Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fashion and the Damned, what is your character's style?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fashion and the Damned, what is your character's style?

Dress to your heart's content but always remember the Masquerade, over the top clothing tend to be noticed. And smart Kindred don't want to be noticed. I'm looking at you, the Toreador in the back with the lace skirt and tophat! However this doesn't mean we should all dress in plain jeans and t-shirts, but keep it realistic, blood stains are hard to get rid off and brand stores don't open up this late at night.

So, what is your character's usual dressing style?

Oh and for those who think fashion is irrelevant, there's a murder of Harpies in Elysium waiting for you...
    Last edited by Shawarbaaz; 08-09-2017, 01:04 PM.

My current character is a bit of a blue-collar redneck and is a Gangrel, typically clad in a gray tank top and blood-stained blue jeans, as well as a simple pair of black sneakers. Sometimes she switches out her tank top for a dingy Sailor Moon T-shirt she bought back in 1999.

Occasionally she may wear a black leather jacket, but only if it's cold outside, as to maintain the Masquerade.
    Last edited by Camilla; 08-09-2017, 09:14 PM.

Comment

I got a Lasombra professor of ancient history whose style of dress is best described as "The-dad-from-Family-Ties-ish".

Light inspires illusion and interpretation. Truth can only be found in darkness.

Comment

Originally posted by 12dollarburrito View Post
        I got a Lasombra professor of ancient history whose style of dress is best described as "The-dad-from-Family-Ties-ish".
        What kinds of clothing does this character of yours like to wear?

Comment

My old Ventrue usually wore a beige trench coat to hide his stab-proof vest and, sensible shoes and sometimes a cheap suit. Yes, he dressed exactly like Columbo. He was made fun of a lot... at least until he and his coterie dragged the staked body of the traitorous Toreador primogen turned Bali into Elysium. It got pretty quiet afterwards...

Comment

Originally posted by Davesknd View Post
            (...) the traitorous Toreador primogen turned Bali (...)
            How did this Toreador Primogen become a Baali within your V:tM game?
            Last edited by Muad'Dib; 08-10-2017, 04:48 PM.

Comment

For a while, I played a librarian Brujah who was kind of obsessed with the idea that "acting normal" was the definition of Humanity. Each year he filled his closet with whatever was on sale at K-Mart the week of his birthday. He figured it was kind of a random sample thing.

Of course, he also always kept half a bottle of milk and a half loaf of bread in his kitchen.

Don't get too excited about his masquerade skills. He was embraced in 1974 and had the mutton chops and "Freddie Prinze in Chico and the Man" hair-do to prove it.

Comment

My Malkavian has more money than God and pays a dozen people with more taste than the entire staffs of top fashion magazines put together to dress him every evening after he awakens and feeds. Both his high levels of Auspex and his Insight are perfectly attuned to trends in both fashion and finance. Whatever the next best dressed person in the room is wearing, he exceeds it by an order of magnitude. He doesn't care about the Harpies, because he is The Harpy of Harpies.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
                  My Malkavian (...)
                  How many dollars does he have, this V:tM character that you play (or played) ?

Comment

Enough to make Scrooge McDuck literally die from pure envy.

If you mean from a mechanical standpoint, we'd ditched Background ratings above 5 and adapted the Wealth Beyond Avarice ability from Adventure!. His financial power pretty much became a plot device, mainly because the Storyteller trusted me not to abuse it.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

I'll bring up five characters, my TC Tremere, two different Lasombra antitribu, my recent Telyav, and my Ventrue antitribu I'm currently playing.

My TC Tremere would stomp around in his old Roman lorica (PC was an old-ass mage) and a simple tunic/trousers, underneath a heavy cowled robe. Even in modern nights, because the PC was so old, powerful, and set in his ways he just no longer gave a damn. The character ended up with the Horrific Appearance flaw, and not having Obfuscate meant needing to wear something that hid his entire body. Hilarious part was, the character took a hit so rarely every time it happened, I had to remind my ST he actually wore armor, and that he'd enchanted it in the first downtime to a truly ludicrous degree (it had 8 armor soak, if I remember right).

My first Lasombra antitribu, who was an actor from the '40s who did war propaganda films and USO appearances before being embraced, always wore tailored, period suits with accessory choices every bit as exacting and deliberate as one would expect.

My second one just wore off-the-rack business suits, no tie, and no accessories. His backstory was a KGB operative, so his style was "be as forgettable as possible".

My Telyav was a new age hippie type and yoga instructor, so she'd dress accordingly with the bit of contemporary athletic style here and there. She was super-heavy tattooed, so she'd always dress to show off her ink, too.

My Ventrue antitribu I'm currently playing is a bit of a combination of the first four. He's a Sabbat defector and serves as the Ventrue Primogen's enforcer (and as de facto whip), and he has the Bruiser merit, so he dresses in power suits somewhere between "Secret Service agent" and "Man in Black"; except, his suits are tailored to accentuate body armor and shoulder-holstered pistol rather than hide it. He also has Glowing Eyes, which necessitates shades, befitting the overall look.

I'll add a sixth for funsies, and that's a Szantovich Tzimisce I played in an aborted TC run. That wasn't so much fashion as she went around naked and just didn't give a shit, but all about personal appearance as she was sixth gen, had the Promethean Clay merit, and two levels of Vicissitude 6 (Graft Life to Life, and Entrail Saraband). Basically, she turned herself into a V:tDA version of Sarah Kerrigan, right down to the blade-wings; except, her "dreadlocks" were her own entrails. When that chronicle aborted, I'd gotten Majesty, was working my way towards Acid Blood, and was hammering out a Presence 5/Vicissitude 4 combination discipline that would have been a "social" version of Zulo form.

Comment

Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post
                        How did this Toreador Primogen become a Baali within your V:tM game?
                        I don't know! I never found out! Prince wanted me to get rid of her and we did. I didn't ask that many questions when she was throwing fire at our Brujah... There was indication that she was just demon possessed and she thought that she was a Baali, but again: I was more interested in surviving.

Comment

Originally posted by Davesknd View Post
                          (...) I was more interested in surviving.
                          Why was your character more interested in surviving?

Comment

Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post
                            Why was your character more interested in surviving?
                            Because at the time there were two different, competing demon cults in the city, my character's haven had been compromised and demonism was the kind of knowledge that he really didn't want to deal with.

Comment

I tend to go with very similar outfits, given what I prefer myself. But usually this relates to formal or semi-formal attire.
                              My first Ventrue and Nosferatu, as well as a later Lasombra, would always wear suits and fuss of making a mess of them (as is almost inevitable during fights).
                              I had one Tzimisce that dressed as a doctor most often (scrubs and labcoat) and one who adopted more ancient fashion (cravats and the like).
                              My most recent Setite and Gangrel most often wore sweaters or turtlenecks.

Comment

Working...
                              X