Indispensable Mundane Items for Kindred

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rat_bastard View Post
    You're cold and dead so no matter how hot it is outside a suit Kevlar and nomex lined biker leathers is not going to be uncomfortable. An led headlamp is a godsend if you don't have the right mojo or your opponents have auspex. Always carry a knife. A body bag is lightproof. A taurus judge is one of the easiest pistols to make silver rounds for.
    It's a touch pricey but you could probably coat most weapons and ammo types with silver using silver nitrate and tollen's reagent, I have a few bits and bobs at home I coated this way.

Comment

A taurus judge is one of the easiest pistols to make silver rounds for.
      Honestly, the Taurus Judge is hot garbage. To be able to chamber and fire .45 and .410 shotshells, the rifling is really, really shallow. Makes the thing moderately inaccurate at range with .45, and creates wider/less predictable spread patterns with .410. To get a cloud capable of reliably hitting anything at 5-7 yards (typical personal/home defense ranges) you need to use snake or bird shot which means fuck-all for penetration and stopping power, and using buckshot in the thing is an even worse proposal -- longer barrels means higher muzzle velocity, and the thing's a goddamn snub nose. Your only real option in the .410 range for any kind of meaningful accuracy and stopping power is a sabot slug, which is weapons-grade stupid for obvious reasons (you may as well just be shooting .45).

There's a reason revolvers like the Judge are called snake guns. That's all they're good against. No matter how Taurus markets it as a "defense weapon"; the only people who fall for that shit are gun nuts with tiny dicks who don't actually know a goddamn thing about firearms and ballistics. Moreover, it's heavy as hell and has god-awful form factor, and kicks like a mother. And, this is the final nail, depending upon jurisdiction it'll be classified as a short-barreled shotgun, not a handgun, meaning registration and the requisite paper/e-trails if it's legal at all.

But if you must, I'd stat one out as difficulty 7 to fire regardless of ammo type used, 3 dice of lethal firing .410 and the typical damage (5L?) when firing .45, and a rate of 2. In other words, all you should expect with it is to end up a pile of ash with a $700 MSRP gun.

Here's your alternative.

http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/590-shockwave/
      Last edited by Theodrim; 08-06-2017, 09:54 AM.

Comment

<----- not a snub nose

also my criteria for the gun was "easy pistol to make silver rounds for" not best handgun in the world, being able to load it with with shotgun shells means you can remove the pellets from the .410 and replace them with cut up bracelets and necklaces that you can get friggin anywhere without raising any kind of trouble. So while it is not the greatest gun in creation its versatility allows relatively anyone to carry a weapon good for a variety of purposes (you can get incinerate .410 slugs off the rack if silver is not your thing, or rock salt if you don't want to risk that much humanity) its versitilty and lack of need for a lot of skill dots make it a good tool to have if you don't have a better plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergeant Brother View Post
          A reflective survival blanket

This is a very useful thing for anyone for whom presence or absence of direct sunlight is a matter of unlife and undeath, and I'm surprised that I'm the only one who liked that post as of the time of this posting.

Comment

<----- not a snub nose...a good tool to have if you don't have a better plan.
            First things first, good luck finding the 6.5" tracker barrel on short notice without creating one hell of a legal trail. I'm not even sure it's in production any more, and the ones you can find around if you're looking are from the deprecated 4400 series. That said...

If you don't have a better plan than "look around for a highly uncommon, expensive, inaccurate revolver which has every iota the legal entanglements of a handgun plus some, just because it can fire an incredibly anemic shotshell round, so you can handload broken-down silver jewelry", you ain't looking for one. You'd do better just having a custom silver grip made and trying to beat the werewolf to death with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Theodrim View Post

First things first, good luck finding the 6.5" tracker barrel on short notice without creating one hell of a legal trail. I'm not even sure it's in production any more, and the ones you can find around if you're looking are from the deprecated 4400 series. That said...

