal bodyguard.

So, basically, it was a high-tech lobo. The character's childe was actually the one who designed it, being more pop culture-savvy than her sire, skiving the idea from World War Z.

Comment

A good van would be very useful. You can move a lot of equipment and people about, its fairly easy to go into its back then cover the windows and sleep out the day and when feeding you can easily drug your victim or start the drinking then chuck them in the back of the van to feed out of sight then use a drug to keep them unconscious and make sure they forget their experience while keeping a drip in them to make sure they recover quickly.

The other thing might be a can of deodorant and a lighter or a small flair. If you're being attacked by another Vampire you can use the flair or fire the deodorant through he lighter to create a little fire ball. Probably won't kill your attacker but with any luck he'll be scared by it and if you both go into a blind panic you just have to hope your run in opposite directions.

Comment

Originally posted by The Direful Spring View Post
                                The other thing might be a can of deodorant and a lighter or a small flair. If you're being attacked by another Vampire you can use the flair or fire the deodorant through he lighter to create a little fire ball. Probably won't kill your attacker but with any luck he'll be scared by it and if you both go into a blind panic you just have to hope your run in opposite directions.
                                That is not a good idea. During a raid on the Sabbat, we had something like that with dragon's breath rounds and it ended with the whole coterie and half the Sabbat going into rotschreck. It's like with a gun under the pillow, it's much more likely that you shoot yourself.

Comment

Working...
                                X