If you don't have a better plan than "look around for a highly uncommon, expensive, inaccurate revolver which has every iota the legal entanglements of a handgun plus some, just because it can fire an incredibly anemic shotshell round, so you can handload broken-down silver jewelry", you ain't looking for one. You'd do better just having a custom silver grip made and trying to beat the werewolf to death with it.
              And/or doing the custom silver-loaded cartridge thing with an actual shotgun, which are plentiful as hell. If you're going hunting for werewolves or whatever, you aren't doing it with a pistol.

Comment

Whatever dude, the only state with a restriction on judges is california where it joins the catagory of "any gun ever" and you cannot spit in any gun show around here without hitting a few. The image i just posted was from the Taurus website showing current product.

The judge ticks a few important boxes that make it a useful tool,
                Easy to make silver buckshot? check.
                Off the rack incinderary rounds? Check.
                Non lethal ordinances easy ro obtain? Double check.

The fact that its a snake gun just makes it easier to explain to cops why you keep it in your glove compartment.

As for legal entanglements, you do realise you are playing a vampire in this game right? Let mortals worry about that shit.

Comment

Whatever dude, the only state with a restriction on judges is california where it joins the catagory of "any gun ever" and you cannot spit in any gun show around here without hitting a few. The image i just posted was from the Taurus website showing current product.

The fact that its a snake gun just makes it easier to explain to cops why you keep it in your glove compartment.

As for legal entanglements, you do realise you are playing a vampire in this game right? Let mortals worry about that shit.
                  For silver weapons how useful this is seems to mostly depend on if your story tellers says the ammo has to be solid silver or is fine with it being simply coated in silver. If the later any bullet or buckshot pellet can be coated in silver.

In terms of legal problems it mostly depends on where your game is set. I'm British and most of my groups games are set somewhere in the UK where obtaining a shotgun licence is much easier that anything else, especially pistols that have to be over a certain length and you have to muck about with counter weights and a load of other shit. Sure you can't stick many shotguns you can buy on a simply shotgun licence in your coat pocket but its much easier to get a shotgun licence than to get a full fire arms licence then import a Californian gun. Plus the incendiary rounds are straight up illegal here and i'd imagine would be pretty hard to import illegally. If you're on the war path a petrol bomb would be your best bet.

Comment

Not sure if this counts but my Toreador psychoanalyst has the Addiction flaw, so he always keeps a bottle of alcohol handy: wine, vodka, absinthe, whatever hits his fancy that day, not that he drinks it himself, but with a combination of Presence and his high Subterfuge he could always convince any potential vessel to take a few (or more than a few) shots.

Comment

Whatever dude, the only state with a restriction on judges is california...
                      And any other state with a mandatory or conditional waiting periods for handguns.

...and you cannot spit in any gun show around here without hitting a few...
                      Good luck finding one of those open at night.

Each and every last one of those apply to a goddamn 12-ga. shotgun you can buy off the rack in any Wal-Mart or sporting goods store, easier, cheaper, faster, and without a waiting period in almost every jurisdiction. Hell, I have a place about ten minutes from where I live that I could buy a tactical model Benelli M1 for just as much as I'd put down on a Taurus Judge, and it's a better, more reliable semi-automatic firearm chambered for a more common, more powerful, cheaper round.

Ain't even touching that one. Not even Vermont allows you to concealed carry in your glove compartment if it's loaded.

Comment

You're cold and dead so no matter how hot it is outside a suit Kevlar and nomex lined biker leathers is not going to be uncomfortable.
                        I'd worry about the unnecessary attention more than the heat tbh.

Comment

Honestly, the Taurus Judge is hot garbage. To be able to chamber and fire .45 and .410 shotshells, the rifling is really, really shallow. Makes the thing moderately inaccurate at range with .45, and creates wider/less predictable spread patterns with .410. To get a cloud capable of reliably hitting anything at 5-7 yards (typical personal/home defense ranges) you need to use snake or bird shot which means fuck-all for penetration and stopping power, and using buckshot in the thing is an even worse proposal -- longer barrels means higher muzzle velocity, and the thing's a goddamn snub nose.
                          Ok, its accuracy is not the best but some people shoot clays with them and I can say from experience the accuracy with .45 long colt is straight up not the worst thing ever. Also there are like 4 not snub nose barrel lengths.

Moreover, it's heavy as hell
                          Base model weighs in at a whopping 29 oz, my buddy takes his backpacking. Not tremendously light but you don't need to be a brujah elder to lift one.

And, this is the final nail, depending upon jurisdiction it'll be classified as a short-barreled shotgun, not a handgun, meaning registration and the requisite paper/e-trails if it's legal at all.
                          Going from my experience in the United States the only state that places any meaningful restriction on it is California, as a revolver it tends to get of light on handgun restrictions since it slides under magazine caps, being a revolver. The shorty shotgun you are so hot on is actually heavily restricted or banned in easily 4 times as many states as the judge. But really why is your bloodsucking creature of the night so worried about the legality of their firearms?

First things first, good luck finding the 6.5" tracker barrel on short notice without creating one hell of a legal trail.
                          They can be aqquired over the counter or within a week from nearly any big box outdoors store that sells guns, that makes them fairly common. It's Taurus, they are the McDonald's of guns, they're everywhere.

If yqou don't have a better plan than "look around for a highly uncommon, expensive, inaccurate revolver-
                          $500 msrp for the base model, $700 for long barrell... as for uncommon, I can drive 5 miles and have one today from a big box retailer, so not uncommon. There is also something to be said for the idiot proof nature of a wheelgun.

Originally posted by Bluecho View Post
                          And/or doing the custom silver-loaded cartridge thing with an actual shotgun, which are plentiful as hell. If you're going hunting for werewolves or whatever, you aren't doing it with a pistol.
                          Obviously a completely purpose built setup with all the fiddly little add ons and the custom handle and a caliber designed to take down wooly mammoth is ideal, but those are also larger and more menacing. A judge fits under a coat or in a glove compartment or in a briefcase or in a backpack and is a whole concealment classification smaller (jacket as opposed to trenchcoat) I am thinking tools for a basic 3 discipline dot fresh of the fang neonate, not someone who as a matter of course has better options.

And any other state with a mandatory or conditional waiting periods for handguns.
                          How much of your games is spent filling out fictional paperwork? You're an immortal creature of the night with superpowers.

Good luck finding one of those open at night.
                          Zap Bludegin: Kif! I desire a bangy bangy! Go to the gun show this weekend and buy me this one!
                          Kif the ghoul: *Sighs* Yes my dark prince.

Hell, I have a place about ten minutes from where I live that I could buy a tactical model Benelli M1 for just as much as I'd put down on a Taurus Judge, and it's a better, more reliable semi-automatic firearm chambered for a more common, more powerful, cheaper round.
                          It's also a rifle, which makes it more difficult to carry around. A large part of my consideration was that hiding a pistol is much easier.

Ain't even touching that one. Not even Vermont allows you to concealed carry in your glove compartment if it's loaded.
                          Seriously, you do get that this is a game where you play a vampire right? I'm getting the impression you saw the vampire accountant Steven Root played in Tru Blood and said "that's the guy! That's who I wanna play! Is filling out government forms manipulation + academics cause you know I have to be boss at that dice pool!"
                          Last edited by rat_bastard; 08-09-2017, 08:59 PM.

Comment

And an interesting thread about surprisingly useful mundane objects turnt into a gun thread...

I think an often overlooked asset to a Haven is something as simple as "sprinklers". It's cheap, it's common, easy to install and could save a Vampire's unlife in a lot of ways. I find it interesting that when discussing haven security and defences seldom players think of this.

Comment

OK folks, we aren't having any Dark Ages love. Anyone have good ideas for medieval times?

My contribution is a nice bottle of bitumen.

Comment

Originally posted by g3taso View Post
                                OK folks, we aren't having any Dark Ages love. Anyone have good ideas for medieval times?
                                As good a knife as your apparent social standing allows, for small repairs, cutting up food on the go, and of course slitting throats.

Craig Oxbrow
                                The Trinity Continuum freelancer

Comment

Working...
                                X